The Hungarians

Moderator: france-eesti

User avatar
Levo
Posts: 3231
Joined: 2006-10-29, 10:22
Gender: male
Location: Tallinn
Country: EE Estonia (Eesti)

Re: The Hungarians

Postby Levo » 2009-07-19, 12:55

I read the first twenty, and they are almost all true :)
To be honest, they sound like "Why? Is it elsehow in other places?"

Jolien
Posts: 27
Joined: 2009-09-14, 14:12
Real Name: Jolien
Gender: female
Country: HU Hungary (Magyarország)

Re: The Hungarians

Postby Jolien » 2009-09-14, 18:27

In one sentence I'd say:

Very friendly people, though a little obsessed with their history and (I believe) therefore rather pessimistic..

But that's in one sentence. ;D Plus, I mainly met the "older" people, in a small town...

User avatar
Zorba
Posts: 3169
Joined: 2006-03-24, 21:09

Re: The Hungarians

Postby Zorba » 2009-09-15, 5:48

48. When your language has two words for love.

What are the "two words for love"?

User avatar
Lalaith en Noldor
Posts: 387
Joined: 2009-05-03, 18:12
Gender: female
Location: Budapest
Country: HR Croatia (Hrvatska)

Re: The Hungarians

Postby Lalaith en Noldor » 2009-09-15, 14:54

Szerelem és szeretet. :)
(hr) - native, (en) - proficient, (hu) - advanced, (pl)- dabbling in, (de) - love-hate relationship

Jolien
Posts: 27
Joined: 2009-09-14, 14:12
Real Name: Jolien
Gender: female
Country: HU Hungary (Magyarország)

Re: The Hungarians

Postby Jolien » 2009-09-15, 15:21

Lalaith en Noldor wrote:Szerelem és szeretet. :)


I haven't heard of the second 'till now, when do you use that form then?

User avatar
Lalaith en Noldor
Posts: 387
Joined: 2009-05-03, 18:12
Gender: female
Location: Budapest
Country: HR Croatia (Hrvatska)

Re: The Hungarians

Postby Lalaith en Noldor » 2009-09-15, 15:42

Ezt a szótárban találtam. Azt hiszem, hogy valószínűleg nincs a különbség.
(hr) - native, (en) - proficient, (hu) - advanced, (pl)- dabbling in, (de) - love-hate relationship

User avatar
Kenny
Posts: 4919
Joined: 2008-08-22, 20:51
Real Name: Gábor
Gender: male
Location: Budapest
Country: HU Hungary (Magyarország)

Re: The Hungarians

Postby Kenny » 2009-09-15, 15:58

Szerelem: love you feel for someone you're in love with.
Szeretet: love for your friends and for family members etc.

nickshanks
Posts: 2
Joined: 2009-10-04, 15:28
Real Name: Nicholas Shanks
Gender: male
Location: Hatfield
Country: GB United Kingdom (United Kingdom)

Re: The Hungarians

Postby nickshanks » 2009-10-04, 16:47

You Know You're Hungarian...

1. When you use sour cream more than ketchup.

My mum and grandma do that. I hate the stuff.

5. When Paprika is just as important as salt & pepper on the table & in food.

This is true.

10. When you have at least one relative who's named Attila. Or József. Or János. Or László. Or István.

I have relatives named József, János and László.

12. When you know that the "goulash" you see in many restaurants has in actuality little/nothing to do with the gulyás leves we really eat.

Lots of words are appropriated from other languages and change meaning in the process.

13. When meeting another Hungarian in a country outside of Hungary is amazing.

Uhh, not to me.

15. When you love Turó Rudi but can't really explain to foreigners what the hell it is until they try it.

Is that like gombapörkölt or káposztás tészta?

16. When your foreign friends ask you if you still believe that Santa Claus brings the presents on the night between December 24th-25th... then you answer somehow confused that Santa Claus brings the presents on the 6th of December and it is actually Little Jesus who brings the presents on Christmas, but the presents are already there on the 24th at 6PM.

Did you put your shoes on the window sill?

17. When a pancake is extremely flat in your country and you roll it up instead of folding it.

That's true everywhere except the US.

20. When guys keep telling you that Hungarian girls are the cutest and prettiest and they hope that you believe it and they get laid.

But it's true! (my phone number goes here)

21. When they wanna show off by saying that they know your capital: Bucharest and no, they are not joking!

Would you sleep with me if I could pronounce Pest correctly? :)

26. When you start counting on your hand with one being the thumb.

I most primates of genus Homo do that.

31. When you have difficulty pronouncing words starting with "W" in English, but you're capable of creating long and meaningful sentences using only "E" vowels in your mother tongue.

Hmm, I have no difficulty pronouncing words that start with a W, but cannot think of a long or meaningful sentence in English using only the vowel E.

39. When zou cant tzpe on and english kezboard because y and z are mixed up.

German keyboards also have y and z swapped relative to English.

40. When you know the difference between s and sz. and also u and ü.

I know the difference between s and sz, but not u and ü. (Do I get a point if I know the difference between a and á instead?)

42. When you understand cynicism and sarcasm; and you at often times are cynical/sarcastic yourself.

Nothing unique to hungarians.

59. When you can pronounce easily long words like: megszentségtelenitéshetetlenségeskedéseitekért and you even know it has a meaning.

Okay, you win.

60. When you smuggle in drinks and food in your bag when you go to the cinema, just to save money.

In England you don't have to smuggle them. And in Scotland you are expected to provide your own.

67. When you tell to every single person that the Rubik's cube was invented in Hungary.

Everyone already knows.

68. When for every meaning there are about 5 words.

In English, every meaning has about 10 words.

69. When any foreigner's passing mention of Transylvania will set off a twenty-minute rant about the Treaty of Trianon.

So raise an army and get it back.

71. When you start singing one of the saddest songs at midnight on New Years Eve when everybody else is happy as can be.

At least you have Szent István nap.

73. When you say 'Jó étvágyat' before you start a meal and "Egészségedre" if somebody is sneezing or for drinking.

I say Egészségedre but not Jó étvágyat.

74. When you steal sugar packets from different coffee places.

I prefer to pinch them from McDonalds because I don't like that company.

77. When the telephone rings in your house, everybody yells "telefon!!!" as if people needed to be told that the phone was ringing, and needed to be picked up.

Haha, yes!

80. When your parents could tell if you were lying as a kid by feeling how 'soft' the tip of your nose was.

Hmm :( I missed out on that I think.

81. When you can make astonishingly delicious dishes without spending more than 3 euros (krumplis tészta, káposztás tészta, túrós tészta).

I can't cook any of that for myself. I wish I could because it's the best food on the planet.

84. If you've never been to a school in America, you are scared shit of it, because all you ever see about it on the news are the school shootings.

But the vampires should make you feel more at home.

87. When you love to swim, and swim in one of Budapest's outdoor pools at least 2 times a week.

Oh dear. I only went once a week. Maybe because I'm only half hungarian.

93. When you laugh at Americans who think paying $3.00/gallon for gas is a lot.

When I'm King of the USA, after giving most of the land back to the natives, I would apply a five-fold tax on petrol. That will get them out of those SUVs and Hummers, and back to the real world.

97. If you are not a native Hungarian, and other Hungarians can tell, and when you go visit Hungary/Budapest you feel like person a non-grata when you're there 'cause a lot of people will assume things about you and think you're super rich and automatically be jealous of you, and then go out of their way to try to make you unhappy.

I will have to try that one.

99. When you are having a hard time explaining to any foreigner that actually, your family name is the first in your name, and it is not your given one.

Try your luck in France with this one. Bon chance.

100. When everyone having ever lived in Hungary has at least one acquaintance of each of the following surname groups: Kis(s), Nagy, Varga, Kovács, Toth and maybe even Béres and Balogh.

I know people called Nagy and Toth.

101. When you've traveled to/vacationed in/visited at least 10 countries in your life.

Does the Black Country count?

102. When you don't use measuring cups when cooking.

That one is only relevant to females. Males from all countries skip this step.

105. When you live abroad and you could kill to eat proper Hungarian food!!

Ahh! I miss hungarian food all the time.

106. When your neighbor sun tans topless.

He's indian, so it wouldn't be a surprise if he did.

107. When people question you for eating a sandwich for breakfast.

Say what? Nobody would do that.

108. When mixing red wine and coke is a delicious combination and you can't believe that foreigners think it's weird.

Do you dissolve the coke in the wine or just snort it whilst drinking?

109. When every 2nd person you know is either a Gábor, Feri, Csaba, György, István, Éva, Bea, Eszter, etc.

György van.

113. When you know that CS, DZ, DZS, GY, LY, NY, etc. are all ONE LETTER, and when telling it to your foreign friends, they all think it's weird.

I don't tell people this. They should already know it.

114. When you say 'Szia' or 'Hello' instead of 'Viszlát' to your friends when you say good-bye to them, and your foreign friends think it's weird as well.

I use szia or viszontlátásra.

117. When you have a bumper sticker on your car or map in your home of "Nagy Magyarország."

I have the map.

118. When you smuggle salami back from Hungary.

I usually use couriers for this as I don't visit very often.

119. When you can (actually) pronounce gy, as in HOGY VAGY - and not say hogi-vagi.

With english graphemes I would try to write it as "hodge vardge" (non-rhotic)

120. When you think it's weird that Americans don't have gates around their homes.

I prefer the automated heat-tracking gun turret myself.

129. When you have to stand out in the rain to grow tall.

Another one I did not hear in my childhood.

135. When there are more books in your apartment than in a foreign friend's entire neighborhood.

Well why else would you have a Library Room?

136. When you speak to foreign people in Hungarian, but slower and louder than normal to make your language understandable!

I think the reputation of the English for doing this (Especially in southern Spain) is greater than that of the Hungarians.

139. When you are a citizen of the only country that has a crown with a tilted cross on the top.

The Italians have a wonky tower and England has plenty of crooked church spires.

146. When you can't simply say "Fine, thanks" when someone asks "How are you?" but rather, you go into the details of your life.

Well then they shouldn't ask.

149. When your foreign friends have a hard time understanding that your friends in Slovakia and Transylvania are Hungarians by birth but not Hungarian citizens.

Aussies will relate well to this.

150. When you blame everything on the Communists.

Communism isn't so bad, it's just that the only people who have tried it were all maniacs.

151. When you don't waste food... you save the leftovers for the next day.

That's normal, everyone does that.

155. When you go to visit Hungary, and no matter how many times you tell people you're from CANADA, they still think you're American.

Err, but Canada is in America? It's the country to the north of the United States and to the west of Kalaallit Nunaat.

157. When you rub a bronze horses balls for good luck.

Oh? I will have to pretend to be a bronze horse more often.

164. When you have to explain the difference between the Hungarian flag and the Italian one.

Don;t forget the Irish one.

171. When you fill your fridge completely after a simple day of shopping.

Another thing common across the globe.

172. When you are in day camp and are envying the other kids who have peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on white bread while you, the immigrant, have Hungarian salami and smoked ham sandwiches with hot mustard on rye... and NO ONE will trade with you.

How do you put a jelly in your sandwiches?

174. When you go to a real hardcore British pub in London and they won't even serve you because you're "a bloody Polish or Latvian or something like that" because of your accent.

Well if yer din't speek nofink like a Lond'ner whatd'ya ek spect?

176. When you're a teenage girl, old women come up to you, grab you by the hips, shake you a little, and declare/order: "Larrge hípsz! Eez gööd forr making bébísz -- YOU MEET MY SON."

i AM her son!

177. When you can't imagine any of your daily meals without meat - preferably red, mainly from pork- and/or bread which has to be the old school CE European "paraszt" loaf.

I go for schnizel/snitzel myself.

179. When you go to a restaurant you put the bread from the table into your bag so you can eat it at home.

You need a bigger stomach!

181. When your grandmother tells you that if you make a certain face it will stay that way if you do it for too long.

OMG! Is that a hungarian thing? I never realised.

182. When the family band breaks out the cimbalom, hegedű, duda, and tárogató after eating csirke paprikás for lunch on a Sunday afternoon!

Sunday Lunch is always the culinary highlight of the week.

191. When you eat pizza with a fork and knife.

You can tell where people are from in the US by how they eat pizza:
North East: Fold a slice in half lengthways so all the filling is on the inside
Mid-West: Your pizza is rectangular.
South: Knife and fork.
West coast: They eat normal-shaped pizzas in a normal fashion.

197. When your grandmother/mother wakes you up at half past six in the morning by opening the windows and pulling off your blanket/duvet.

I don't think they would have done that more than once.

209. When feeding a baby canned food is unheard of, down right cruel, and heartless.

Well of course it is. You should open the can and take the food out first.

225. When, for those living in the U.S., you wake up to DUNA television on weekend mornings.

Why only weekends?

226. When your mother makes noodles for the pörkölt, nokedli!

Oh my god yes.

Bondi
Posts: 95
Joined: 2007-07-13, 7:59
Gender: male
Location: Brum
Country: GB United Kingdom (United Kingdom)

Re: The Hungarians

Postby Bondi » 2009-10-10, 19:42

nickshanks wrote:15. When you love Turó Rudi but can't really explain to foreigners what the hell it is until they try it.

Is that like gombapörkölt or káposztás tészta?


No, it is a dark chocolate finger with cottage cheese filling.
http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Túró_Rudi

31. When you have difficulty pronouncing words starting with "W" in English, but you're capable of creating long and meaningful sentences using only "E" vowels in your mother tongue.

Hmm, I have no difficulty pronouncing words that start with a W, but cannot think of a long or meaningful sentence in English using only the vowel E.

59. When you can pronounce easily long words like: megszentségtelenitéshetetlenségeskedéseitekért and you even know it has a meaning.
Okay, you win.

I can even combine these two, one long word with the vowel E:
legeslegmegvesztegethetetlenebbeknek (~to the ones who can hardly be bribed)

68. When for every meaning there are about 5 words.

In English, every meaning has about 10 words.

No, it's the other way round in English: for 1 word, there's 10 meanings. I.e. verbs: get, have, take, put... :)

81. When you can make astonishingly delicious dishes without spending more than 3 euros (krumplis tészta, káposztás tészta, túrós tészta).

I can't cook any of that for myself. I wish I could because it's the best food on the planet.

LoL, even I can "cook" them! You just chuck the pasta in boiling water for 15 minutes, then mix them with the cottage cheese ( -> túrós tészta), or cheese ( -> sajtos tészta), poppy seed ( -> mákos tészta), etc. and add salt. :)

99. When you are having a hard time explaining to any foreigner that actually, your family name is the first in your name, and it is not your given one.

Try your luck in France with this one. Bon chance.

Regarding the French, my only experience with French names is that they are tricky! You see that you'll have a meeting with a Luca or a Dominique, so you expect a nice French blonde and then a bald middle-age bloke turns up!

101. When you've traveled to/vacationed in/visited at least 10 countries in your life.

Does the Black Country count?

Heh? You mean the yam-yams, mate? No, they don't. :D

150. When you blame everything on the Communists.

Communism isn't so bad, it's just that the only people who have tried it were all maniacs.

If that's so, then same goes for National-Socialism!

174. When you go to a real hardcore British pub in London and they won't even serve you because you're "a bloody Polish or Latvian or something like that" because of your accent.

Well if yer din't speek nofink like a Lond'ner whatd'ya ek spect?

And wha' if oy'm an Ungarian 'avin' a Brummey accen'? Is tha' orroy in bleeding Loondon, then? :D

177. When you can't imagine any of your daily meals without meat - preferably red, mainly from pork- and/or bread which has to be the old school CE European "paraszt" loaf.

I go for schnizel/snitzel myself.

Ach so! Aber im Ungarn du mußt "rántott szelet" sagen. (Or perhaps: snicli [sh-n-i-ts-l-y].)

197. When your grandmother/mother wakes you up at half past six in the morning by opening the windows and pulling off your blanket/duvet.

I don't think they would have done that more than once.

Worst thing is that they still come in when you're older and you're in the process of enjoying the morning in bed with your missus. :)

209. When feeding a baby canned food is unheard of, down right cruel, and heartless.

Well of course it is. You should open the can and take the food out first.

Guess what, I saw young mothers let their babies drink coke and eat crisps and crap like that in England.
But I think now it's the same in Budapest for younger generations... A proper McDonalds junk food generation grew up.
Last edited by Bondi on 2009-10-22, 17:06, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Lapset ja bodom
Posts: 6
Joined: 2009-10-10, 17:57
Real Name: Alexi Grönholm
Gender: male
Location: Born in Helsinki Now i live in Amsterdam
Country: NL The Netherlands (Nederland)
Contact:

Re: The Hungarians

Postby Lapset ja bodom » 2009-10-11, 12:11

I wanna learn Hungarian.Who can teach me?
I am born in Helsinki (Finland)
Now i live in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
I like to learn Hungarian who likes to teach me comment me. ;)
I can talk Dutch Finnish and English.
I can make a lot of orthography mistakes cause i have dyslexia.

benoit
Posts: 61
Joined: 2007-08-17, 18:43
Real Name: Benoit Mantel
Gender: male
Location: Dnepropetrovsk
Contact:

Re: The Hungarians

Postby benoit » 2009-10-16, 23:16

Lalaith en Noldor wrote:You Know You're Hungarian...


wow 226 !
but actually it seems that half of them are valid for many other countries too : P

Tripix
Posts: 4
Joined: 2009-11-12, 9:27
Real Name: (= d(-_-)b =)
Country: PL Poland (Polska)

Re: The Hungarians

Postby Tripix » 2009-11-12, 9:54

Oh ... xD
My hungarian Friends , says me (Slovaks on the question offended and do not want to talk) <=Strange people.......

Why Slovaks dont like Hungarians / Hungarians dont like Slovaks ;]
=)

Bondi
Posts: 95
Joined: 2007-07-13, 7:59
Gender: male
Location: Brum
Country: GB United Kingdom (United Kingdom)

Re: The Hungarians

Postby Bondi » 2009-11-15, 19:32

Tripix wrote:Oh ... xD
My hungarian Friends , says me (Slovaks on the question offended and do not want to talk) <=Strange people.......

Why Slovaks dont like Hungarians / Hungarians dont like Slovaks ;]

It is because we are older than Slovakia... :)

Well, generally they do not like Hungarians because their chauvinist Slovak government encourage them to do so. They want them to think that the only way to be a proud Slovak is to hate Hungarians.
Image

User avatar
Levo
Posts: 3231
Joined: 2006-10-29, 10:22
Gender: male
Location: Tallinn
Country: EE Estonia (Eesti)

Re: The Hungarians

Postby Levo » 2009-11-16, 22:32

Tripix wrote:Oh ... xD
My hungarian Friends , says me (Slovaks on the question offended and do not want to talk) <=Strange people.......

Why Slovaks dont like Hungarians / Hungarians dont like Slovaks ;]

The fact is that we have no problem with Slovaks. From time to time we just hear that Slovak politicians do this or that, state chauvinist things and we just stand there surprised when hearing these news, don't even understand the whole attitude and the real causes either.

User avatar
nJohn West-Hungary
Posts: 679
Joined: 2004-12-31, 15:26
Real Name: John Nemeth
Gender: male
Location: Szombathely / Steinamanger / Savaria
Country: HU Hungary (Magyarország)

Re: The Hungarians

Postby nJohn West-Hungary » 2009-11-18, 17:26

Bondi wrote:
Tripix wrote:Oh ... xD
My hungarian Friends , says me (Slovaks on the question offended and do not want to talk) <=Strange people.......

Why Slovaks dont like Hungarians / Hungarians dont like Slovaks ;]

It is because we are older than Slovakia... :)

Well, generally they do not like Hungarians because their chauvinist Slovak government encourage them to do so. They want them to think that the only way to be a proud Slovak is to hate Hungarians.




The Slovaks and Hungarians' confrontation is a political hysteria hatching. Their aim is the full assimilation .

Already between civil relations, then in the era of the so-called socialism, the Hungarian nationalities' assimilation accelerated up. The Slovaks more than 100% his growth cannot be explained with the natural progeny, since was identical roughly with the Slovakian Hungarians'. That fact supports this, that currently the Frequentest one which can be found in Slovakia ten surnames Hungarian:

Horváth, Horvát 30.100
Kovács, Kovac 29.500
Tóth, Tót 20.900
Nagy, Nad 20.000
Balázs, Baláž 14.500
Molnár 11. 000
Balogh, Balog 11.000
Lukács, Lukác 9.900
Szabó, Sabo -



from: http://www.hungarianhistory.com/lib/balassa/balassa.pdf


and more:

http://www.hungarianhistory.com/lib/index.htm


The assimilative process and its beat :

LANGUAGE assimilation: 1 - 2 generation
CULTURAL assimilation: 3 - 6 generation
IDENTITY assimilation: 6 - 20 generation

( E.G: MAGYARAB-s in Egypt and Sudan. )


.

User avatar
Rasa
Posts: 77
Joined: 2009-04-23, 16:55
Gender: female
Location: Vilnius
Country: LT Lithuania (Lietuva)

Re: The Hungarians

Postby Rasa » 2010-04-02, 21:15

My friend told me hungarians have a great sense of humor. But she knows few hungarians, I don't know any so far. Do hungarians consider themselves being witty? What do they like making fun of? :)
Gerai ten, kur manęs nėra. Jeigu netikit - galiu ateit.

User avatar
'''
Posts: 1748
Joined: 2008-08-29, 14:20
Real Name: Withheld
Gender: male
Location: Canberra
Country: AU Australia (Australia)
Contact:

Re: The Hungarians

Postby ''' » 2010-04-03, 3:55

everything, and ourself twice as much. Humor is how we deal with the messes we make. In my opinion our jokes are also like aesop's fables they contain all our wisdom. Every situation can be compared to a hungarian joke. Lithuanian jokes though....wtf?
26/♂/hetero/Hu/★☭/PRESCRIPTIVIST
(en)(hu) - native
(de)(fr)(fa) - intermediate

User avatar
Rasa
Posts: 77
Joined: 2009-04-23, 16:55
Gender: female
Location: Vilnius
Country: LT Lithuania (Lietuva)

Re: The Hungarians

Postby Rasa » 2010-04-04, 11:01

Cool, It would be nice to hear some typical hungarian jokes.
It's strange but some time ago I felt like hungarians and lithuanians do have something in common, although I could not tell yet what that is exactly. Maybe that feeling came from reading some posts in this and other topics. Now I'm interested if this intuition has a ground.

As for lithuanian humor, lithuanians are quite pessimistic people and so their humor is usually ironic or sarcastic, sometimes quite specific and so difficult to understand for others. I remember posting some of typical lithuanian jokes about a hedgehog viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26821 and oh, it was your topic!:) Haha, lithuanians would really like that one about a bear. :lol:

Are hungarians pessimistic people? I have to confess that I don't know almost anything about hungarians but as I mentioned some posts made me think that hungarians are also quite pessimistic and critical for themselves and the the surrounding world (just like lithuanians). And I also think that could produce similar sense of humor, because, IMO, humor is the best and the most natural way for human beings to resist negative atmosphere.
Gerai ten, kur manęs nėra. Jeigu netikit - galiu ateit.

User avatar
'''
Posts: 1748
Joined: 2008-08-29, 14:20
Real Name: Withheld
Gender: male
Location: Canberra
Country: AU Australia (Australia)
Contact:

Re: The Hungarians

Postby ''' » 2010-04-04, 11:21

one of my favourites which sums up our attitude is:

A peasant's only cow dies. A fairy comes along and says "I'm having a good day, I'll grant you one wish". The peasant looks at his dead cow and says: "I want my neighbour's cow to die too"


Many of them are also based on the animals of the forest like russian jokes.

I also like:

The rabbit is going to the hedgehog to ask to borrow his lawnmower. on the way the rabbit thinks, "hedgehog may not want to lend me his lawnmower". A little while later he stops and thinks "Last week when I asked to borrow his ladder he said no too" but he keeps going. A little later he stops again and thinks, "In fact he probably won't lend me his lawnmower". Finally he arrives at hedgehog's house and knocks on the door. While he waits he thinks "Hedgehog is a real asshole because he won't lend me his lawnmower". When hedgehog opens the door to ask rabbit what he wants, rabbit says "fuck you and your lawnmower" and goes home.

as for pessimism we have many commie jokes:

Saint peter looks down and sees Nixon crying on the whitehouse steps. He comes down and asks Nixon what's wrong. Nixon says "I'm sad because the russians have sent a man into space and we haven't." Saint peter replies "but you have a much better quality of life." Nixon cheers up and goes inside.
Later, Saint peter sees Brezhnev crying on the Kremlin steps and he comes down to ask him what's wrong. Brezhnev says "the americans have a high quality of life and ours sucks." "St peter replies "but you've sent a man into space, be happy about that" Brezhnev cheers up and goes inside.
Later st Peter sees Kádár (our guy) crying on the steps of the Országház and comes down and cries with him.
26/♂/hetero/Hu/★☭/PRESCRIPTIVIST
(en)(hu) - native
(de)(fr)(fa) - intermediate

User avatar
kotrcka
Posts: 402
Joined: 2010-03-27, 17:49
Real Name: Peter Kotrčka
Gender: male
Country: CZ Czech Republic (Česká republika)

Re: The Hungarians

Postby kotrcka » 2010-04-04, 12:48

Bondi wrote:
Tripix wrote:Oh ... xD
My hungarian Friends , says me (Slovaks on the question offended and do not want to talk) <=Strange people.......

Why Slovaks dont like Hungarians / Hungarians dont like Slovaks ;]

It is because we are older than Slovakia... :)

Well, generally they do not like Hungarians because their chauvinist Slovak government encourage them to do so. They want them to think that the only way to be a proud Slovak is to hate Hungarians.
Image


Hmmm..

1. older? I do not think so. old hungarians came into central europe in around a year 1000 - and other slavic nations were there for centuries at that time (including slovaks - or whatever we call them (us))

2. politicians - i think the problem is on both sides - here in Slovakia the main hype is made by SNS (Slovak National Party - and its leader called Slota) and on other side there is Jobbik. So there is no good and bad side - Slovakia and Hungaria are both putting oil into a fire.

But - I live in a city, where we have abou 20-30 percent of hungarian population. And everything is OK - noone is burning a house of hungarian (or slovak) neighbour, noone is shooting, etc.

I do not like Hungaria as a country (I prefer countries with mountains) and I do not like hungarian language (mainly because I can not learn it - it is soooo hard for me). But do I hate Hungaria and its people? No way.
Knowledge: Slovak, Czech, English


Return to “Hungarian (Magyar)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest