Hungarian accent

Moderator: france-eesti

macGio

Hungarian accent

Postby macGio » 2006-09-16, 14:03

Hi, about that thing that according to Hungarians should be on the first syllable..

I'm not sure of what a Hungarian perceives as a tonic accent. But it surely isn't the same thing as in Italian or the other Romance languages. I often get the impression that Hungarian words have an accent off the first syllable, like "jÓ napÓt kívÁnok".
Italian accents are rhythmic. In an Italian song you'd never put an accented syllable off the beat. (Well it happens but not often) I think it has something to do with the loudness of the syllable, its intensity.
In Hungarian it's not at all like this. So, is it a question of pitch? (trebleness) or what else?

...I don't think it's an easy question, I don't even know what I feel as an accent in my language, but I'm interested in the Hungarians' opinion

CoBB

Re: Hungarian accent

Postby CoBB » 2006-09-17, 6:43

macGio wrote:jÓ napOt kívÁnok

Well, the way I say it, there's no stress on 'napot', and the í in 'kívánok' is pronounced short and stressed.

Ahogy én mondom, a „napot”-on nincs hangsúly, és a „kívánok” í-je röviden és hangsúlyosan ejtődik.

macGio wrote:In Hungarian it's not at all like this. So, is it a question of pitch? (trebleness) or what else?

No, pitch is used to give an arc to the whole sentence. Especially questions can have quite varied pitch patterns. Stress is more like momentum in my opinion, a burst of energy that makes the syllable stronger and louder.

Nem, a hangmagassággal ívet adunk a teljes mondatnak. Különösen a kérdéseknek lehetnek nagyon eltérő dallamaik. A hangsúly szerintem inkább lendület, egy energialöket, amelytől a szótag erősebb és hangosabb lesz.
Tanulni, tanulni, tanulni!

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

macGio

Postby macGio » 2006-09-19, 19:17

Yes.. ok
I have listend to some recordings on the Net. The only cd's I had (which accompanied a book) aren't probably that good.. at least they have very monotone voices. (well I guess it's not that fun to be reading stupid dialogues for a course :wink: ) However I always find it amazing how you have to grow accustomed to a language to hear something the right way - you don't even hear the right sounds if you don't understand the words...

nJohn West-Hungary

Postby nJohn West-Hungary » 2007-02-24, 16:19

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2007-02-24, 18:14

I checked out a few courses, and as far as sound recordings are concerned, I definitely recommend Colloquial Hungarian. It’s almost natural. :shock: The speakers use proper intonation and normal speed too. Besides, it’s the only one that didn’t give me unstoppable fits of laughter. ;)

Megnéztem néhány tanfolyamot, és a hanganyagok miatt határozottan tudom ajánlani a Colloquial Hungarian-t. Szinte természetesen hangzik. :shock: A beszélők rendes hanglejtéssel és normális sebességgel beszélnek. Ráadásul ez volt az egyetlen, amitől nem kaptam megállíthatatlan röhögőgörcsöt. ;)
Tanulni, tanulni, tanulni!

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

Return to “Hungarian (Magyar)”