Translation help request...

Moderator:voron

Nicksdad
Translation help request...

Postby Nicksdad » 2020-10-13, 1:47

Hi everyone!

I hope someone can help me with a translation, but I'm not even sure what language I'm looking at.

Backstory: I found a document that i think is around 120 years old. It was from my mother's father, some time before he immigrated to the united states. He was Greek, but I think he lived on an island under Turkish control. I have no idea what this document is about. It appears to be some official government document. Someone wrote his name on it (in Greek - that's the only thing i can read on it), but it seems like it's not an official part of the document.

I've tried using Google translate on small parts of it but I can't get any meaningful translation. Nothing consistent, nothing coherent. I'm only guessing it's Persian because that's what Google translate detected most often. It could be Turkish, or some dialect of Persian. Given it's age, I'm guessing it's nothing modern.

I'll attach part of it, just to see if anyone can help. There's a lot of writing, so there would have to be a methodical way of going through it.

20201012_213908.jpg

Thank you so much for taking a look at it. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...this has been a family mystery for a long time!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Translation help request...

Postby Multiturquoise » 2020-10-13, 12:31

This is part of some law in Ottoman Turkish.

I'll write this in modern Turkish writing.

Sicili Nüfus Nizamnamesinin Beşinci Maddesi

Tebaa-i Devlet-i Aliyye'den her şahıs emval gayrimenkule bey' ve ferağ ve intikalinde ve bir memuriyet ve hizmete intihap ve tayininde ve mektebe duhûlünde ve tekaüd ve ma'zuliyyet maaşına istihkakında ve mürûr tezkeresi ve pasaport ahzında ve polis muamelatına ve mehakime müracaatında ve münakehatında nüfus tezkeresi ibraz etmeye mecburdur. Gösteremediği hâlde hususatı mezkûrenin icrası sicili nüfusa kayıt olunduğunu mübeyyin tezkere ahz edinceye kadar tehir olunur. Tezkirei osmaniyeyi sahte olarak yapan veya tağyir ve tahrif eden ve bu makule sahte tezkireyi bilerek isti'mâl eyleyenler Ceza Kanunu'nun yüz elli yedinci maddesi mucibince bir seneden üç seneye kadar hapis ile mücazat edilir.
native: (tr)
advanced: (en) (el)
intermediate: (fr) (ka)
focus: (de) (sl) (hr)

Nicksdad

Postby Nicksdad » 2020-10-13, 15:49

Thank you so much!!

I truly appreciate your quick response and the effort you took!

May I impose on you to do the same for the other side of the document? I completely understand if you don't have the time, but even if you could write the main parts in modern turkish, it would help me get an idea of what it's about.

20160623_230709_1466738357237.jpg

Again, thank you very much for your generosity with your time!

Mike
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2020-10-13, 15:51

Nicksdad wrote:I hope someone can help me with a translation, but I'm not even sure what language I'm looking at.

I've moved this thread to the Turkish forum.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Nicksdad

Postby Nicksdad » 2020-10-13, 16:04

Thanks for moving it for me, eskandar!

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2020-10-13, 18:06

Nicksdad wrote:Thank you so much!!

I truly appreciate your quick response and the effort you took!

May I impose on you to do the same for the other side of the document? I completely understand if you don't have the time, but even if you could write the main parts in modern turkish, it would help me get an idea of what it's about.

20160623_230709_1466738357237.jpg

Again, thank you very much for your generosity with your time!

Mike

His name appears to be "استليو" (İstelyo)
Province: Cezayir-i Bahr-i Sefid
For more information about the province: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vilayet_o ... rchipelago
District: Limni

اسم و شهرتي = İsim ve şöhreti (Adı/Name)
پدري اسميله محل اقامتي = Pederi ismiyle mahal-i ikameti (Baba adı ve oturduğu yer/Father's name and place of residence)
والده سي اسميله محل اقامتي = Validesi ismiyle mahal-i ikameti (Anne adı ve oturduğu yer/Mother's name and place of residence)
تاريخ و محل ولادتي = Tarih ve mahal-i veladeti (Doğum tarihi ve yeri/Date and place of birth)
ملتي = Milleti (Milliyeti/Nationality)

ولايتي = Vilayeti (İli/Province)
قضاسي = Kazası (İlçesi/District)
محله و قريه سي = Mahalle ve karyesi (Mahalle ve köyü/Neighbourhood and village)
نوع مسكن = Nevi mesken (Mesken türü/Type of residence)

Nicksdad

Postby Nicksdad » 2020-10-13, 19:49

Thank you so much! Do you get any sense of the purpose of this document? Citizenship papers? Property ownership? I do know his name was Stelios Haralambos Seremetis, so you definitely got that right. And he and his wife were from Limnos, so that makes perfect sense.

Multiturquoise
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Multiturquoise » 2020-10-13, 21:26

Nicksdad wrote:Thank you so much! Do you get any sense of the purpose of this document? Citizenship papers? Property ownership? I do know his name was Stelios Haralambos Seremetis, so you definitely got that right. And he and his wife were from Limnos, so that makes perfect sense.

The document served as an ID (Hüviyet/Kimlik) in the Ottoman era. Some old-generation people still use the word "hüviyet" instead of "kimlik".

Unlike modern IDs in Turkey, Ottoman IDs appear to include eye and face colour, and also the height of people.

بوي = Boy (Height)
كوز = Göz (Eye 'colour')
سيما = Sima (Yüz/Face 'colour')
علامت فارقه ثابته = Alamet-i farika-i sabite (Belirgin özellikler/Distinct features)

Nicksdad

Postby Nicksdad » 2020-10-13, 22:26

Again, thank you so much!!
This has been a mystery to my family for quite a few years! Stelios died long before i was born and my mother never had any interest in his background. I really appreciate the time you spent to do this for me!

Return to “Turkish (Türkçe)”