Translating a comic

Moderator:voron

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator
Translating a comic

Postby eskandar » 2017-04-29, 21:30

I'd like to understand this comic, but the idiomatic Turkish here is above my meager level of understanding. Below I've tried to translate it all to the best of my ability. Is the joke basically that some Turks have nothing but praise for Iran and others (like the guy on the right) are critical but are afraid to voice their criticisms? I'm not sure I get it...

Title: Praiseworthy creatures! :?:

-My son, don't underestimate Iran [is diyip a colloquial or regional form of deyip?], those lands have a very ancient history. Iranian literature is full of Omar Khayyam's incredible rubaiyyat :?: :?: Basically an ocean [of such literature]!

-There are really no words for Iranian cinema. It's a school in itself, I like the languages too :?: the language has a melody to it.

-Yes, Persian is a very poetic language!

-The girls are also very pretty!

(and with the guy on the right)

-Bro, we (with friends) are praising Iran... Go ahead, come, let's all praise it together!

-Thanks dear, don't stop :?: [yeni övdüm de geldim is one of those Turkish sentences where I understand each word but don't get the meaning... Does it mean "I just recently praised it"? As if he's being invited to eat and is declining by saying "oh, I just ate"?]

-Bro, please, don't offend me, come, let's praise it!

-Dear, I'm telling you I praised it. :?: Don't insist!
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Translating a comic

Postby voron » 2017-04-30, 18:10

eskandar wrote:Is the joke basically that some Turks have nothing but praise for Iran and others (like the guy on the right) are critical but are afraid to voice their criticisms?

I think you overestimate the deepness of the joke. It's about people who find no better hobby than choosing a subject and praising it all day long. A similar comic exists about praising black people:
http://www.altersozluk.com/zenci-ovmek.html/71633

Title: Praiseworthy creatures!

Those who live to praise.

diyip a colloquial or regional form of deyip?

"Deyip" is in fact pronounced "diyip", so it's the spelling that reflects the actual pronunciation (similar to how you would see "gidicem", "koyiim" instead of "gideceğim", "koyayım").

I like the languages too

I like their language.

yeni övdüm de geldim is one of those Turkish sentences where I understand each word but don't get the meaning... Does it mean "I just recently praised it"?

Yes, correct. "De" just connects two consecutive actions: I praised and came, I just praised before coming.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-04-30, 18:47

voron wrote:I think you overestimate the deepness of the joke. It's about people who find no better hobby than choosing a subject and praising it all day long. A similar comic exists about praising black people:

Do you think these two comics then express some kind of cynicism or resentment from the cartoonist about the subject of praise?

Thanks for the corrections!

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-04-30, 20:18

eskandar wrote:Do you think these two comics then express some kind of cynicism or resentment from the cartoonist about the subject of praise?

No, I don't think so at all; I think the subjects were randomly chosen, or perhaps there were some TV shows praising the subjects which caught on among people.

It is true that that there are certain negative opinions about Iran in the Turkish society, in particular about Iranians being Shia, but I don't think it has to do anything with this comic. As for black people, I witnessed Turks being tolerant and in general not subject to racism. For example, African football players are universally loved.

That's my impression; I hope we can get comments from Turks too.

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2017-06-16, 20:46

eskandar wrote:
voron wrote:I think you overestimate the deepness of the joke. It's about people who find no better hobby than choosing a subject and praising it all day long. A similar comic exists about praising black people:

Do you think these two comics then express some kind of cynicism or resentment from the cartoonist about the subject of praise?

Thanks for the corrections!

They reflect the common sentences Turks say when both subjects are brought up, specially university students. These are cliche sentences said mostly about topics you know nothing about with the aim of making others think you are "educated", "cultured", whatever. Umut Sarikaya is known for reflecting in his cartoons the average Turkish Joe, the kind of things they say or do, adding humor to it. This is call "tespit mizahi". You'll see he is commonly praised as "tespit adami" and particularly the details his caricatures have are very loved by his fans. His jokes are difficult to understand for people lacking a deep knowledge of the daily lives and shared experiences of the Turkish youth. Umut Sarikaya is a total legend and many lines of his cartoons have become commmonly known jokes such as his cartoon entitled "montla sıç" or his "mutsuzluk" series, among others. He also has three books compiling his short stories which are named "Benim de soyleyeceklerim var" (1, 2 and 3). Nowadays he publishes his own magazine which can be read online using an app available for both Android and iOS. it is called "Naber" (What's up).

I really like his cartoons and short stories. He has a genuine ability to observe society. But then again, to find them fun having lived in Turkey is almost a must. Other cartoonist such as Erdil Yasaroglu or Selcuk Erdem make less cultural cartoons which almost everybody can follow.
Not available

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2017-06-17, 0:19

eskandar wrote:Image

-My son (meaning here friend), don't underestimate Iran, those lands have a very ancient history. Iranian literature is full of "Omar Khayyams" and incredible rubaiyyat. It is certainly an ocean [meaning that it is vast]!

-There are really no words for Iranian cinema. It's a school in itself, I like their language too :?: the language has a melody to it.

-Yes, Persian is a very poetic language!

These are cliche sentences about Iran you can mostly hear when you hang out with leftist/intellectual students. It's kind of a pose. All of them like Iranian cinema even if they have just watched All about Elly and Simin and Nader: A Separation, and love Persian music, although they only know a few songs by Namjoo and Niyaz, and once attended a Farzin Farzad concert. But the praise is empty because they don't really know anything about Iran and are not really interested in learning more. Lately this kind of students have "discovered" Forug and new translations are being published and poems shared online.
Last edited by kalemiye on 2017-07-12, 9:17, edited 1 time in total.
Not available

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-06-18, 22:11

Welcome back, kalemiye! What's up? I almost didn't expect to see you back here.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2017-06-29, 6:33

Thanks for sharing that context!

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2017-07-12, 9:20

voron wrote:Welcome back, kalemiye! What's up? I almost didn't expect to see you back here.

Nothing much, just working. A few weeks ago another user sent me a pm and I remembered the forum. I will try to pop up every now and then :) . What about you? Still in Istanbul? :) I wish I was in Istanbul now rather than behind this desk.

"İstanbul'u sevmezse gönül aşkı ne anlar"
Not available

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2017-07-12, 11:35

kalemiye wrote:I will try to pop up every now and then :)

Sure, do come, it will be great to see your new posts here.

What about you? Still in Istanbul?

No, unfortunately, I couldn't extend my residence permit and I had to leave 1 year ago.

I wish I was in Istanbul now rather than behind this desk.

I am hating my desk profoundly too. One day we should meet up in Istanbul and then escape to some place in the East. :)

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2017-07-12, 21:38

Awww I am sorry to hear that. Hopefully in the future we will be back in Turkey <3
Not available

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-09-23, 16:32

Okay, I know I'm late saying this, but welcome back anyway, kalemiye! :D

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2017-11-22, 10:58

hoş bulduk! :)
Not available

Return to “Turkish (Türkçe)”