King-Size Translations

Moderator:voron

voron
Language Forum Moderator
Re: King-Size Translations

Postby voron » 2019-04-04, 20:13

vijayjohn wrote:Ev kadınlarıyla iş kadınlarını karşılaştıran, evin insanı yutma[s]ıyla ilgili yazım tahminimin üzerinde ilgi gördü.
Interest grew regarding my opinion piece about the house that faces housewives and working women alike swallowing them.

My article that compares housewives and working women, and about the house's swallowing a person, drew interest beyond my expectation.

Ben Ev Kadınlarını Koruma ve Güzelleştirme Derneği'nden (!) kınama beklerken, özellikle ev kadınları, e-mailler, hatta telefonlarla, yazıyı çok beğendiklerini, erteledikleri planlarını gerçekleştirmeye karar verdiklerini ilettiler.
While awaiting criticism of the Association for Protecting and Beautifying Housewives(!), housewives in particular sent e-mails, even by phone, whose plans we enjoyed writing a lot but procrastinated on yet decided to act on.

While awaiting criticism of the Association for Protecting and Beautifying Housewives(!), housewives, above all, reached out by email, or even by phone, to say that they liked the article a lot, and that they decided to fulfill their plans that they had been procrastinating on.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-04-09, 6:16

Çok teşekkür ederim! :)

Now I'll try the rest of that paragraph:

Umarım yazıdan, iş kadınlarının hayatının bir gül bahçesi olduğu sonucu çıkmamıştır.

Çünkü değil.

Geçen yazımdan sonra bedbaht olan ev kadınlarının yaşadıkları hayatın çok da fena olmadığını bilmeleri için yazılmıştır... Ve iş kadınları... Tatil yapamıyorsanız üzülmeyin. Koyun kapının önüne bir koltuk. Sabahtan akşama kadar çay içip etrafı seyredin! Çok iyi gelecek.

Vakit olsa dükkân sizin!

I hope it doesn't follow from my article that the life of a working woman is a bed of roses.

Because it isn't.

It was written to acknowledge that the lives of the women who were unhappy after my last article were also very bad... :?: And housewives...Don't apologize if you can't take a vacation. There's a chair in front of the door to the bay. :?: Have tea and look around you from morning till evening! It'll be very good for you.

The shop is yours whenever you're ready! :?:

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-04-21, 21:58

vijayjohn wrote:Geçen yazımdan sonra bedbaht olan ev kadınlarının yaşadıkları hayatın çok da fena olmadığını bilmeleri için yazılmıştır... Ve iş kadınları... Tatil yapamıyorsanız üzülmeyin. Koyun kapının önüne bir koltuk. Sabahtan akşama kadar çay içip etrafı seyredin! Çok iyi gelecek.

Vakit olsa dükkân sizin!

My last article, after which housewives became unhappy, was in fact written to let them know that the life that they live is not so bad... And working women... If you can't take a vacation don't be sad. Put a chair in front of your door. Have tea and look around you from morning till evening! It'll be very good for you.

If only you had time! (you'd be masters of the world!)

... olsa dükkan sizin is a set expression:
https://tureng.com/tr/turkce-ingilizce/ ... an%20senin

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-04-22, 5:50

Oturdum, üşenmeden hesapladım. Kitap okumak, sinemaya gitmek, arkadaşlarla görüşmek, kocamla ilgilenmek, gezip tozmak, sağlık kontrollerimi yaptırmak, dergi okumak, televizyona bakmak veya öylece boşluğa bakmak için günde sadece bir buçuk saatim var! E-mail'lere niye cevap yazamadığımı matematiksel olarak kanıtlamış bulunuyorum.

Okuyucular ve g.a.g. seyircileri bozuk atıp duruyor:

"Size üç kere e-mail çektim, hâlâ lütfedip bir cevap yazmadınız. Teessüf ederim, insan ünlü olunca böyle oluyor demek ki!" rastladığım en yaygın sinirlenme kalıbı.

Özellikle "ünlü olma" bölümündeki hayal gücüne hayranım.

I sat down and counted idly. :?: To read a book, go to the movies, meet up with friends, take care of my husband, go for a walk, get my health checks done, read a magazine, and watch TV or just stare out into space, I only have half an hour a day! I'm proving mathematically why I didn't reply to e-mails.

Readers and G.A.G. viewers keep complaining: :?:

The type of complaint I run into the most often is "I sent you an e-mail three times, and you didn't even do me the favor of writing a reply. I'm sorry people are like this when they're famous!"

I especially like imagining the part about "being famous." :?:

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-04-28, 13:44

vijayjohn wrote:Oturdum, üşenmeden hesapladım.
I sat down and counted idly.

"Üşenmek" is "to be lazy", üşenmeden "without being lazy", so the whole sentence is something like:
I sat down and counted diligently.

günde sadece bir buçuk saatim var
I only have half an hour a day

An hour and a half (half an hour is 'yarım saat')

Özellikle "ünlü olma" bölümündeki hayal gücüne hayranım.
I especially like imagining the part about "being famous."

I especially admire their imagination in the "being famous" part.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-04-28, 18:34

Thanks!

Next part (of course, I've translated some of this pretty freely, especially the part about the U in lütfen or whatever):

Gözümün önüne geliyor: Altın rengi, saten bir tuvalet giymişim. Aynı renklerdeki kocaman salonumda kırmızı kadife bir Josephine koltuğa uzanmışım.

Caz çalıyor. Önümdeki pufun üzerinde de havyarlı kanepeler var.

Elimde bir bardak şampanyayla menajerime (o kimse) çemki[r]iyorum!

"Gülse Hanı[m] lütfen (ü değil, dikkat edeniz, şapkalı u). Hayranlarınız cevap bekliyor günlerdir."

"Offf. Çok sıkıldım şekerim. Okuyucu parçaları, seyirci parçaları! Beklesinler ayol! Onlarla mı
uğraşıciim. Ayrıca bu şampanya da ısındı. Nöbetçiler!"

I can just picture it: I'm wearing a shiny golden dinner dress. In my huge living room of the same color, I'm lying back in a Josephine chair made of red velvet.

Jazz is playing. There are even caviar canapés on the sofa in front of me.

I'm replying to my manager (whoever he is) with a glass of champagne in my hand!

"Excuse me, Mrs. Birsel (with a capital E, mind you), your fans have been waiting for a reply for days."

"Ughh, I'm so tired of them, honey. Texts to readers and texts to viewers! :?: Can't they just wait?! Are those who I have to work wiiith?! Also, this champagne's gotten warm. Guards!"
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2019-07-05, 5:56, edited 1 time in total.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-05-08, 14:46

Nice translation!

vijayjohn wrote:Okuyucu parçaları, seyirci parçaları!

Texts to readers and texts to viewers!

It's literally:
Reader parts, viewer parts,

and I guess the meaning is, there are many parts of her daily routine as an imaginary famous person, and one of them is answering to readers and viewers.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-05-09, 3:41

Sağol!

Umberto Eco (ki kendisinin romanlarını, özellikle [Foucault]-'nun Sarkacı['nı] fenalık geçirerek bitiremeyen ben, makale ve denemelerinin hastasıyımdır) bir yazısında, bir yılını dakika dakika nasıl geçirdiğini hesaplamıştır.

Sonuç olarak bu büyük yazar, akademisyen ve düşünüre, kendisi için, günde sadece 1 saat 40 dakika kalmıştır.

Eh fena da değil.

It was allegedly calculated how Umberto Eco (whose novels, essays, and studies especially I, who cannot finish Foucault's Pendulum when sick, am a fan of :?:) spent time minute by minute on an article.

Ultimately, this great writer, academic, and thinker was left with only 1 hour and 40 minutes for himself a day.

Huh, that's not so bad.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-05-10, 13:36

vijayjohn wrote:(ki kendisinin romanlarını, özellikle [Foucault]-'nun Sarkacı['nı] fenalık geçirerek bitiremeyen ben, makale ve denemelerinin hastasıyımdır)
(whose novels, essays, and studies especially I, who cannot finish Foucault's Pendulum when sick, am a fan of :?:)

Whose novels I couldn't finish, especially Foucault's Pendulum which made me puke (literally faint), but whose essays and studies I'm a big fan of.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-05-15, 0:43

At the end of this post, I've included a bit of the original text that doesn't make any sense to me (and comes after this part). Can you help me make sense of that text? But first, here's the next part:

E-mail'lere neden cevap veremediğimi burada, aynı yöntemi kullanarak yanıtlayacağım. "Çalışan, çağdaş, bakımlı ve evli bir kadın" olmanın tüm gereklerini de yerine getirmeye çalışarak.

Dersimiz: aritmetik

Siz de bu gruptansanız, gelin birlikte toplayalım:

Bir yıl 365 gün, yani 8760 saat.

Günde sekiz saat uyku, 2920 saat.

Kahvaltı yirmi dakika, öğle yemeği bir saat, akşam yemeği 1 saat 20 dakika diyelim. Yılda aşağı yukarı 970 saat eder.

Duş, saç kurutma, tuvalet, diş fırçalama vesaire, günde yarım saatten, 182,[5] saat[.]

Sabah giyinmek, akşam soyunmak, sabahları ne giyeceğine karar vermek, günde 40 dakikadan, 243 saat.

Günde yedi saat çalışma, yani full time bir iş, hafta sonunu saymayalım, haydi bayram, yılbaşı, yıllık iz[in], 220 gün çalıştık diyelim, 1540 saat eder.

I can explain in the same way here why I can't reply to e-mails while also trying to carry out everything it takes to be a "modern, working, well-groomed, and married woman."

Our subject: Arithmetic.

If you're in this group, too, come on, let's add together:

A year is 365 days, which is 8760 hours.

Eight hours of sleep a day is 2920 hours.

Let's say breakfast is twenty minutes, lunch is an hour, and dinner is 1 hour and 20 minutes. They take up 970 hours a year, more or less.

From half an hour a day of showering, hair-drying, going to the bathroom, brushing teeth, etc., (we get) 182.5 hours.

From 40 minutes a day getting dressed in the morning, getting undressed in the evening, and deciding what to wear in the mornings, (we get) 243 hours.

Seven hours of work a day, i.e. a full-time job, let's not count weekends or maybe holidays, New Year's, and annual leave, let's say we worked 220 days, that takes up 1540 hours.
Şimdi kadın olmanın farkını yaşayalım, bir sürü angaryay-
Çağdaş kadın spor yapar, kuaföre gider, makyaj yapar.

This is the next part of the novel. I'm having trouble making sense of it.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2019-06-10, 22:54

Your translation looks good!

Şimdi kadın olmanın farkını yaşayalım, bir sürü angaryay-
Çağdaş kadın spor yapar, kuaföre gider, makyaj yapar.

There is definitely a typo there. Perhaps we can fix it like this:
...bir sürü angarya. Çağdaş kadın...

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-07-05, 5:17

Thanks! :)

Next part:

Şimdi kadın olmanın farkını yaşayalım, bir sürü angarya[.] Çağdaş kadın spor yapar, kuaföre gider, makyaj yapar.

Spor: Haftada üç gün bir saatten, 156 saat.

Kuaför: Sadece kesimden kesime, boyadan boyaya uğradığınızı varsayarsak, manikür, pedikür ve diğer mecburi ve can sıkıcı bakımlarla, iki ayda bir dört saatten, yılda 24 saat.

Makyaj, bakım: Nemlendirici, makyaj, günde yarım saat, akşam silmesi ve gece bakımı, on beş dakika. Yılda toplam 274 saat!

Alışveriş: Zevk için yapılanı değil, mecburiyi hesaplayalım. Erzak alışverişi ve hediyeler de dahil, haftada üçten, 156 saat.

Ev sorumluluklarına gelelim. Evli bir kadın ya bu.

Temizlik, yemek yapma, derleme toplama: En iyi ihtimali, bir yardımcı olduğunu düşünelim. Yine de ufak tefek işler, sofra kurma kaldırma, şudur budur, günde bir buçuk saatten 547,5 saat.

Trafik: İşe gidiş geliş, en şanslımız için bile, günde bir saatten, yılda 220 saat.

Gazete okumak: Haber alma özgürlüğü. Günde yarım saatten, 182,5 saat.

Yani, evli, çocuksuz, üstelik de yardımcısı olan, herhangi bir çalışan kadının, sadece gerekli işleri yaptığında, yılda harcadığı zaman 7415,5 saat!

Kendi istediği şeylere ayırmak için, iyimser tahminlerle, yılda 1344,5, günde ise ortalama 3,6 saat kalıyor.

Benim de işim zor kardiş!

Now let's experience the difference in being a woman; it's too many chores. A modern woman plays sports, goes to the hairdresser's, puts on makeup.

Sports: From one hour (each) three days a week, (we get) 156 hours.

The hairdresser's: Assuming that you only stop by from one haircut to another, from one hair coloring to another, :?: for manicures, pedicures, and other necessary but tiresome (acts of) maintenance, from about four hours every two months, (we get) 24 hours a year.

Makeup, maintenance: Half an hour a day (for) moisturizer and makeup, evenings canceled, and fifteen minutes (for) nighttime maintenance. My calculation is 274 hours a year!

Shopping: Let's count the necessary kind, not the kind that's done for fun. Including grocery shopping and gifts, out of three [hours] a week, 156 hours.

Let's come to household responsibilities. This is a married woman (we're talking about), after all.

Cleaning, cooking, collecting: :?: Let's imagine the best-case scenario, where we have someone to help. Even then, (we get) 547.5 hours from one and a half hours a day of chores, setting and emptying the table, this and that.

Traffic: From one hour a day going to work and coming back, even for the luckiest of us, (we get) 220 hours a year.

Reading a newspaper: Freedom of information. From half an hour a day, 182.5 hours.

So the time that any married working woman without children, even with household help, spends in a year, just doing obligatory chores, is 7,415.5 hours!

That leaves, at an optimistic estimate, 1,344.5 hours a year, or an average of 3.6 hours a day, for me to do what I want.

My job's hard, too, sister!

Return to “Turkish (Türkçe)”