King-Size Translations

Moderator:voron

Ektoras
Re: King-Size Translations

Postby Ektoras » 2013-04-12, 10:10

modus.irrealis wrote:Thanks. It was the -i ending that confused me most, but I guess that makes sense.

After looking over my translation, I realize I misunderstood how "anlaşılan" works. Dictionaries called it an adverb and I assumed it modified what comes after it, but it really still functions as a verb, right? I should have realized this from the form "olduğu" in any case. So it should really be "and a fat but active woman who was apparently his wife", which makes a lot more sense.

Actually, grammatically it's called a sıfat-fiil or ortaç (participle). So it's an adjective.

Hangi kadın?
………… anlaşılan kadın.

I don't know why dictionaries list it as an adverb, though. Weird.

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2013-04-12, 12:26

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I misunderstood the dictionaries I looked at, and it was only the English equivalent that was classified as an adverb.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2013-04-16, 4:39

Özür dilerim, şimdi Amerika'da olduğum için tercüme yapamam (Zamanım var ama niyetim yok. Her taraftan İngilizce duyduğum için Türkçe hiç aklıma gelmiyor :P) 10 gün sonra dönüp yapacağım.

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2013-04-16, 15:28

İyi eğlenceler!

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2013-04-20, 16:08

I am sorry I haven't logged it for about a month, but I am really busy with my thesis and some small translation jobs here and there and I barely find any free time lately, even if I stay home :( .
Last edited by kalemiye on 2013-04-26, 7:43, edited 1 time in total.
Not available

Ektoras

Postby Ektoras » 2013-04-21, 7:25

just out of curiosity, kalemiye, where are you from? :-)

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2013-05-06, 21:12

After a long long break... here goes my translation. And there is only one more piece left, go for it modus.irrealis and we'll be done!
--------------------------

Sokaklarda kar yüzünden mi kimse yoktu, yoksa bu donmuş kaldırımlarda zaten hiçbir zaman mı kimse olmazdı? Duvarlardaki seçim afişlerini, dersane ve lokanta ilanlarını ve valiliğin yeni astığı, üzerinde "insan Allah'ın Bir Şaheseridir ve intihar Bir Küfürdür" yazan intihar karşıtı posterleri dikkatle okudu. Pencereleri buz tutmuş yarı dolu bir çayhanede televizyon seyreden erkekler kalabalığını gördü Ka. Hafızasında Kars'ı özel bir yer yapan Rus yapısı eski taş binaları görmek biraz olsun içini rahatlattı.

Karpalas Oteli Baltık mimarisiyle yapılmış zarif Rus yapılarından biriydi, iki katlı, ince, uzun yüksek pencereli binaya bir avluya açılan bir kemerin altından geçilerek giriliyordu. Yüz on yıl önce at arabaları rahatça geçsin diye yüksek yapılan bu kemerin altından geçerken Ka belli belirsiz bir heyecan duydu, ama o kadar yorgundu ki üzerinde durmadı bunun.

Gene de bu heyecanın Ka'nın Kars'a geliş nedenlerinden biriyle ilgili olduğunu söyleyeyim: Üç gün önce Ka İstanbul'da Cumhuriyet gazetesini ziyarete gittiğinde gençlik arkadaşı Taner'i görmüş, o da Ka'ya, Kars'ta belediye seçimleri yapılacağını, ayrıca tıpkı Batman'da olduğu gibi Kars'ta da genç kızların tuhaf bir intihar hastalığına yakalandıklarını anlatmış, bu konularda yazmak ve on iki yıldan sonra gerçek Türkiye'yi görüp tanımak istiyorsa Kars'a gitmesini, başka kimsenin hevesli olmadığı bu iş için ona geçici bir basın kartı verilmesini önermiş ve ayrıca üniversite arkadaşları güzel İpek'in de Kars'ta olduğunu eklemişti.

Was it because of the snow that there was noone in the streets, or because noone ever appeared on these frozen pavements anymore? He carefully read the election posters on the walls, the advertisements for schools and cafes, and the new posters opposing the suicides hung by the governorate which said “A human is God’s masterpiece, and suicide is a blasphemy”. Through the frozen windows of a half-full tea house, Ka saw a crowd of guys watching TV. It comforted him even if just a little to see the old stone Russian buildings, which made Kars such a special place in his memory.

The Snow Palace Hotel was one of those elegant constructions made in Baltic architecture; the two-storied, lean building with tall long windows was entered by passing under an arch which lead into the yard. As Ka passed under this arch, which was built high 110 years before to let horse-drawn carriages pass through easily, he felt a slight excitement, but he was too tired to dwell on this.

At that, let’s say that this excitement had something to do with one of the reasons of Ka’s coming to Kars. Three days earlier, when Ka was paying a visit to the Republic newspaper in Istanbul, he saw his friend of youth Taner, who told Ka about the upcoming municipal elections in Kars, and besides, how young girls in Kars had caught this strange suicide disease just like it had been in Batman. He suggested that if Ka wanted to write about this subject and after 12 years see the real Turkey, he should go to Kars, and as there was noone else available to do this job, he would give Ka a temporary press card. Besides that, he added that their beautiful university classmate Ipek was also in Kars.

Hypocrisy

Postby Hypocrisy » 2013-05-06, 21:41

Wow, good job translating the last passage into English, voron. It seemed quite convoluted with all those prolonged descriptions.

Ektoras

Postby Ektoras » 2013-05-06, 21:48

Yep, I second Hypocrisy. Way to go buddy! :-]

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2013-05-07, 20:22

I had a bit of time today, so here's my attempt at the last part of the chapter:

--------------------------------------

Muhtar'dan ayrılmış olmasına rağmen İpek orada Karpalas Oteli'nde babası ve kızkardeşiyle yaşıyordu. Cumhuriyette politik yorumlar yapan Taner'in sözlerini dinlerken Ka İpek'in güzelliğini hatırladı.

Otelin yüksek tavanlı lobisindeki televizyona bakan katip Cavit’in anahtarını verdiği ikinci kattaki 203 numaralı odaya çıkıp kapıyı kapattıktan sonra Ka rahatladı.

Kendini dikkatle dinlemişti yol boyunca korktuğunun aksine ne aklı ne de yüreği İpek'in otelde olup olmamasıyla ilgiliydi. Aşık olmaktan, sınırlı aşk hayatlarını yalnızca bir dizi acı ve utanç olarak hatırlayanların kuvvetli içgüdüsüyle ölesiye korkardı Ka.

Gece yarısı, üzerinde pijamaları, karanlık odasında yatağına girmeden önce, perdeyi hafifçe araladı. Karın kocaman tanelerle durmadan yağışını seyretti.

Although that she was separated from Muhtar, Ipek lived there in the Snow Palace Hotel with her father and sister. While listening to the words of Taner, who did political commentary in the Republic, Ka recalled Ipek's beauty.

Ka went up to his room, number 203, on the second floor, whose key was given by the clerk Cavit, who was watching the television in the hotel's high-ceilinged lobby, and after shutting the door, Ka relaxed.

He had listestend carefully to himself, contrary to what he feared along the way, neither his mind nor his heart was interested in whether Ipek was in the hotel or not. With the powerful instinct of those who remember their limited love life as nothing but a series of pain and shame, Ka was deadly afraid of falling in love.

In the middle of the night, wearing his pyjamas, before he got into his bed in his dark room, he slightly opened the curtains. He watched the continuous fall of the snow in large flakes.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2013-05-08, 20:47

Well done modus! and it means that we're done with Pamuk. How did you guys like it?

The plot is intriguing and I liked his detailed descriptions (of snow, his fellow travellers, deserted streets etc) but oh my, his paragraph-long sentences can be parsed only in a state of meditation. :roll:

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2013-05-09, 4:47

you could try translating Yaprak Dökümü by Reşat Nuri Güntekin :)
Not available

Ektoras

Postby Ektoras » 2013-05-09, 10:27

Or you can choose one of the books of Ahmet Ümit. He's got nice detective novels.

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2013-05-10, 13:12

Ektoras wrote:Or you can choose one of the books of Ahmet Ümit. He's got nice detective novels.

We translated a short story by Ahmet Ümit, but Voron and Modus.Irrealis didn't like his style :)
Not available

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2013-05-11, 7:51

voron wrote:Well done modus! and it means that we're done with Pamuk. How did you guys like it?

The plot is intriguing and I liked his detailed descriptions (of snow, his fellow travellers, deserted streets etc) but oh my, his paragraph-long sentences can be parsed only in a state of meditation. :roll:

I don't know. The way it's written is different from what I'm used to for a novel, but I'm not sure if that's good or bad yet. Although, this first chapter didn't really grab me in any way, and I'm not super curious about what happens next.

About what's next, I'm up for anything, but I'd prefer something short, that we could read from start to finish. Another possibility might be to read through the text of a play, going back to the script idea voron had before.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2013-05-18, 14:54

We could read something from Güntekin (kalemiye, why did you choose Yaprak Dökümü? his most famous novel is Çalıkuşu, is it?), or we could read something shorter from start to end which I would also prefer. I feel very lazy these days as the heat has finally overcome the city, so let's put it on pause and meanwhile I'll be accepting suggestions. :)

kalemiye

Postby kalemiye » 2013-05-19, 5:19

voron wrote:We could read something from Güntekin (kalemiye, why did you choose Yaprak Dökümü? his most famous novel is Çalıkuşu, is it?), or we could read something shorter from start to end which I would also prefer. I feel very lazy these days as the heat has finally overcome the city, so let's put it on pause and meanwhile I'll be accepting suggestions. :)

Yaprak dökümü is very famous as well, plus is way (way!) shorter than Çalıkuşu :lol:
Not available

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2014-03-06, 10:20

Any interest in reviving this thread?

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-03-06, 15:54

Sure! I started reading Çalıkuşu recently by Reşat Nuri Güntekin and I really like his style. The English translation can definitely be found on the net though, so ... how useful is it when we can verify our guesses against the translation without the community's help?

On another note, when we were translating Kar by Orhan Pamuk, I peered into the English translation once a while (I swear I wasn't cheating too much, only after I came up with my own version!), and it diverged from the original Turkish meaning far too often.

UPD: And I looked a few posts up and noticed I was suggesting Çalıkuşu about a year ago :) Kalemiye's suggestion "Yaprak dökümü" seems to be a very good option. Who would play? Modus, myself... kalemiye, have you forsaken us? :( Anyone else? Vijay, Max, meidei, would you guys play? You can read about the set up in the first post of this topic.

modus.irrealis

Postby modus.irrealis » 2014-03-07, 10:54

That's not cheating :wink:
I mean, I compared my translation to what I could find on google books, and I felt the same way. The translation could be really loose sometimes.

"Yaprak dökümü" seems worth a shot at least. Is the text available online though? It's hard to search for because of the tv show...

Is there any way to get kalemiye's attention? I'll leave her a scrap on her profile page, but otherwise?

Return to “Turkish (Türkçe)”