Inspiration for Turkish

Moderator:voron

BuckeyeIntl
Inspiration for Turkish

Postby BuckeyeIntl » 2010-05-25, 1:36

Hello, everyone! I have just decided to take a Turkish course at university next autumn. I spent a week in Istanbul last year and I loved my experience there, so I thought that I would learn the language. I also find Turkey an extremely interesting country and an important player on the world stage.

I was just wondering, however, if any of you could relay to me anything that could get me in the "Turkish mood." Perhaps the names of some good Turkish authors, bands, musicians, movies? Thank you!

kalemiye

Re: Inspiration for Turkish

Postby kalemiye » 2010-05-25, 18:04

Merhaba! Forumuza hoş geldiniz!

I am glad to have a fellow student here. I hope you enjoy your course of Turkish and that you end up loving it as much as we do here.

I am not very well acquainted with Turkish cinema, so I will leave that section for other users to answer.

I recommend you the poems of Yunus Emre, he is a very well-known Turkish mystic poet of the 13th century. You can read here a short biography and some of his poems translated into English: http://www.poetry-chaikhana.com/E/EmreYunus/.

As for music, it depends on the kind of music you like. If you like pop, the most well-known singers are: Tarkan (obviously), Serdar Ortaç, Sibel Can, Sertab Erener... There are some rock bands as well like Manga (the Turkish linkin' park), Seksendört, etc. For Bob Dylan-like authors try Ahmet Aslan or Ahmet Kaya.

I think the most famous authors overseas are Elif Şafak and Orhan Pamuk. I like Pamuk's book 'Snow', a good recommendation from our dear Mert, and I recommend it to you as well.

If you need any further information or help, let us know! :)
Not available

Return to “Turkish (Türkçe)”