Latin translation (piece of history inside)

lojo
Country:CHSwitzerland (Schweiz / Suisse / Svizzera / Svizra)
Latin translation (piece of history inside)

Postby lojo » 2005-08-19, 7:10

Hi everybody,

may be some of you have heard the sentence:

Rome does not pay traitors

This sentence has some history behind that you can read at Viriathus (Wikipedia)

I was wondering, if anyone could make a translation to Latin of that sentence. Someone somewhere else has aked about it, and it seems there is almost no place in internet where a translation is offered. Perhaps this sentence is not of any interest outside Portugal or Spain :?

Any help will be appreciated, thank you.

Have a nice day.

PD: there is also people interested in knowing a translation for strength and honor and glory and honor.

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2005-08-19, 9:31

Since "Rome does not pay traitors" has a history behind it, it is probably one of those famous quotes like "I came, I saw, I conquered" - "veni, vidi, vici". So I think there would be only one "official" way to say it in Latin, although it could be translated in more than one way. You might want to check an original Latin text which describes this history.

I don't know about the other two sentences, they could be translated as "vires et honor" and "gloria et honor" respectively (English having borrowed about 2/3 of its vocabulary from Latin has an advantage :wink: ). Are those slogans like "Lux et Veritas" (light and truth, the slogan of Yale if I'm not mistaken)?

lojo

Postby lojo » 2005-08-22, 7:01

Thank you.

I haven not been able to find any reference to that historical moment in latin (at least in the internet).

May be a rush translation in latin of the sentence could give any clues to simplify the search.

Could you try it? :wink:

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2005-08-22, 8:09

Well, it might be something like "Roma traditoribus non adnumerat". I looked up everything in a dictionary linked from here... maybe I should review the Latin lessons :roll: might find the 'correct' words (the most common ones)

lojo

Postby lojo » 2005-08-22, 12:04

This dictionary http://www.freedict.com/onldict/onldict.php says Proditor is the right word for Traitor.

Could it be...

Roma proditoribus non adnumerat

?

The person who asked about found this (thanks to your help):

Roma, traditoribus non praemia.

He just does not quite understand, the use of the comma there. Does any grammar rule explain that or it is only to give some "style"?
Last edited by lojo on 2005-08-22, 13:00, edited 1 time in total.

mind

Postby mind » 2005-08-22, 12:59

It is usually believed that these words were said by Servilius Caepio to the traitors, who killed Viriathus. I couldn't find the original quotation, but this story is mentioned in the T.Livy's Periochae ex libro LIV: "Viriathus a proditoribus, consilio Servili Caepionis, interfectus est et ab exercitu suo multum comploratus ac nobiliter sepultus, vir duxque magnus et per XIIII annos quibus cum Romanis bellum gessit, frequentius superior" ("Viriathus was killed by traitors, instigated by Servilius Caepio, and he was deeply mourned by his soldiers, who gave him a splendid funeral. For fourteen years, this great man and commander had waged war against the Romans, often successfully", as translated here, but Livy doesn't give Caepio's words literally.

The only "ready-made" translation I could find online is "Roma, traditoribus non praemia" (here). Not a reliable source, you know...
Russian history blog:
http://minaev.blogspot.com

History forum #1:
http://www.simaqianstudio.com

RFC:American English,Latin,Greek

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2005-08-24, 16:46

I took the word "traditor" from another dictionary listed in the External Links, which gave me several options (including "proditor"). I just chose the one which sounded quite close to "traitor"... :roll:

desper

Postby desper » 2005-08-31, 10:52

Hello. Not worth creating a new topic, so:

Magna vivimus et stultum est tempore in omni, dum computatrum metuas, amittere gaudia vitae.

Thanks in advance (or how does one say in latin...).

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2005-09-01, 19:19

Seems like something about computers :shock: I'm afraid my skill in actually deciphering Latin senetences isn't great... If I get the idea correctly, it's something like "we live long and it is stupid during all that time, while you're afraid of the computer, to let go of the pleasures of life".
I wonder where this sentence is from, it's style seems strange to me...

desper

Postby desper » 2005-09-01, 20:44

Well, one man said in his blog that his grandma used to say that. :)

Return to “Latin (Latina)”