A translation from Portuguese or from English into Latin

Lambion
A translation from Portuguese or from English into Latin

Postby Lambion » 2005-07-06, 14:52

Hi, can anyone translate me a sentence from English to Latin, the phrase is: To you we serve, our beloved school.

Olá, alguém me pode traduzir uma frase de português para latim, a frase é: A ti te servimos nosso amado colégio.

nickybol

Re: A translation from Portuguese or from English into Latin

Postby nickybol » 2005-07-06, 21:54

Lambion wrote:Hi, can anyone translate me a sentence from English to Latin, the phrase is: To you we serve, our beloved school.

Olá, alguém me pode traduzir uma frase de português para latim, a frase é: A ti te servimos nosso amado colégio.

Ad te servimus, nostra amata schola.

I think it`s something like that.

Lambion

Postby Lambion » 2005-07-07, 23:22

Thanks, and if someone can give other translation, please send it, oh, and can you give me the translation chaging 'schola' to 'Colégio', I mean, if the word 'Colégio' changes because of the case or something.

Ioannes

Postby Ioannes » 2005-07-08, 0:58

The verb "servire" is used for other purposes, such as "be a slave to", you should use "adiuvare" or "subvenire". But here we could use "dare", simply meaning "to give"

Thus "To you (sg.) we serve, our beloved school" would be: "scholam amantem nostram tibi damus"

or if "you" is 2nd person pl. :
"scholam amantem nostram vobis damus"

I don't know Portuguese, so I can't do a translation from Portuguese to latin for you.

nickybol

Postby nickybol » 2005-07-11, 22:00

Ioannes2 wrote:The verb "servire" is used for other purposes, such as "be a slave to", you should use "adiuvare" or "subvenire". But here we could use "dare", simply meaning "to give"

Thus "To you (sg.) we serve, our beloved school" would be: "scholam amantem nostram tibi damus"

or if "you" is 2nd person pl. :
"scholam amantem nostram vobis damus"

I don't know Portuguese, so I can't do a translation from Portuguese to latin for you.

Isn`t it better to keep the original construction and put schola amanta apart, so it becomes a vocative?

ego

Postby ego » 2005-07-17, 19:37

Ioannes here ....

oh, i thought our beloved school was infact what they gave, but now i realize it is just whom you want to address.

thus it should be

tibi (vobis for pl.) servimus, schola amans nostra.
[/i]

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2005-07-17, 19:44

ego wrote:oh, i thought our beloved school was infact what they gave, but now i realize it is just whom you want to address.

See? A comma can make quite a difference! :D That's why I got so used to using one before the Greek vocative, until you told me it was outdated to. :(
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

Lambion

Postby Lambion » 2005-08-06, 19:25

So, can anyone put the Portuguese word Colégio in the place of 'schola'? It is a noun, a proper noun, and it can't have translation, if anyone can... please.

Orion

Postby Orion » 2005-08-26, 13:05

Viva Lambion,

Encontrei Colegium em Latim no dicionárion online “words” com o significado de confederação (Professional), irmandade, guilda. Penso que podes usar essa palavra mas pelo que encontrei não está directamente ligada à noção de ensino.

Se assim o quiseres podes substituir Schola ou Scholam por Colegium, a vantagem das palavras neutras é que o Nominativo e o Acusativo têm a mesma forma.

Quanto ao resto o meu Latim não chega para te dizer qual das frases propostas é melhor ou muito menos para sugerir outra coisa qualquer.

Espero que isto ajude.

Orion

Lambion

Postby Lambion » 2005-09-24, 11:06

Thanks

Obrigado

Return to “Latin (Latina)”