Hello!

Mats Norberg
Hello!

Postby Mats Norberg » 2020-05-01, 20:22

Hello! My name is Mats and I'm from Sweden.
This is the first time I post on Unilang/latin. I used to dwell on the finnish forum here at Unilang but that forum is almost empty, almost none posts there. I home the latin forum is a little more lively. I study finnish and latin. I'm quite a newbe in latin, which I started on last spring. I'm slightly more advanced in finnish, which I have studied in 3 years. My native language is Swedish and English is my second language which I stared to learn in school long, long ago.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Re: Hello!

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2020-05-20, 19:10

Hey Mats, I just started Latin too :) How do you learn it?
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

AlxAlk

Postby AlxAlk » 2020-09-04, 17:01

Hello!

I'm just a newbie in Latin too. Started last weeks.
I'm so confused with declinations, every phrase seems to be hard to set.

Oh, and I'm brazillian, Portuguese native. I like English, French and Hindi as well.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk wrote:How do you learn it?

I'm using Scriba app to study grammar. Well organized, but not enough for me to get the conjugations.

I hope there are more people interested in Latin. Or it will be so empty here...

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-09-04, 21:38

AlxAlk wrote:I'm just a newbie in Latin too. Started last weeks.
I'm so confused with declinations, every phrase seems to be hard to set.

Oh, and I'm brazillian, Portuguese native.

If your native language is Portuguese, one thing that may help (especially with the more irregular declensions) is realising that, with few exceptions, inherited words are based on the accusative form of nouns and adjectives, not the nominative forms used as dictionary entries.

So, for instance, homem comes from hominem, not directly from homo. (You can see the different in French, where hominem yields homme "man", but homo gives on "one; we".) Amigos is from amicos (the accusative plural), not from amici (the nominative plural).

Where there are irregularities, they're generally in the nominative. So, for instance, the word for "king" has a g in all of its forms (genitive rēgis, dative rēgī, accusative rēgem, ablative rēge) except the nominative (and vocative) singular rēx. It may seem odd to treat the most exceptional form of the word as the most important form of it, but that's the tradition.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “Latin (Latina)”