How to learn

Moderator: Ser

gyrus

How to learn

Postby gyrus » 2009-06-14, 14:09

OK, next term my friend and I are planning on learning Latin together. She's not hugely confident with languages and wants me to get ahead of her so I can help her. I was thinking of doing a self teach course then having weekly sessions teaching it to her but that might not be the most effective method.

What's the best method and course for this situation?
[flag]en[/flag][flag]fr[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]ja[/flag][flag]eo[/flag][flag]zh[/flag]
Twitter
YouTube

KingHarvest

Re: How to learn

Postby KingHarvest » 2009-06-14, 18:10

Buy Wheelock's and work through the exercises.
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

gyrus

Postby gyrus » 2009-06-14, 18:35

KingHarvest wrote:Buy Wheelock's and work through the exercises.

Is it worth getting the comprehensive guide to/latin reader/workbook/grammar flashcards?
[flag]en[/flag][flag]fr[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]ja[/flag][flag]eo[/flag][flag]zh[/flag]
Twitter
YouTube

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2009-06-14, 18:49

Do you normally find flashcards useful for helping to learn a new language? If yes, then get them. If no, then don't.
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

nickshanks

Postby nickshanks » 2009-10-07, 22:25

KingHarvest wrote:Buy Wheelock's and work through the exercises.

I would advise against Wheelocks, the content in it is aimed at learning to read Latin prose and verse. I much preferred the Cambridge Latin Course. This is designed to teach Latin more as a language you can use yourself, in everyday situations.

csjc

Postby csjc » 2009-10-07, 23:38

I have not yet attempted to learn Latin myself but I've spent a fair bit of time looking through the courses that are out there. The course you choose really depends on what you want to accomplish with the language. Would you want to communicate with your friend in it, and/or write anything in it? Then the Camridge Latin course seems most suitable. If you're more interested in tackling prose, then go with Wheelocks. I'm a fan of the Lingua Latina method but I don't know your learning style. I also own a 60's copy of Teach Yourself Latin which looks quite good.
[flag]en-ca[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]is[/flag]
[flag]nl[/flag] [flag]fi[/flag] [flag]sv[/flag] [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]la[/flag]

Nukalurk

Postby Nukalurk » 2009-10-08, 1:03

The Cambridge course doesn't put "to be" at the end of sentences but in between. The other verbs seem to be placed correctly. The course itself seems good, besides that mistake.

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2009-10-08, 3:54

The Cambridge Latin Course is obviously not doing it's job correctly if you think it's that important where the verb falls.

Stick to Wheelocks.
-A.E. Housman

Nukalurk

Postby Nukalurk » 2009-10-08, 13:01

I thought SOV is usually the standard syntactical structure for unstressed phrases. I hope you get what I mean.

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2009-10-09, 6:17

That's a myth. Of course, you're never going to learn this if you don't think you need to read Latin texts. Father Reginald Foster teaches the only respectable conversation Latin class in the world, and if you can't use examples from texts to back up your opinion on how something is supposed to be said, then you're not going to get much respect from him.

It completely boggles my mind why people here are against reading Latin texts. The only way to properly learn a language is from native speakers, and since there are no native speakers of Latin left alive, you need to use the texts.
-A.E. Housman

Babelfish

Postby Babelfish » 2009-10-09, 16:38

I don't think people are against reading Latin texts (at least not everyone :P ), this is the proper way to learn any language - well, and conversing, which is kinda problematic for Latin... But I can imagine that a course which focuses on reading and understanding given texts, rather than constructing your sentences, would be less useful for the latter end.

(I'm talking generally here, I don't know the exercises in Wheelock's)

Kasuya

Postby Kasuya » 2009-10-09, 18:06

nickshanks wrote:I would advise against Wheelocks, the content in it is aimed at learning to read Latin prose and verse.

Isn't that what most learners of Latin hope to get out of learning the language?

Fabiano

Postby Fabiano » 2009-11-24, 12:15

This "Teach Yourself Latin" someone mentioned earlier is a wonderful book for anyone who might be interested in learning Latin.

I have a copy myself and strongly recommend you to try and purchase it in a second hand bookstore.

Personally speaking I think it's no use to try to learn how to speak Latin. In most situations you will only use Latin when you need to read something originally written in the language, so the most important thing is to learn how to read and write it, and not how to speak it. Pronunciation, which is a matter of concern for many people, is for me a minor detail. You can read Marcus Aurelius and even Caesar without knowing how to pronounce the words adequately.

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2009-11-24, 20:20

Marcus Aurelius wrote in Greek.
-A.E. Housman

Fabiano

Postby Fabiano » 2009-11-25, 10:37

And? :roll:

Can't we read his text in Latin because he wrote in Greek?

Well I have an online copy of his Meditationes in Latin and it's a dead beautiful book.

gyrus

Postby gyrus » 2009-11-26, 16:56

Ultimately it'd be really good to be able to write in Latin, even better to be able to converse.
Twitter
YouTube

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2009-11-26, 20:41

Fabiano wrote:And? :roll:

Can't we read his text in Latin because he wrote in Greek?

Well I have an online copy of his Meditationes in Latin and it's a dead beautiful book.

That's kind of nonsensical...

You don't learn Russian to read Kafka.
-A.E. Housman

Fabiano

Postby Fabiano » 2009-11-29, 14:11

:ohwell:

M Aurelius was a Roman emperor/thinker. I thought you could be able to understand the connection, but if you aren't, what can I do??

Anyway I'll repeat that the Latin version of the Meditationes is amazing, and not difficult to read.

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2009-11-30, 3:01

M Aurelius was a Roman emperor/thinker. I thought you could be able to understand the connection, but if you aren't, what can I do??

So what? It's still just a translation and that it's into Latin doesn't give you any more insight or appreciation for his literary abilities than if it were into English or Portuguese. You don't learn Czech to read translations of Kafka's works even though Czech was his first language. His works were written in German and meant to be read in German. Likewise, Marcus Aurelius's work was written in Greek and meant to be read in Greek. If you're going to read a translation of the Meditations you may as well read them in a language that you won't have to go to unnecessary lengths to understand it.
-A.E. Housman

Return to “Latin (Latina)”