Questions about Indonesian

Moderator:atalarikt

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator
Questions about Indonesian

Postby aaakknu » 2018-01-19, 19:42

1. What is the difference between "memiliki" and "mempunyai"?
2. What is the difference between "aku" and "saya"; "kamu" and "anda"?
3. Does "apa" turn a sentence into question? (in the same way as "ba" in Tagalog)
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

linguoboy

Re: Questions about Indonesian

Postby linguoboy » 2018-01-23, 16:56

Irusia wrote:2. What is the difference between "aku" and "saya"; "kamu" and "anda"?

Familiarity/politeness. Essentially, it's T/V distinction.

I don't know anything about Tagalog grammar, but apa can be used at the beginning of a sentence to indicate that a yes/no answer is expected (cf. Hindi क्या). E.g. Apa Bapak sudah makan? "Have you [masc. sing. form. pol.] eaten yet?"
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-01-23, 18:29

linguoboy wrote:
Irusia wrote:2. What is the difference between "aku" and "saya"; "kamu" and "anda"?

Familiarity/politeness. Essentially, it's T/V distinction.

I don't know anything about Tagalog grammar, but apa can be used at the beginning of a sentence to indicate that a yes/no answer is expected (cf. Hindi क्या). E.g. Apa Bapak sudah makan? "Have you [masc. sing. form. pol.] eaten yet?"

Thank you! Terima kasih!
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-01-23, 18:41

Oh, I also did some searching to see if I could find anything on memiliki vs mempunyai, but it seems that if there's a distinction between them, it's pretty subtle. What I did find is that they're both formal verbs and in colloquial speech punya is more common than either.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Bubulus

Postby Bubulus » 2018-01-26, 17:34

Irusia wrote:1. What is the difference between "memiliki" and "mempunyai"?

Check out the response I got from a native speaker in IpseDixit's thread:
https://forum.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=51441

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-01-30, 22:28

Irusia wrote:3. Does "apa" turn a sentence into question? (in the same way as "ba" in Tagalog)

Mostly yes. It can also be "apakah" in formal speech.
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-02-03, 14:51

Thank you!
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-02-03, 21:46

What is the role of "yang" in a sentence?
TAC 2019

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-03, 22:13

Irusia wrote:What is the role of "yang" in a sentence?

Essentially, it's a relativiser, e.g.:

orang yang membangun rumah saya "the person who built my house"

but the relative clause doesn't always require a verb:

orang yang seperti saya "a/the person who is like me"

which leads to it being used frequently with adjectives, e.g.:

orang yang pandai dan periang "a person who is clever and cheerful"

Yang is obligatory in most cases (like this) where adjective phrase consists of multiple words. Otherwise it has an emphatic or distancing value. It can also serve to distinguish compounds from ordinary noun phrases, e.g.:

kamar kecil "toilet" (lit. "small room")
kamar yang kecil "small room" (i.e. any room which happens to be small)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-02-07, 19:22

linguoboy wrote:Essentially, it's a relativiser, e.g.:

orang yang membangun rumah saya "the person who built my house"

but the relative clause doesn't always require a verb:

orang yang seperti saya "a/the person who is like me"

which leads to it being used frequently with adjectives, e.g.:

orang yang pandai dan periang "a person who is clever and cheerful"

Yang is obligatory in most cases (like this) where adjective phrase consists of multiple words. Otherwise it has an emphatic or distancing value. It can also serve to distinguish compounds from ordinary noun phrases, e.g.:

kamar kecil "toilet" (lit. "small room")
kamar yang kecil "small room" (i.e. any room which happens to be small)

Thank you!
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-02-07, 19:29

What does "ada" mean? I thought it means "to be", but today I saw it in a context where it meant "to have" (but it was in the form "mengadakan").
TAC 2019

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-08, 3:35

Irusia wrote:What does "ada" mean? I thought it means "to be", but today I saw it in a context where it meant "to have" (but it was in the form "mengadakan").

It has multiple meanings, depending on the context.

For example, "ada seorang pria di depanku" means "there is a man in front of me", but "mereka mengadakan sebuah acara di kebun itu" means "they held an event in that garden".

As you can see, "mengadakan" means "to hold (an event)".
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-08, 18:20

Irusia wrote:What does "ada" mean? I thought it means "to be", but today I saw it in a context where it meant "to have" (but it was in the form "mengadakan").

My understanding of the circumfix meN-V-kan is that it makes a verb or adjective causative, e.g. bangun "wake up" (intr.) > membangunkan "wake [somebody] up", bersih "(be) clean" > membersihkan "to clean".

So if you think of ada as meaning "be [in place]", "exist", then mengadakan could be interpreted as "cause to be in a place", "make exist", which easily explains a usage like "hold [an event]".

atalarikt, can you say ada sebuah acara di kebun itu?

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-08, 21:00

linguoboy wrote:.atalarikt, can you say ada sebuah acara di kebun itu?

Yes you can. It literally means "there is an event (held) in that garden".

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-02-12, 16:30

Thank you!

Another question:
Is "tidak" pronounced [tidak] or [tidaʔ]?
I listened to the song "Bagi Tuhan tak ada yang mustahil" on youtube and I think I heard [taʔ ada] instead of [tak ada] there.
TAC 2019

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-12, 16:58

Irusia wrote:Is "tidak" pronounced [tidak] or [tidaʔ]?

[tidaʔ]

Final k is pronounced [ʔ] as a rule. The only possible exceptions might be recent borrowings from languages like English.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-02-12, 18:02

linguoboy wrote:[tidaʔ]

Final k is pronounced [ʔ] as a rule. The only possible exceptions might be recent borrowings from languages like English.

Thank you for the answer!
TAC 2019

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-02-16, 0:48

linguoboy wrote:Final k is pronounced [ʔ] as a rule. The only possible exceptions might be recent borrowings from languages like English.

Some other native words also have the k pronounced as it is written (although pretty rare nowadays), such as the word jorok (vulgar, dirty) [dʒɔrɔk], kutuk (to curse, as in mythical curses) [kʊtʊk], and cerdik (clever, cunning) [tʃərdik].

langmon

Learning Indonesian and Malay as something like a single language

Postby langmon » 2018-11-10, 11:10

Is there any possibility to learn Indonesian and Malay as a single language?
This (if it is possible) would be like learning it one time only for the purpose of being able to communicate with the people of the two countries.
this is a reboot

gerterryy

Postby gerterryy » 2019-04-27, 2:48

Let me help you with your questions:
1. memiliki and mempunyai actually both mean 'to have' in Indonesian language. The only difference is that 'memiliki' is more commonly used in formal Indonesian while 'mempunyai' is more commonly used in spoken or less formal Indonesian.
2. 'saya' is more neutral while 'aku' is used among close relation and between kids.

Hope the above could help. Thank you.

Source:
learn Indonesian online

Return to “Indonesian/Malay (Bahasa Indonesia/Bahasa Malaysia)”