a Malay-English dictionary that show diacritics ?

Moderator:atalarikt

RichardA
a Malay-English dictionary that show diacritics ?

Postby RichardA » 2009-07-19, 14:27

Hello, this is my first post here.
I'm hoping someone can help with a problem.

I am looking for a Malay <-> English dictionary [book] that shows the diacritics of the letter 'e' - how it is pronounced for different words.

The only books I've come across that show this are quite old, like Winstedt's book from 1964, i.e. books published before the 1972 reform.

I've spent a couple of days scouring the web for reviews or previews of more modern (post 1972) Malay dictionaries, but frustratingly none of the reviews and book descriptions mention anything about it.

Does anyone know of a book that has this feature?

Yrs/
Richard

polar

Re: a Malay-English dictionary that show diacritics ?

Postby polar » 2009-09-07, 5:16

RichardA,

As you'd mentioned and I deemed you'd know that after the reform, the diacitic has been omitted. I doubt you'd ever find any modern publications with.

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2009-12-24, 3:10

The online version of Kamus Dewan distinguishes between /ə/ (no marks) and /e/ (<é>). Although it’s a monolingual dictionary, and although it might be tedious to look up every single word you happen to meet, it might still be the closest to your needs available.
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

riblit

Postby riblit » 2009-12-29, 6:58

I found a copy of "Teach Yourself Malay" in the local library. It uses an acute accent to distinguish the two "e" sounds, although it notes that there is no longer any distinguishing marks in malay texts.

The book is still in print, ISBN 0-07-146847-1 for the book and CDs

John

bodolahman

Postby bodolahman » 2010-05-13, 6:42

RichardA wrote:Hello, this is my first post here.
I'm hoping someone can help with a problem.

I am looking for a Malay <-> English dictionary [book] that shows the diacritics of the letter 'e' - how it is pronounced for different words.

The only books I've come across that show this are quite old, like Winstedt's book from 1964, i.e. books published before the 1972 reform.

I've spent a couple of days scouring the web for reviews or previews of more modern (post 1972) Malay dictionaries, but frustratingly none of the reviews and book descriptions mention anything about it.

Does anyone know of a book that has this feature?

Yrs/
Richard

Hello Richard, setakat sekarang, saya masih belum jumpa lagi dengan kamus yang awak maksudkan. Bahasa Melayu memang banyak perbezaan sebutan "e" yang berbeza-beza. Contoh ketara "ekor" dan "emak".

Amat sedih sekali kerana memang sukar jumpa dengan kamus sebegini. Saya rasa, untuk sebutan huruf2 vokal yang lain, biasanya direct to the point saja. Jika O = sama dengan sebutan english "OWL", I = sama dengan IKAN, A= sama seperti "FATHER", U = sama seperti "ULAR". Sebutan dalam Bahasa Melayu boleh dikatakan hampir 95% sama dengan sebutan vokal dalam Bahasa Sepanyol.

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2011-05-30, 0:13

A Comprehensive Indonesian-English Dictionary shows the pronunciation when not predictable from spelling. It is a good dictionary and includes Malay words.
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Return to “Indonesian/Malay (Bahasa Indonesia/Bahasa Malaysia)”