I made the sentences below to get a feel of how different English tenses are expressed in Malay. Please check what I've written for accuracy and please explain the ones I got wrong or didn't know.
1. I speak Spanish.
2. I used to play video games.
3. I ate a cookie 5 min. ago.
4. Last year he was ill.
5. When his parents built the house, he was ill.
6. At the beginning of this year he has been ill, now he is fine again.
7. He had broken a leg, therefore he couldn't come to school.
8. I’m reading a book now.
9. I was working while she was studying.
10. I was eating there (- let's say lunch) until I got to know that there were cockroaches in the kitchen. Then I left (immediately).
11. I had been lying there for 3 hrs. before I fell asleep.
12. You will have been eating for 10 min. when I finish.
13. He wants me to go home now.
14. I would buy more food but I’m full now.
15. You are baptized now. ‘passive’
16. You were baptized for 5 min. ‘passive’
17. The city was destroyed by the fire ‘passive’
18. I had been baptized 3 times by 2001.
19. I will have been baptized 6 times by 2002.
20. If he paid me more, I would stay. (2 possibilities for ‘if he paid me more’)*
21. We would have built the house, if we had had the money.*
In my Malay translation, I for the most part only translated the verb portion of the sentences. that's the only part I'm concerned with. So remember when correcting what I wrote I only need the verbs not the whole sentence. (unless you feel translating the entire sentence would be better for everyone viewing the post)
- sudah bermain
- sudah makan
- dia sakit
- sedang membuat, dia sakit
- dia sakit, tetapi sekarang dia baik
- dia kakinya patah (tulang), tidak boleh pergi (isn’t ’dia’ optional?)
- saya sedang membaca
- sedang bekerja selagi/ketika dia sedang belajar
- sedang makan di sana, sehingga saya tahu bahawa ada lipas di dapur selepas saya pergi
- saya berbaring di sana ** sebelum saya tidur
- bila saya menyelesaikan, kamu pasti sudah makan **
- dia mahu saya pulang sekarang
- saya mahu saja membeli tetapi saya kenyang
- kamu sedang membaptiskan
- kamu membaptiskan untuk lima minit
- kota itu menghancurkan oleh api
- saya sudah membaptiskan tiga kali
- saya pasti sudah membaptiskan enam kali
- jika dia membayar saya lebih (lagi), saya pasti tinggal
- kalau kami cukup wang, kami pasti sudah membina rumah ini
** <- these asterisk marks indicates that I purposely left out that portion of the sentence since I know what it is already