Word Meaning Differentiation

Moderator: atalarikt

Esmeralda

Word Meaning Differentiation

Postby Esmeralda » 2008-08-13, 0:59

[English]

Dear all,

I am doing a research on 5 Malay words which are synonymous. They are CAMPAK, LEMPAR, LONTAR, BALING, BUANG. All these are actions of throwing. I need to know the differences in meaning for these 5 words. Yes, I know that they are synonyms and thus are very near in meaning. What I want to know is the difference that they have. Linguistic experts said that there are no reason why two words which have exactly the same meaning should exist. Therefore, linguists believe that there are no exact synonyms. Thus, I believe that these 5 words do have differences. I am a chinese and therefore I really need help from genuine malay speakers, who can offer me information on the senses that these words have, which differentiate them from one another (especially on the ways of throwing, etc). Your help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you.

[Malay]

Hello semua,

Saya sedang menjalankan satu kajian berhubung dengan makna perkataan bersinonim. Lima perkataan yang dikaji ialah CAMPAK, LEMPAR, LONTAR, BALING, dan BUANG. Saya memerlukan maklumat berkenaan perbezaan antara lima perkataan ini. Walaupun kelima-lima perkataan ini mempunyai makna seerti, namun ahli bahasa mengatakan bahawa tidak ada sebab satu-satu bahasa mempunyai dua perkataan yang mempunyai makna yang seratus peratusnya sama. Oleh itu, saya percaya bahawa lima perkataan ini mempunyai sedikit perbezaan. Namun, saya perlu mendapatkan maklumat berkenaan ciri-ciri yang membezakan lima perkataan ini (terutamanya berkenaan cara objek dilepaskan, dll). Disebabkan saya bukan penutur asli bahasa Melayu, saya amat memerlukan bantuan daripada pengguna asli bahasa Melayu. Saya benar-benar berharap agar semua penutur bahasa Melayu dapat membantu saya. Segala maklum balas amatlah dihargai. Terima kasih.
Last edited by Esmeralda on 2008-10-06, 12:58, edited 2 times in total.

Desmond

Re: Can someone help me...Pls....

Postby Desmond » 2008-08-14, 8:50

Tough questions :|

1. Buang
To throw something because we don't want it anymore.
Membuang sampah

2. Lempar
To throw something to the air. Put it simple: the thing that you lempar 'flies' higher than thing that you buang
Dia melempar orang itu dengan batu
He throws a stone at that person

So:
a. Dia membuang batu itu means that he simply throws the stone away either to a trash can or to the floor.
b. Dia melempar batu itu means that he throws the stone and makes it 'flies' in the air

3. Campak
- To throw harder, usually with a sense of anger, disgust
Dia mencampakkan surat itu ke lantai
- Used as a metaphore. More like 'to desert'
Dia mencampakkan kekasihnya dan pergi bersama perempuan lain

4. Lontar
Usually 'lontar' is used to describe a throwing action done by a tool or a machine and the result of the throwing action is stronger, further or higher.

Now see this:

Dia membuang buku itu ke lantai. Saya ambil dan melemparkannya kembali ke atas meja. Dia mengambil buku itu kembali, kemudian mencampakkannya dengan marah.

He throws the book to the floor (because he doesn't want it anymore). I pick it up and throw it back to the table (I am standing about 1 meter from the table. I grab the book and throw it to the table (the book 'flies' to the table). He takes the book then throws it away in anger.

As for 'baling', sorry I've never heard this word before, not in the meaning of to throw something.

Hope it helps.

0stsee

Postby 0stsee » 2008-08-14, 18:07

Wow, it is a tough question. There are differences between those words, and Desmond made a good job explaining them. Thumbs up!

The word baling reminds me of baling-baling.
Perhaps it means like throwing something using the centrifugal force?
Ini tandatanganku.

Esmeralda

Postby Esmeralda » 2008-08-15, 5:06

Thank u Desmond and Ostsee.. I appreciate the comments... Gave me a blink.

bodolahman

Postby bodolahman » 2010-05-13, 8:41

0stsee wrote:Wow, it is a tough question. There are differences between those words, and Desmond made a good job explaining them. Thumbs up!

The word baling reminds me of baling-baling.
Perhaps it means like throwing something using the centrifugal force?

Ostsee,

1. baling is not same as baling-baling.
baling is lempar, but a bit harder or harsh, refer to the act with impolitely/discourteous.
ex: Penyanyi itu dibaling telur busuk kerana persembahannya yang begitu teruk.
The singer has been thrown with rotten eggs due to his/her performance bad.

2. baling-baling is kipas atau propeller, see here: http://id.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baling-baling

Return to “Indonesian/Malay (Bahasa Indonesia/Bahasa Malaysia)”