pronunciation of d in the middle (as in Ordet)

Moderator:Johanna

littlepond
pronunciation of d in the middle (as in Ordet)

Postby littlepond » 2017-06-20, 18:11

Hello everyone!

Sorry if this has been covered in any previous thread, but I couldn't find it. My question was about all those nouns which end in a silent 'd' in their singular, as, I believe, is the case with "et ord" ("a word", with a retroflex R, I believe at the end). When it becomes definite singular (ordet, or, with the biblical meaning, Ordet), does the 'd' still remain silent (and thus both 'd' and 't' to be silent in this word)? Thus, retroflex "R" sound, followed by the "ai" kind of sound?

I am guessing all, or most nouns with silent 'd' at the end, work like this?

Thanks in advance! Mange takk!
[flag=]hi[/flag] born in it, [flag=]en[/flag] first love, [flag=]fr[/flag] can discuss philosophy in it, [flag=]gu[/flag] can hear garba all night long, [flag=]it[/flag] can just about manage in it, [flag=]de[/flag] remnants of forgotten basics, [flag=]et[/flag] learning with zest, [flag=]sa[/flag] was in school and now want to re-learn, [flag=]no[/flag][flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag][flag=]ta[/flag] next on radar

Astrum

Re: pronunciation of d in the middle (as in Ordet)

Postby Astrum » 2017-06-24, 18:12

Whether the 'd' is silent depends on the dialect. In the dialects where the 'd' in 'ord' is silent (most dialects), it remains silent in definite singular ('ordet').

Whether the 't' is silent also depends on the dialect, but this applies to all neuter nouns that end in 't' because of their declension (definite singular). A silent 'd' does not affect the pronunciation of the 't'.

littlepond

Postby littlepond » 2017-06-25, 16:43

Thanks so much, Astrum!
[flag=]hi[/flag] born in it, [flag=]en[/flag] first love, [flag=]fr[/flag] can discuss philosophy in it, [flag=]gu[/flag] can hear garba all night long, [flag=]it[/flag] can just about manage in it, [flag=]de[/flag] remnants of forgotten basics, [flag=]et[/flag] learning with zest, [flag=]sa[/flag] was in school and now want to re-learn, [flag=]no[/flag][flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag][flag=]ta[/flag] next on radar

Astrum

Postby Astrum » 2017-06-26, 15:28

Sure thing! Just let me know if you have any other questions. :)

littlepond

Postby littlepond » 2017-06-27, 11:50

Thanks a lot for your offer! Just to clarify further on the same: so, in "gode" (the adjectival form derived from "god") as well, does "d" remain silent in those dialects where "d" is silent in "god"?

Astrum

Postby Astrum » 2017-06-27, 14:06

Yes. :)

littlepond

Postby littlepond » 2017-06-27, 19:37

Thanks again! :)

Return to “Norwegian (Norsk)”