NORWEGIAN DISCUSSION // Norskdrøfting

Moderator:Johanna

TeneReef
Re: NORWEGIAN DISCUSSION // Norskdrøfting

Postby TeneReef » 2014-11-08, 23:37

EinarJ wrote:Well, given the variety in the dialects, stuff like that isn't uncommon. For instance dative is dead in written language

except in some expressions :wink:

å gå i svevne / ho døyde i svevne.

at times, other cases are kept, like old genitive: å koma til botnar
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

EinarJ

Postby EinarJ » 2014-11-08, 23:43

Well, those are mostly frozen grammar constructs if I'm not mistaken, just like how "Folkens" is a frozen ablative-form. But yes, you are right, dead grammar remains intact in fixed terms for quite some time. (The same holds true for english too, the affirmative forms of yes/no "yay" and "nay" survive in certain contexts for instance)

Raufoss

SV: God St. Patricks dag alle sammen!

Postby Raufoss » 2015-03-17, 0:10

Raufoss wrote:
Rounin wrote:
Raufoss wrote:Hva heter"St. Patrick's Day" i norge?

Er det bare "St. Patrick's dag"kanskje?

Jeg vil gjerne skrive på norsk "I will wear my green University of Oslo International Summer School t-shirt on St. Patrick's Day."

Bare "St. Patrick's Day", egentlig.

Raufoss wrote:Her er mitt forsøk:

Jeg skal "wear" (å bære?) min grøn Universitetet i Oslo internasjonal sommerskole t-skjorte på St. Patrick's dag.

Jeg ville nok si "Jeg skal ha på meg den grønne "Universitetet i Oslo internasjonal sommerskole"-T-skjorten min på St. Patrick's Day."

Men "min grønne "Universitetet i Oslo internasjonal sommerskole"-T-skjorte" og "St. Patrick's dag" er også helt OK.

Tusen takk for hjelpen Rounin! :y:

Det var snilt av deg. :)

Her er lenken til opplysninger om Patrick av Irland funnet jeg i går:[/b]

http://no.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_av_Irland

God St. Patricks dag alle sammen!

Jeg skal ha på meg den grønne Universitetet i Oslo internasjonal sommerskole-T-skjorten min hele
St. Patricks dagen!
8-)
Vær snill og rett feilene mine

Native: English
Intermediate: Norsk [Bokmål]
Basic Knowledge: Italiano & español

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-03-20, 19:22

So, I watched Trollhunter (Trolljegeren) yesterday. It was kind of amazing and I loved it and want to watch it again. But one of the actors had a weird accent that I want to try and get identified. It sounded like he had the "guttural" R /ʁ/ and he kept saying "ikke" like it was Faroese, /ɪt͡ʃə/. I've never heard that before. :o Can anyone identify that dialect/accent?
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2015-04-02, 8:22

A lot of Western dialects have /tS/ instead of /C/ for the "KJ sound" so it's not as uncommon as you might think :) So unless you can tell me the character's name it's a little hard to pinpoint, haha. But it seems like there were several actors from the Stavanger area at least.
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2015-04-02, 18:44

Yeah, I figured it was a western dialect. Takk. :D
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2015-04-02, 20:55

Lauren wrote:Yeah, I figured it was a western dialect. Takk. :D

Kvifor likar du ikkje vestlandske dialekar? :|
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

hashi

Postby hashi » 2015-04-27, 4:39

Hey, can anyone tell me what the dialect sung in this song is? A sample of the lyrics:

Du lurt mæ, mer ennj før
Skulj ønsk du kunj brennj som e gjør
E æ en fugl som itj kanj fly
Men e bær fortsatt
Ringen din

(full lyrics)
(en-nz)(ja)(sv)(it)(mi)(et)

Sono ancora qui (a volte), ma probabilmente non ti voglio parlare.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2015-04-27, 15:42

Well, the palatalisation would suggest some sort of Trøndersk, but I have no idea beyond that.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2015-05-02, 9:43

Yeah, it is :) I'll give you two maps to give you a better picture on where it is, as there are two features in her dialect that I never knew would be in the same dialect.

"Oss" and "dåmm" are used as subjects, which is not very common. Very few people live where it is used, and typical of northern Austlandsk.
http://www.its-learning.com/content/ebo ... 228733.gif

"Ittj" is fairly common, but typical (and almost exclusive to) Trøndersk. I've only ever heard people with variants of "oss" as a subject use the word "ikkje" or "ikkji"
http://www.its-learning.com/content/ebo ... 28810.html

The two features overlap in the very Northern part of Hedmark, and after a few quick Google searches, it seems like she is from Kvikne, a town that used to belong to Trøndelag, but was transferred to Hedmark.

So, in short: She's from Kvikne, and her dialect is trøndersk. Altneratively inntrøndsk if you want to be more technical.
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)

hashi

Postby hashi » 2015-05-03, 13:02

Aleco wrote:Yeah, it is :) I'll give you two maps to give you a better picture on where it is, as there are two features in her dialect that I never knew would be in the same dialect.

"Oss" and "dåmm" are used as subjects, which is not very common. Very few people live where it is used, and typical of northern Austlandsk.
http://www.its-learning.com/content/ebo ... 228733.gif

"Ittj" is fairly common, but typical (and almost exclusive to) Trøndersk. I've only ever heard people with variants of "oss" as a subject use the word "ikkje" or "ikkji"
http://www.its-learning.com/content/ebo ... 28810.html

The two features overlap in the very Northern part of Hedmark, and after a few quick Google searches, it seems like she is from Kvikne, a town that used to belong to Trøndelag, but was transferred to Hedmark.

So, in short: She's from Kvikne, and her dialect is trøndersk. Altneratively inntrøndsk if you want to be more technical.

Fantastic, thanks a lot Aleco (and Johanna). I was curious as I had never seen so much palatalisation or 'ittj' in a Norwegian dialect before. I didn't notice the 'oss' as the nominative though, I will have to have another look ;) But thanks!
(en-nz)(ja)(sv)(it)(mi)(et)

Sono ancora qui (a volte), ma probabilmente non ti voglio parlare.

Núria Harket

Postby Núria Harket » 2015-05-04, 12:26

(this is in Danish)

Elvdalsk: det nordiske sprog, som ingen har hørt om

http://nyheder.ku.dk/alle_nyheder/2015/ ... um=twitter

Diogenes

Postby Diogenes » 2015-06-18, 2:01

Jeg har et kort spørsmål om navn på farger. Når man skal bruke ordet ikke som adjektiv, men som substantiv, bør navnet bøyes som hankjønn eller intetkjønn? For eksempel, står det "grønn er en farge" eller "grønt er en farge"?

I have a short question about the names of colors. When someone is using the word not as an adjective, but as a noun, should the name be declined as masculine or neuter gender? For example, should it be "grønn er en farge" or "grønt er en farge"?
Om alle var lykkelige ville vi ikke hatt noe god musikk.

Astrum

Postby Astrum » 2015-06-18, 8:32

Diogenes wrote:Jeg har et kort spørsmål om navn på farger. Når man skal bruke ordet ikke som adjektiv, men som substantiv, bør navnet bøyes som hankjønn eller intetkjønn? For eksempel, står det "grønn er en farge" eller "grønt er en farge"?

I have a short question about the names of colors. When someone is using the word not as an adjective, but as a noun, should the name be declined as masculine or neuter gender? For example, should it be "grønn er en farge" or "grønt er en farge"?

Hei!

Substantivsformen av farger er egentlig substantiverte adjektiv, som du helt riktig er inne på. Man bruker da intetkjønnsformen -- substantivene heter altså "grønt", "blått", "rødt", "hvitt" osv. Merk at noen adjektiv har samme form i intetkjønn som i hankjønn (dette gjelder hovedsakelig adjektiv som følger tredje deklinasjon). Eksempler er "oransje" og "lilla".

Det heter derfor "grønt er en farge".

Diogenes

Postby Diogenes » 2015-12-01, 15:06

Hva er forskjellen mellom alt og allting i disse to setningene for eksempel?

Jeg kan forklare alt.
Jeg kan forklare allting.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2016-01-04, 14:15

Hi everyone, I've very recently started learning Norwegian and I have a question:

- is there an equivalent of the English -ing form for verbs?

Allekanger

Postby Allekanger » 2016-01-04, 19:33

IpseDixit wrote:Hi everyone, I've very recently started learning Norwegian and I have a question:

If you mean forming nouns in a way it's "the same" ending as in English; -ing. E.g. from øve ('to practice') you get øving ('the action of practicing'). :) When it's comes to the progressive -ing in English, I don't think Norwegian uses the progressive form, but uses the simple form instead.

About the Norwegian -ing ending (in Norwegian): https://www.ordnett.no/spr%C3%A5kverkt% ... 5kvett.ing

About the progressive (or lack thereof) in Norwegian: http://www.iu.hio.no/kurs/EnglishGramma ... tm?FParm=1

I hope that helps! Good luck with your studies, Norwegian is awesome! :)

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2016-01-19, 20:08

Diogenes wrote:Hva er forskjellen mellom alt og allting i disse to setningene for eksempel?

Jeg kan forklare alt.
Jeg kan forklare allting.

Jeg tok en titt på Duolingo for noen dager siden og oppdaga at de bruker allting veldig mye. Er det der du har det fra? Iallfall vil jeg påstå at det er ganske ubrukt for jeg hører aldri at noen bruker det, og ser det i skrift veldig sjelden. Og nettopp fordi det aldri brukes reagerte jeg på at det var det ordet man lærer for "everything" på Duolingo.
IpseDixit wrote:Hi everyone, I've very recently started learning Norwegian and I have a question:

Allekanger gave you a lot of information already, but I will add one thing. A verb in the present tense alone will sound a little bookish and formal, so the most native-like way to convey the continuous tenses is by saying one of four things:

å sitte og // å sitja og (to be doing while seated)
- jeg sitter og leser // Eg sit og les (I'm reading/studying)

å stå og // å stå og (to be doing while standing)
- jeg står og lager mat // eg står og lagar mat (I'm cooking)

å drive og // å drive og (to be doing) [may also replace the two previous phrasings, especially å stå og]
- jeg driver og kler på meg // eg driv og kler på meg (I'm getting dressed)
[It also seems to be more likely to replace the other phrasings when there's a sense of seriousness involved]
- jeg driver og leser // Eg driv og les (I'm studying / reading something thoroughly)
^ It sounds a bit off if you want to say you're reading a book for fun and go with å drive og. On the other hand, keep in mind that jeg sitter og leser can also mean you're studying, however. You shouldn't worry about this as I can't think of many examples.

Incidentally, the most common way to ask what someone is doing is "Hva driver du med?" // "Kva driv du med?" but you can use one of the other two constructions when giving your reply.

å være og // å vera og (to be doing while not present) [usually said about a 3rd person]
- jeg er og spiser // Eg er og et (I'm eating) [e.g. left on a note or said over the phone]

Diogenes

Postby Diogenes » 2016-01-22, 15:13

Aleco wrote:Jeg tok en titt på Duolingo for noen dager siden og oppdaga at de bruker allting veldig mye. Er det der du har det fra? Iallfall vil jeg påstå at det er ganske ubrukt for jeg hører aldri at noen bruker det, og ser det i skrift veldig sjelden. Og nettopp fordi det aldri brukes reagerte jeg på at det var det ordet man lærer for "everything" på Duolingo.

Ja, det er Duolingo jeg har det fra, og det er ikke den eneste oversettelsen jeg er usikker på. For eksempel, sier man egentlig "Kan du gjøre meg en tjeneste?" på norsk? "Kan du gi meg en tjeneste" høres bedre ut, ikke sant?

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2016-01-28, 0:50

Faktisk er gjøre riktig i denne sammenhengen :) En annen ting jeg imidlertid ikke liker med norsken på Duolingo er at de bruker ubestemt artikkel i alle sammenhenger. De sier at det er riktig å si jeg er en snekker, men morsmålstalere sløyfer vanligvis artikkelen når det står et definerende susbtantiv (f.eks. yrke eller kjønn) til være eller bli (unntak: når det kommer inn et adjektiv) eller når et substantiv står som objektsform (f.eks. kjøre bil eller spise banan). Dette er selvfølgelig grovregler.

Feilgrepet på Duolingo kommer nok enten av at folk trur at den ubestemte artikkelen sløyfes på grunn av latskap når den egentlig aldri har vært der, eller av at folk oversetter direkte fra engelsk.

jeg er mann // jeg er en stor mann
han vil bli snekker // han vil bli en dyktig snekker

du har hund // du har [en] snill hund
de fikk blomst // de fikk [en] rød blomst

I de to siste eksemplene vil nok mange foretrekke å bruke ubestemt artikkel både med og uten adjektivet. Jeg skal innrømme at jeg ikke er helt sikker på hva som anses som riktig grammatikk i dette tilfellet.

Return to “Norwegian (Norsk)”