Study in Norway?

Moderator:Johanna

benjamino59
Study in Norway?

Postby benjamino59 » 2014-07-24, 0:15

Hej!

I'm soon beginning in gymnasiet here in Denmark, and I'm considering studying linguistics in Norway after that. I've visited the University of Oslo's homepage (http://www.uio.no/studier/program/lingvistikk/) to find out more about the education, but I'm confused about a couple of things:

1) What do they look at when you apply? Do they only look at the average of your grades in high school, or are there any entrance exams?

2) Are there any requirements to the subjects you've taken in high school? Would I be fine if I did my A-levels in Danish, History, Latin, Greek and French?

3) The website says that you have to participate in a støttegruppe worth 40 studiepoeng. Is it the equivelant of a tilvalg in Denmark? (which is worth 45 points)

4) Then there's these Frie emner. Am I allowed to choose completely free from all courses? Even if it's not related to linguistics?

5) What university offering linguistics in Norway is the best/finest?

På forhånd tak! :)

Aleco

Re: Study in Norway?

Postby Aleco » 2014-07-28, 0:17

Hey there! So sorry about the late answer, but I'm not as active anymore. Ill try to remember to check back here soon to see your reply.

1) They only look at your GPA; your grade point average.

2) As long as you've graduated in Denmark, you're eligible.

3) Støttegruppe is more or less the same as a minor - a set, or group, of classes within a single field. For people studying linguistics this tends to mean taking 40 credits, or ECTS, in a foreign language. I'm doing linguistics this year at the University of Oslo, and I have a lot of friends who've done the whole bachelor's degree. One has taken Chinese, another did Japanese, and the third one just finished Portuguese as her støttegruppe. It's called a group of classes so that you're forced to take at least 40 points of whatever language you're doing so that you learn quite a lot of it and so that you can tie it to whatever you're learning in your linguistics classes.

4) What you want is up to you! The vast majority seems to go abroad, though, and I would definitely recommend that.

5) Probably the University of Oslo. I can give you some contact information to a Danish friend of mine who's studying here if you'd like :)
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Return to “Norwegian (Norsk)”