Å høre på norsk / Listening To Norwegian

Moderator:Johanna

snøfnugg
Å høre på norsk / Listening To Norwegian

Postby snøfnugg » 2012-12-02, 19:11

Hei

I looked but could not find a thread about this so I made a new one, hope that is okay. :blush:

Jeg vil gjerne vite hvordan forstå talt Norsk. Kan dere hjelpe meg?

I have seen videos on youtube that I really want to understand, but the words all merge into one another and I don't know how to begin to understand it :?

Written language is always easier for me than spoken, but I want to learn both if possible. I have "Berlitz Norwegian Phrase Book And Dictionary" which is very helpful for me and has CD of basic phrases, but hearing "real" Norwegian being spoken is much different to "Hvor er busstasjonen?" :huh:
Last edited by snøfnugg on 2012-12-14, 23:34, edited 1 time in total.
Snøfnugg

Raufoss

Re: Lytter Til Norsk / Listening To Norwegian

Postby Raufoss » 2012-12-02, 22:57

snøfnugg wrote:I have seen videos on youtube that I really want to understand, but the words all merge into one another and I don't know how to begin to understand it :?
Ett forslag jeg har er å lytte til norske radiostasjoner hver sjanse du får.

One suggestion I have is to listen to Norwegian radio stations every chance you get.

Norwegian Radio Stations

Et annet forslag er å se noen norske filmer som har engelsk tekst.

Another suggestion is to watch some Norwegian movies that have English subtitles.

Nordisk Filmdiskusjon
Vær snill og rett feilene mine

Native: English
Intermediate: Norsk [Bokmål]
Basic Knowledge: Italiano & español

snøfnugg

Postby snøfnugg » 2012-12-03, 20:18

Hei Raufoss,

Tusen takk for forslagg dine (and for the links).

These sounds like good suggestions, however - if I listen to Norwegian radio how will I learn what they are saying if I don't have a translation for it, if you see what I mean?

Or is it more a case of training my ears to hear Norwegian?

:)
Snøfnugg

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2012-12-04, 7:37

snøfnugg wrote:Hei

I looked but could not find a thread about this so I made a new one, hope that is okay. :blush:

Jeg vil gjerne vite hvordan jeg kan forstå muntlig norsk [bedre]. Kan dere hjelpe meg?

I have seen videos on youtube that I really want to understand, but the words all merge into one another and I don't know how to begin to understand it :?

Written language is always easier for me than spoken, but I want to learn both if possible. I have "Berlitz Norwegian Phrase Book And Dictionary" which is very helpful for me and has CD of basic phrases, but hearing "real" Norwegian being spoken is much different to "Hvor er busstasjonen?" :huh:
Well, there are e.g. Disney clips on YouTube where the characters speak in a normal pace. These clips are often subtitled, or have a script in the video decription.

Well, after going on YouTube to check, I take that back. There used to be a lot, but I guess they were removed. Anyways, here's one clip for you. I'll write you the script here now. That way, you can follow the pronunciation while reading. That might be the best way to start getting used to the language. If not, it's at least one [of the better] way[s] :wink:

- Simba!
- Simba, jeg er svært skuffet over deg.
- Ja, far.
- Du kunne ha blitt drept! Du var med vilje ulydig, og hva verre er, du satte Nala i fare!
- Jeg prøvde bare å være modig, som du.
- Jeg er bare modig når det er nødvendig. Simba, å være modig betyr ikke at du skal oppsøke fare.
- Men du er jo ikke redd for noe.
- Jeg var det i dag.
- Var du?
- Ja, jeg var redd for å miste deg.
- Å, så til og med konger kan bli redde, he?
- Mhm.
- Men vet du hva, far? Jeg tror de hyenene var enda reddere.
- Nei, man skal ikke bråke med faren din! Kom her, gutt!
- Å, nei, nei! Kom her! Der tok jeg deg!
- Far?
- Hm?
- Vi er venner?
- Ja.
- Og vi to skal alltid være sammen.
- Simba, la meg fortelle deg noe som min far fortalte meg. Se på stjernene. Fortidens store konger ser ned på oss fra stjernene.
- Gjør de?
- Ja. Så når du føler deg alene, så husk det at de kongene alltid vil kunne lede deg. Og jeg også.
snøfnugg wrote:Hei Raufoss,

Tusen takk for forslagene dine (and for the links / og for lenkene).
Just correcting ;)

And also; the title needs a small correction: Å høre på norsk. I think Remis (the other Norwegian in here) agrees with me when I say that lytte is not a word we tend to use.

Also, we don't often use that -ing form in Norwegian, so we say "to ___" instead. The -ing form in Norwegian is basically only used as an adjective ("-ende") or as a noun ("-ing")
å le = to laugh
leende jente = laughing girl
leing = [the act of] laughing
x jenta leende av det = the girl laughing at that...
jenta som ler av det = the girl laughing at that...
x jenta liker leing = the girl likes laughing
jenta liker å le = the girl likes laughing

(Please note that jenta er leende/smilende/pratende works grammatically, but is either formal or poetic. Thus, jenta sitter smilende mot meg is not a bad sentence, but it's very much a written sentence.)
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2012-12-04, 8:18

snøfnugg wrote:Or is it more a case of training my ears to hear Norwegian?

Yes, even though in the beginning you don't understand much of what is being said, I feel like this is a good way to train your "ears to hear Norwegian." :)

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2012-12-04, 21:32

Tusen takk for forslagg dine (and for the links).

These sounds like good suggestions, however - if I listen to Norwegian radio how will I learn what they are saying if I don't have a translation for it, if you see what I mean?

Here's an article you might be interested in reading:

To learn a foreign language listen to it first.

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2012-12-05, 20:08

snøfnugg wrote:These sounds like good suggestions, however - if I listen to Norwegian radio how will I learn what they are saying if I don't have a translation for it, if you see what I mean?

From my own personal experience it seems like the more I listen to spoken Norwegian, the easier it becomes for me to understand what is being said. During my trip to Norway three years ago, I made the effort to immerse myself in Norwegian by listening to Norwegian radio and watching Norwegian television every day. At first I only understood about 20 - 30% of what was being said, but after several weeks it seemed like everyone was speaking more slowly and my comprehension was getting up closer to 70%. 8-)

Remis

Postby Remis » 2012-12-09, 13:39

I just realised what you guys could listen to! Norwegian radio drama! We have/had really good radio drama, and while I'm not sure how much is broadcast nowadays, the detective/crime pieces sent on Sundays are usually really good. It might even be possible to get a transcript on the NRK site, but I'm not sure.

Here's the site for the podcast: http://www.nrk.no/radio/ then click the tab down the left side that says "NRK Nettradio." I'm not sure how you would listen to it, unfortunately, as I'm missing a plug-in and can't install it for reasons.
Remis Kalvan | art / ˈfɛɪsˌbʊk | L1: [flag]no-nb[/flag] L2: [flag]en[/flag] reading short stories in: [flag]it[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]

TAC 2012 [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]la[/flag] ([flag]es-mx[/flag] [flag]non[/flag])
Of immense interest: [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]akk[/flag] [flag]egy[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]mt[/flag] [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]prg[/flag] [flag]nah[/flag] [flag]qu[/flag] [flag]nv[/flag] [flag]zh.Hant[/flag]
Wanderlustin' for [flag]ain[/flag] [flag]ka[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag] [flag]cy[/flag] [flag]af[/flag]

snøfnugg

Postby snøfnugg » 2012-12-14, 23:32

Aleco, tusen takk for Disney :D I listened to it just now, it was good following the text you wrote. It seemed that sometimes the written words or parts of them seemed to be skipped when I heard the lions speak, I guess some words merge into one another when spoken? I will listen and read this often though, it will be good practice for me :yep:

Aleco wrote:

Tusen takk for forslagene dine (and for the links / og for lenkene).
Just correcting ;)

Jeg liker når du korekt! Tusen takk :)

Aleco wrote:And also; the title needs a small correction: Å høre på norsk. I think Remis (the other Norwegian in here) agrees with me when I say that lytte is not a word we tend to use.

Also, we don't often use that -ing form in Norwegian, so we say "to ___" instead. The -ing form in Norwegian is basically only used as an adjective ("-ende") or as a noun ("-ing")
å le = to laugh
leende jente = laughing girl
leing = [the act of] laughing
x jenta leende av det = the girl laughing at that...
jenta som ler av det = the girl laughing at that...
x jenta liker leing = the girl likes laughing
jenta liker å le = the girl likes laughing

(Please note that jenta er leende/smilende/pratende works grammatically, but is either formal or poetic. Thus, jenta sitter smilende mot meg is not a bad sentence, but it's very much a written sentence.)

Ooh, this is veldig vanskelig - I need to read this a few more times until it sinks in.
Snøfnugg

snøfnugg

Postby snøfnugg » 2012-12-14, 23:52

Hei Raufoss,

Tusen takk for the linked article about listening to a language - it makes sense.

Raufoss wrote:From my own personal experience it seems like the more I listen to spoken Norwegian, the easier it becomes for me to understand what is being said. During my trip to Norway three years ago, I made the effort to immerse myself in Norwegian by listening to Norwegian radio and watching Norwegian television every day. At first I only understood about 20 - 30% of what was being said, but after several weeks it seemed like everyone was speaking more slowly and my comprehension was getting up closer to 70%. 8-)

Sounds like you have made good progress! Your suggestion of listening to as much Norwegian as I can is very helpful - I have tried the Norwegian Radio stations, I found the 'Alltid Nyheter' one to be my favourite because it is mostly just talking which is what I want to listen to (the one I tried first, NRK P1, had too much ENglish-speaking music playing! Not what I want to hear :para: )

I listen to 'Alltid Nyheter' at work on my earphones, I've tried to listen to it for a little while each day, and also sometimes in the evening at home. I am starting to maybe pick out one or two words I recognise (I get excited when I hear a word I recognise) but I have only done it for a few days so it is early yet. But it I enjoy listening to it anyway.

øgså, jeg har kjopt en musikk cd norsk :D det har kommet i dag :woohoo: og det inkluderer tekst norsk so I can read the words while I listen :)
Remis wrote:Here's the site for the podcast: http://www.nrk.no/radio/ then click the tab down the left side that says "NRK Nettradio." I'm not sure how you would listen to it, unfortunately, as I'm missing a plug-in and can't install it for reasons.

Remis, this sounds interesting, I'd really like to listen - I've found NRK Nettradio on the link you posted but I can't figure out how to play it. Maybe when my brain is working a bit better I'll give it another go.

Tusen takk :woohoo: to everyone helping me with my question of listening to Norwegian, there are some great ideas on this thread that are helping me and I'm sure will help anyone else who finds this discussion.

Oh, and I changed the title of the thread as per Aleco's comment :yep:
Snøfnugg

Aleco

Re: Å høre på norsk / Listening To Norwegian

Postby Aleco » 2012-12-15, 1:27

Jeg liker [det] når du retter meg
Og så har jeg kjøpt en norsk CD. Den kom i dag, og det følger meg norsk tekst så jeg kan lese ordene samtidig
:wink:

Jeg skjønner veldig godt at det er innfløkt! Og jeg godtar at du gjør feil - det er ikke merkelig i det hele tatt. :) Hvilke ord fra Løvenes Konge syntes du smeltet sammen?
I can understand very well that it's complicated! And I accept that you make mistakes - that's in no way strange. :) What words from The Lion King did you think blended together?
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Conversational (sv) Understands (dk) Minored in and lived in (ja) Actively studying (hu)
Exposed to (fo) Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs)

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2012-12-15, 18:49

snøfnugg wrote:øgså, jeg har kjopt en musikk cd norsk :D det har kommet i dag :woohoo: og det inkluderer tekst norsk so I can read the words while I listen :)

Tusen takk :woohoo: to everyone helping me with my question of listening to Norwegian, there are some great ideas on this thread that are helping me and I'm sure will help anyone else who finds this discussion.
Morten Harket, tidligere vokalist i A-ha, har to CDer som er på norsk.

Morten Harket, former lead singer of A-ha, has two CDs that are in Norwegian.

Her er linker til videon av sangen Natten fra Poetenes Evangelium CD'en med norsk og engelsk tekstene:

Here is the link to the video of the song "Natten" from the Poetenes Evangelium CD with subtitles in Norwegian and English:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXgdvCtL_c0

snøfnugg

Re: Å høre på norsk / Listening To Norwegian

Postby snøfnugg » 2012-12-21, 11:51

Aleco wrote:Jeg liker [det] når du retter meg
Og så har jeg kjøpt en norsk CD. Den kom i dag, og det følger meg norsk tekst så jeg kan lese ordene samtidig
:wink:

Oh! Jeg realisere feil min! I got the 'ø' and 'o' letters the wrong way round in the words 'ogsa' and 'kjøpt'! :para:

Aleco wrote:What words from The Lion King did you think blended together? [/i]

These are the words that seem to blend:
Jeg prøvde bare å være modig, som du.
modig når det er nødvendig.
Men du er jo ikke redd for noe.
Jeg tror de hyenene var enda reddere.
Så når du føler deg alene

I thought there was more than that, but as I listen to it again it seems more understandable :)
But the ones I've listed, no matter how hard I stare at the words and listen, I just can't quite match what I hear with what is written.
Snøfnugg

snøfnugg

Postby snøfnugg » 2012-12-21, 12:04

Raufoss wrote:Morten Harket, tidligere vokalist i A-ha, har to CDer som er på norsk.

Morten Harket, former lead singer of A-ha, has two CDs that are in Norwegian.

Den norsk CD jeg kjøpte er fra Morten Harket! Vogts Villa! :D Er dun en fan av Morten også?

Raufoss wrote:Her er linker til videon av sangen Natten fra Poetenes Evangelium CD'en med norsk og engelsk tekstene:

Here is the link to the video of the song "Natten" from the Poetenes Evangelium CD with subtitles in Norwegian and English:

Tusen takk for er linker, er det en herlig sang :)
Snøfnugg

Return to “Norwegian (Norsk)”