Norsk med Tysk

Moderator:Johanna

Vertigo
Norsk med Tysk

Postby Vertigo » 2012-10-26, 13:11

Hey guys,

Apologies if this is the wrong place for this. I wanted to ask if anyone has experience of learning Norwegian and German at the same time, or one after the other? Specifically I'd like to know if German will interfere with my Norwegian. I've been offered free German lessons, but am worried about confusing the two, especially since norsk is my long-term focus.

Thanks

(Edit: Also, sorry if this has ben asked before somewhere. I looked but couldn't find anything related to my question.)

Heimdal

Re: Norsk med Tysk

Postby Heimdal » 2012-10-26, 13:24

Can't say how it is with German and Norwegian, but when I had both English and German in school I did mix a whole lot between the two languages.

language learner

Postby language learner » 2012-10-26, 14:48

I'd say, wait till you get intermediate in the one before begining with the other.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2012-10-26, 15:19

My experience probably isn't very relevant, since I had a solid knowledge of German before seriously attempting any Scandinavian language, but the only real interference problem I've had is with word order in subordinate clauses. The rules here for Standard Swedish (and Standard Norwegian, insofar as I can tell) are different from both English and German, and I find I have to resist the tendency to import German syntax.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

NogueiraTrue

Postby NogueiraTrue » 2013-01-01, 20:04

I also want to learn German, but I think that I will try German after I get advanced with Norwegian, to be more focused on one language.

Lauren

Postby Lauren » 2013-01-05, 4:55

Actually, German was the first language I started learning, and Norwegian the second. :D

I had no problem with them. I never confused one for the other, and had gotten to an intermediate level at least in German, and close in Norwegian. But that was almost 5 years ago I started German, and 3.5 since I stopped both.
Native:            (en-US)
Advanced:       (eu)
Just started:    (cs)
Trans woman  Image

Return to “Norwegian (Norsk)”