Old Norse/Futhark

Moderator:Johanna

alezon
Old Norse/Futhark

Postby alezon » 2012-09-26, 0:50

Hi,
I'm getting a tattoo soon and I am wondering how you would translate "bring torden" into the old norse language of futhark. Any help is much appreciated.
Thank you,
Alex

Remis

Re: Old Norse/Futhark

Postby Remis » 2012-09-26, 5:47

ᛒᚱᛁᛜ ᛏᛟᚱᛞᛖᚾ. Here's an image file if you don't have a Runic font installed: http://i45.tinypic.com/35ivchs.png
Please make absolutely sure that that is correct before you get the actual tattoo. There are tons of rune charts around on the internet, such as these, that you can check and double-check with. I don't want to be responsible for a typo or something, hahaha.
Also, I should tell you that this subforum only deals with the modern Norwegian language. So if you want more help with Old Norse, you should post here instead; they are probably more able to help you. :P
The file I linked to is only the transliteration of "bring torden" into the futhark, by the way. If you want an actual translation into Old Norse, you should ask around at the subforum I linked to above; I'm not confident enough in Old Norse yet to give you a proper translation, sorry.
Anyway, good luck with your tattoo! :mrgreen:
Remis Kalvan | art / ˈfɛɪsˌbʊk | L1: [flag]no-nb[/flag] L2: [flag]en[/flag] reading short stories in: [flag]it[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]

TAC 2012 [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]la[/flag] ([flag]es-mx[/flag] [flag]non[/flag])
Of immense interest: [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]akk[/flag] [flag]egy[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]mt[/flag] [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]prg[/flag] [flag]nah[/flag] [flag]qu[/flag] [flag]nv[/flag] [flag]zh.Hant[/flag]
Wanderlustin' for [flag]ain[/flag] [flag]ka[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag] [flag]cy[/flag] [flag]af[/flag]

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2012-09-26, 11:26

There are also several different ones, the one Remis used is the Elder Fuþark which was used in the time of Proto-Germanic and Proto-Norse, while most Old Norse inscriptions are in the Younger Fuþark, which varied a bit depending on location and "font".

And it's not a language, it's a script. Saying "the Old Norse language of Fuþark" is like saying "the English language of Alphabet" ;)
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

alezon

Postby alezon » 2012-09-26, 16:51

Thank you both for the help! I actually made the switch to "storm portene" which I believe is the imperative of the english saying "storm the gates". But again, thank you for the help!
Alex

Sekisei

Postby Sekisei » 2012-09-28, 14:06

Hey,
Is there a research institute in Norway which makes research in the area of Old Norse scriptures, runic inscriptions, etc?
It would be interesting to contact them for materials.
Thanks

Remis

Postby Remis » 2012-09-28, 14:47

I don't know if there's an actual research institute, but I do know that you can do a Bachelor in Nordic Language and Culture (i.e. Old Norse) at the University of Oslo, so I imagine they could recommend you some resources if you e-mail them or something.

Other than that, I posted a bunch of links to books and courses in this thread; just scroll down until you get to the Old Norse section.
Remis Kalvan | art / ˈfɛɪsˌbʊk | L1: [flag]no-nb[/flag] L2: [flag]en[/flag] reading short stories in: [flag]it[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]

TAC 2012 [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]la[/flag] ([flag]es-mx[/flag] [flag]non[/flag])
Of immense interest: [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]akk[/flag] [flag]egy[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]mt[/flag] [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]prg[/flag] [flag]nah[/flag] [flag]qu[/flag] [flag]nv[/flag] [flag]zh.Hant[/flag]
Wanderlustin' for [flag]ain[/flag] [flag]ka[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag] [flag]cy[/flag] [flag]af[/flag]

Sekisei

Postby Sekisei » 2012-10-03, 23:13

Oh cool, tusen takk!

Herbalist_Jo

Postby Herbalist_Jo » 2019-03-15, 20:46

Can someone translate these runes and give their meanings? Or if it’s a saying?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2019-03-18, 1:00

Herbalist_Jo wrote:Can someone translate these runes and give their meanings? Or if it’s a saying?

You should really have asked in the Ancient, Classical and Extinct Languages forum, since those are Anglo-Saxon runes, and thus whatever it is, is most likely in Old English ;)

Using Wikipedia, the transcription is WROTEUS.

What it means, on the other hand... Nope, can't even guess. It doesn't even look Germanic to me, more Latin-like. But then again, I'm not very familiar with Old English, especially not the variety old enough to use runes rather than the Latin script.
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Sarabi

Postby Sarabi » 2020-01-04, 7:29

Maybe the tattoo artist played a joke. Maybe the person asked for them to write "us" in runes, and so they wrote "wrote us." :whistle:

Either that or they were attempting to write Proteus, one of the Greek gods. Can't think of anything else.
Philyra Games (språkspill)

B1+ (no)(fr)(es) A1-A2 (ro)(zh)(it)(sw)

Return to “Norwegian (Norsk)”