Dagens ord eller uttrykk

Moderator:Johanna

Lizzern
Re: Dagens ord eller uttrykk

Postby Lizzern » 2009-08-06, 22:26

Vet ikke egentlig helt hva det betyr å røyke sokkene, men basert på oversettelsen tror jeg uttrykket vi bruker i min omgangskrets er "e' du steingalen?"

Men nå er ikke jeg den beste å spørre om slikt, leeeenge siden jeg har vært integrert i et hovedsakelig stavangersktalende miljø, så jeg er ikke helt oppdatert om de snedigste uttrykkene dessverre...

slipbats0

Postby slipbats0 » 2009-08-07, 21:49

Jeg anbefaler alle i hop å holde seg unna dagbladet og vg hvis de vil lære seg skikkelig norsk, ikke bare er de fulle av pisspreik når det gjelder selve nyhetsmaterialet, men de er og skrevet på ekkel politikernorsk. :- ( Kjenner ikke til hvordan aftenposten kjennes men jeg er blitt fortalt at den er ''tørr og skikkelig''. (jeg gidder som oftest ikke å lese norske skvipaviser lenger)

I'd recommend everyone to keep away from ''dagbladet'' and ''vg'' if they want to learn proper norwegian, because they're not only full of bullshit when it comes to the news themselves, but they're also written in yucky politico-norewegian. Don't know how ''aftenposten'' feels but i've been told that it's ''dry and proper''. (i usually can't be arsed to read shitty norwegian newspapers anymore)

Vet ikke egentlig helt hva det betyr å røyke sokkene, men basert på oversettelsen tror jeg uttrykket vi bruker i min omgangskrets er "e' du steingalen?"

Hva med ''Har du hål i håve?!'' :whistle:

Sokkerøyking kjenner jeg og til (og har brukt), men det der med ryggen var nytt for meg. Det er jo et ganske skjønt uttrykk da, lurer på hvor det stammer fra.

Raufoss

Newspaper of choice Aftenposten

Postby Raufoss » 2009-08-09, 18:46

Letehn wrote:I'd recommend everyone to keep away from ''dagbladet'' and ''vg'' if they want to learn proper norwegian, because they're not only full of bullshit when it comes to the news themselves, but they're also written in yucky politico-norewegian. Don't know how ''aftenposten'' feels but i've been told that it's ''dry and proper''. (i usually can't be arsed to read shitty norwegian newspapers anymore)

So in other words, if we only have time to attempt reading just a few Norwegian newspaper articles per day, then ''Aftenposten'' should probably be our newspaper of choice over "VG" and "Dagbladet" if we are serious about learning proper Norwegian language.
Vær snill og rett feilene mine

Native: English
Intermediate: Norsk [Bokmål]
Basic Knowledge: Italiano & español

slipbats0

Postby slipbats0 » 2009-08-09, 20:10

That would be my recommendation yes. Maybe other members can recommend newspapers where the reporters haven't sold their souls to the devil. :)

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2009-08-10, 4:52

Letehn wrote:That would be my recommendation yes. Maybe other members can recommend newspapers where the reporters haven't sold their souls to the devil. :)
Okey, tusen takk for det. :)

Today I learned that the expression "håper du vil ha en snarlig bedrig" can be used when you hope someone has a "quick recovery" from an injury. Previously I thought that "god bedring" could only be used to mean "get well soon, but I learned that two possible translations for "bedring" are "improvement" and "recovery."

On a side note, my friend suffered a "lårskad" (thigh injury) på fotball kampen. Another friend called the injury a "lårhøne," but so far I haven't been able to find out what the English equivalent of this would be. The literal translation would be something like "thigh hen," but that doesn't make a lot of sense to me. In a more technical sense I'm guessing that my friend's injury was a slight tear of one of the dozen or so muscles in her upper leg.

Lizzern

Postby Lizzern » 2009-08-14, 20:51

I think a 'lårhøne' just refers to an injury a person got from being kneed in the thigh pretty bad. Though I'm not the sportiest person in the world so I'm not sure I would really know.

Here's a suggestion, in case you don't already know it: "harry".

It's rather more emphatic variant would be "blodharry" (there may be others too), and a person who embodies this, ehm, quality, might be referred to as a "harrytass".

It's often used about svenskehandelen and certain behaviour when people are in Syden, but can also be used about specific people or even objects very effectively.

It's an important word to know these days, I reckon it's probably fairly new, but extremely useful.

Thoughts, anyone?

Liz

Raufoss

Charley Horse

Postby Raufoss » 2009-08-14, 21:14

Lizzern wrote:I think a 'lårhøne' just refers to an injury a person got from being kneed in the thigh pretty bad. Though I'm not the sportiest person in the world so I'm not sure I would really know.
I have since learned that this is the type of injury that is sometimes called a "charley horse" in English. I have no idea where this expression comes from, but recall having heard it back in my basketball playing days. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley_horse

Lizzern wrote:Here's a suggestion, in case you don't already know it: "harry".

It's rather more emphatic variant would be "blodharry" (there may be others too), and a person who embodies this, ehm, quality, might be referred to as a "harrytass".

It's often used about svenskehandelen and certain behaviour when people are in Syden, but can also be used about specific people or even objects very effectively.

It's an important word to know these days, I reckon it's probably fairly new, but extremely useful.

Thoughts, anyone?

Liz
Right now I'm stumped with this one Liz. :oops: Maybe I can at least come up with an educated guess the next time I visit the forum. :wink:

Har en fin helg alle sammen! :)

Raufoss

Harry og Blodharry

Postby Raufoss » 2009-08-18, 0:17

Lizzern wrote:It's often used about svenskehandelen and certain behaviour when people are in Syden, but can also be used about specific people or even objects very effectively.

Thoughts, anyone?

Liz
Your comment of "certain behaviour when people are in Syden" made me wonder if "harry" could describe the Norwegian equivalent of the rude behavior of the so-called "ugly American." :hmm:

A google search on "harry" gives me 254 million results. :shock: However, a search of "blodharry" gives me 13,700 results and there were a few clues to the meaning in the top 30 results (along with the link to this thread. :D )

At this point I would guess that "blodharry" could mean "very poor or inappropriate taste and/or behavior." Am I getting close? ;)

Raufoss

SV: Harry og Blodharry

Postby Raufoss » 2009-08-18, 0:47

There are some more good clues to the meaning of "harry" and "blodharry" that I found in the following article:

http://pub.tv2.no/nettavisen/side2/tvgu ... 622975.ece

Ikke harry

- Grilldressen er jo selve inkarnasjonen av det vi forbinder med harry og sydenliv. Føler dere dere sånn?

- Nei, vi føler oss ikke harry. Dette er noe vi gjør for moro skyld, påpeker Kent, men er kjapp med å medgi:

- Det har jo blitt veldig seriøst etter hvert.

My rough attempt at a translation:

Not "harry"

- The grill attire is the actual incarnation of what we associate with "harry" and "syden" life. Do you feel you like that?

- No, we do not feel "harry." This is something we do for fun, "says Kent, but is quick to reveal:

- It has become very serious over time.

Tar nordmenn på kornet

Programmet er TV3s første skikkelige suksess denne våren, der de på ferieøya Grand Canaria dokumenterer nordmenns noe blodharry sydenvaner. For det har lenge vært harry å reise til syden på pakketur, og i hvert fall til en av de klassiske stayerne som Grand Canaria er. Men det er nettopp dette som gjør at alle kan kjenne seg igjen i programmet, For uansett alder: Vi har vært der, kjenner til det og skjemmes kanskje litt - samtidig som vi gleder oss til neste tur.

Another translation attempt:

Taking Norwegians to the the T

The program is TV3's first real success this spring, where they vacation in Grand Canaria documenting some of the Norwegians "blodharry" "syden habits." For it has long been "harry" to travel to the south on a package tour, and at least one of the classic stays which is Grand Canaria. But it is precisely this that makes it so that all can recognize themselves in the program, For ages: We've been there, know it and may put shame to it a little - and at the same time we look forward to the next trip.
Last edited by Raufoss on 2009-08-19, 10:43, edited 1 time in total.

Lizzern

Postby Lizzern » 2009-08-18, 7:50

Å skjemmes = to feel ashamed. Otherwise I think that was mostly accurate.

Harry isn't really about rudeness or inappropriate behaviour, it's a bit more like doing embarrassing or cringeworthy things without realizing it, things that others might look at and think "but don't they realize that...?" and most of the time they don't.

I think some people kinda throw the term around a bit too much, but to me it's t-shirts with vacation spot prints on them, svenskehandel, weird plastic gadgets (one time my parents saw a flying cow in France, it was small and had wings and ran on batteries), rånebil, and numerous other things. I'm not sure if that clarifies things.

Just observe it in action I guess, knowing that some people over-use it... :-)

j0nas

Postby j0nas » 2009-08-18, 16:05

It is really hard to describe what harry means, a quite vague term about different working class habits, perhaps?

Like, going to Mallorca is harry. Going to the Riviera is not.
Harry people tend to vote for FrP, they like Ole Ivars, they don't like modern art, but prefer things like Brudeferden i Hardanger. They listen to P4 and watch TVNorge.

Things that are bad taste, cheesy, things that the "cultural elite" stay the hell away from, are harry.

If that made any sense.

slipbats0

Postby slipbats0 » 2009-08-18, 20:38

Samstemmer med ''campy'' på engelsk, gjør det ikke det? :)

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2009-08-19, 10:39

Lizzern wrote:Å skjemmes = to feel ashamed. Otherwise I think that was mostly accurate.
Takk for hjelpen og for positiv tilbakemelding. :y:

Lizzern wrote:Harry isn't really about rudeness or inappropriate behaviour, it's a bit more like doing embarrassing or cringeworthy things without realizing it, things that others might look at and think "but don't they realize that...?" and most of the time they don't..
This is a great explanation. I especially love your use of the term "cringeworthy." :D

Lizzern wrote:I think some people kinda throw the term around a bit too much, but to me it's t-shirts with vacation spot prints on them, svenskehandel, weird plastic gadgets (one time my parents saw a flying cow in France, it was small and had wings and ran on batteries), rånebil, and numerous other things. I'm not sure if that clarifies things.

What do you think about giving as gifts to Norwegian children that are nice t-shirts and sweatshirts from places you have been to on vacation such as Hollywood. If the children are under the age of 15 and they are all interested in Hollywood, do you think that they would like these gifts or just consider them to be "harry?" :hmm:

If I wanted to start another thread for further discussion of this subject of appropriate gifts to give friends and families in Norway could I call the thread something like "Gave å gi i Norge" (Gift giving in Norway)?

Also, could someone comment more about the "harry" qualities of a "rånebil" (is this a rental car?) and "svenskehandel" (Swedish shop) and please give a few more examples of "harry" when you have a chance.

På forhånd takk!

Lizzern

Postby Lizzern » 2009-08-19, 11:21

I think t-shirts with prints as gifts would be reserved for small children, but I'm not sure that even they would 'get it', they'd be much more appreciative of a toy. It doesn't matter if it's the same toy they just looked at yesterday at Toys 'R' Us (yes we have those here too), the point is you got them something. Cooler if you get them something local, as long as they like it. For children over 12-ish, you risk buying them something uncool, putting them in the awkward situation of having to sound appreciative while they plot the unfortunate demise of their gift.

I think you might want to go with "Gavetradisjoner i Norge" for your thread, or something along those lines, what you said means "gift to give in Norway" and makes about the same amount of sense as it does in English :) (i.e. it sounds a bit clunky, no?)

Here's one example of a rånebil: http://media.photobucket.com/image/r%25 ... rvolvo.jpg
It's not a rental car, more like the kind of car that guys in the just-got-my-license-but-still-living-with-my-mama age group cruise around town with. It doesn't have to be quite as bad as the example above, but this car is essentially the incarnation of shabby chic, leaning heavily toward the former.

Incidentally, Wunderbaum is harry. (There are no exceptions to this rule.)

There are quite a few weird combinations of first names in Norway (that is, people are given their first name and what in the US would probably be called a middle name, but they always use them both and consider both combined as being their first name), many of which are harry. Glenn-Willy and things like that. (Not a real example - I'm exaggerating to make a point and also trying to protect myself from inadvertently insulting someone's actual name as an example.) No offense to anyone who might be reading this who has a name along those lines...

The best thing for you to do to understand what being harry involves is to read Pondus every day. You will quickly pick up the details of what is meant by harry, you'll learn a bunch of other things as well, and have some good laughs of course. Clicky:
http://www.dagbladet.no/tegneserie/pondus/

Liz

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2009-08-19, 17:19

Lizzern wrote:I think t-shirts with prints as gifts would be reserved for small children, but I'm not sure that even they would 'get it', they'd be much more appreciative of a toy. It doesn't matter if it's the same toy they just looked at yesterday at Toys 'R' Us (yes we have those here too), the point is you got them something. Cooler if you get them something local, as long as they like it. For children over 12-ish, you risk buying them something uncool, putting them in the awkward situation of having to sound appreciative while they plot the unfortunate demise of their gift.
Tusen takk for svaret Liz.

Lizzern wrote:I think you might want to go with "Gavetradisjoner i Norge" for your thread, or something along those lines, what you said means "gift to give in Norway" and makes about the same amount of sense as it does in English :) (i.e. it sounds a bit clunky, no?)
Tusen takk for forslaget. About all I can say in defense of my previous suggestion is that it was written under the influence of insomnia. :D

I read everything you, j0nas, and Letehn have written and really appreciate your input. :y:

BTW - my word for the day today is "råne." :wink:

Martine

Postby Martine » 2009-08-22, 12:03

According to my "Rettskrivingsordbok" "råne" means:
:arrow: hanngris
:arrow: bli rå
:arrow: bli frisk
:arrow: kjøre formålsløst rundt med bil
According to ordnett.no it means:
:arrow: oppføre seg rånete

slipbats0

Postby slipbats0 » 2009-08-22, 14:41

Why do you people have to discuss words that make me ashamed of being norwegian. :whistle:

Diogenes

Postby Diogenes » 2009-08-22, 22:28

Å, du kan ikke si det uten en forklaring til oss som ikke er nordmenn! :D Hva mener du med det?

Oh, you can't say that without an explanation for those of us that aren't Norwegian! :D What do you mean by that?
Om alle var lykkelige ville vi ikke hatt noe god musikk.

slipbats0

Postby slipbats0 » 2009-08-24, 8:38

Hehe. Jo, jeg kjenner ordet ''råner'' som en (eller ei, hva vet vel jeg) med mindreverdighetskomplekser* som kjøper bråkete bil og kjører omkring og runker den (billedlig talt) i gatene om natta. :whistle:

Hehe. Well, i know the work ''råner'' as referring to a guy (or gal, what do i know) that has something to make up for and (i forget the actual english word here) buys a car and drives around masturbating it (metaphorically speaking) in the streets at night.

*litterally ''less-worthyness-complexes''

Raufoss

Postby Raufoss » 2009-08-26, 19:05

Letehn wrote:Hehe. Well, i know the work ''råner'' as referring to a guy (or gal, what do i know) that has something to make up for and (i forget the actual english word here) buys a car and drives around masturbating it (metaphorically speaking) in the streets at night.
The English expression that first comes to mind for me is "making up for sexual inadequacies." :mrgreen:

When I was a teenager, I recall that we sometimes referred to a "rånebil" as being a "muscle car."

Return to “Norwegian (Norsk)”