Dzień Dobry

Edgar Souse
Dzień Dobry

Postby Edgar Souse » 2015-11-11, 20:41

Cześć,

I have been browsing the forum for a couple of days. Looking for self study resources for Polish. I have the 30 lesson Pimsleur Polish 1 recordings I started a couple weeks ago. It seems to work well given my commute to and from work. I am thinking of combining that with the Rosetta Stone program for assistance with reading and writing. I also have the Memrise app to help with spelling and vocabulary. Aside from half hearted attempts to learn Spanish in high school and college, this is my first time trying to study another language. It may seem like an add choice, but my father's family is mostly Polish and Ukrainian.

księżycowy

Re: Dzień Dobry

Postby księżycowy » 2015-11-11, 21:00

Cześć!
Are you asking for resource suggestions, or something else?

Edgar Souse

Postby Edgar Souse » 2015-11-11, 21:46

Just any suggestions on other resources for self study. I did see something through the University of Pittsburgh but have not looked into it much.

I don't know how highly regarded commercially popular programs like Pimseleur and Rosetta Stone are, so I'm curious what else is out there. Although, I do feel as though those two are a good start.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2015-11-11, 22:24

It all depends on how far you want to get with the language and why you are studying it, but i can recommend First Year Polish by Swan without hesitation. There is also Beginning Polish by Schenker, which has fantastic coverage of the sound system of Polish. However Schenker is a bit tougher in regard to his grammar explanatons, unlike Swan.

Swan's text is available on the University of Pittsburg site, as I'm sure you saw. I've seen both that and the older print [i.e. Second edition].

There are others, but I'll start here.

Edgar Souse

Postby Edgar Souse » 2016-01-24, 2:15

Thank you for the suggestions, and sorry I am just now getting around to replying to this! The Swan book is no longer on the University of Pittsburgh site, but I saw a few copies on Amazon.com. I might just try and get both books there.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2016-01-24, 16:09

Huh, that's curious. :hmm:

They seem to be in the middle of doing something.

Return to “Polish (Polski)”