Colloquial Polish? Also - does Radom have a special dialect?

n8an
Colloquial Polish? Also - does Radom have a special dialect?

Postby n8an » 2015-07-04, 15:01

Hi guys,

Not sure if this has been posted already. If so, sorry!

I'm looking to start learning Polish basically from nothing, and I'm wondering what you guys think of the Colloquial Polish book. I think it looks decent for a beginner...right?

Also, bonus question: I have some family from Poland, who are from Radom. Is there a special dialect of Polish in Radom?

Thanks!

pittmirg

Re: Colloquial Polish? Also - does Radom have a special dialect?

Postby pittmirg » 2015-07-04, 16:47

n8an wrote: I have some family from Poland, who are from Radom. Is there a special dialect of Polish in Radom?

Definitely the Radom region (like most places in Poland within the pre-1939 borders) used to have its own dialect different from Standard Polish*. In the recent centuries, generally such local dialects came to be associated with rural areas (and stigmatized as signs of boorishness and lack of education). So these days travelling through Poland you might not come across too many hints that such dialects even exist(ed). In most areas people take little pride in them and even if (usually the older) people have not rid themselves of typically an already fairly diluted version of the traditional dialect, they will avoid speaking it to strangers. There are certain exceptional places where people (even city dwellers) value their dialect more and keep it far from being moribund or extinct but I don't think Radom is one of them so I wouldn't count too much on your family speaking some strongly localized flavour of Polish. Your typical contemporary Polish urbanite will speak in a very similar way, whether from Szczecin or from Rzeszów, with just tiny phonetic differences and some different vocabulary.

*it's a northern subtype of the Lesser Poland dialect, transitional towards the Mazovian dialect. Here's a sample from that area.
Śnieg, zawierucha w nas

Return to “Polish (Polski)”