Best resources - both in print and online?

Kenny

Best resources - both in print and online?

Postby Kenny » 2013-11-08, 1:25

Hey guys.

I hope it's okay I've made a new thread for this, looks like this subforum doesn't have a pinned discussion thread. I was wondering if maybe you could tell me what you think the best resources for someone considering starting Polish would be?

Thanks a lot. :)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Re: Best resources - both in print and online?

Postby Luís » 2013-11-08, 9:21

Assimil's Le polonais sans peine isn't bad (there's a new version now called simply Le Polonais - I'm not sure how different it is from the one I have). Colloquial Polish is good too. The best grammar around is definitely Routledge's Polish An Essential Grammar, by Dana Bielec.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2013-11-08, 12:48

If you really want to get to the heart of pronunciation and grammar, I recommend Beginning Polish by Schenker. It is a bit dated, but it has one of the most extensive pronunciation sections I've ever seen in a Polish textbook, and the grammar is pretty comprehensive as far as beginning textbooks get.

I've also have First Year Polish by Swan, and Spoken World: Polish by Living Language and would recommend them both. Spoken World: Polish being on of the more up-to-date texts I have. Personally I didn't care for Colloquial Polish, I thought their style of vocabulary and grammar presentation was haphazard.

I'd also say that one of the best grammars for Polish is A Grammar of Contemporary Polish by Swan. It's even available online for free, so judge for yourself with this one:
http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/grammar.pdf
Though, I do like other grammars and grammar workbooks I've bought from Routledge, so I'm by no means knocking them.

EDIT: Here's the site the grammar came from, it also contains an up-to-date (free!) version of First-Year Polish, and other goodies:
http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2013-11-08, 13:12

księżycowy wrote:EDIT: Here's the site the grammar came from, it also contains an up-to-date (free!) version of First-Year Polish, and other goodies:
http://polish.slavic.pitt.edu/

Damn, now I'm wanderlusting for Polish again... :(
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

księżycowy
Language Forum Moderator

Postby księżycowy » 2013-11-08, 14:03

Glad to be of service! :P

Патрислав Андреевич

Postby Патрислав Андреевич » 2013-11-08, 16:01

I also recommend the website of Grzegorz Jagodziński with a course (here) and a grammar (here). :)

Return to “Polish (Polski)”