Michałek - Moje pytania o języku polskim

Michael
Michałek - Moje pytania o języku polskim

Postby Michael » 2011-03-17, 0:04

My godmother had me type down a message for her, and I tried my best to translate. Here it is.
Małgosia była dziesięć dni w Australii, na szkoleniu z pracy, a teraz pisze pracę magisterską, będzie w październiku bronić pracę magisterską.
Malgosia was in Australia for 10 days, at school from work, and she is now writing her thesis, and will be taking exams in October.
Last edited by Michael on 2013-12-19, 21:22, edited 3 times in total.
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

silmeth

Re: Proszę sprawdzić ten tłumaczenie

Postby silmeth » 2011-03-17, 15:50

You translated from Polish to English, or from English to Polish? If the second one, everything's OK (well, "będzie ją bronić w październiku" IMO would sound more natural, without repeating "praca magisterska", but whatever). If first one is the case:

I'm not sure about semantics of English words, but I believe "classes" or "course" would be better here, instead of "school" ;-).

And Malgosia not necessarily 'is writing [master's] thesis at the moment', but 'she writes it', 'she is in the middle of finishing it'.

But you probably understood everything well ;-).

And one additional note: "to tłumaczenie", not "ten tłumaczenie" (about name of the topic).
Last edited by silmeth on 2011-03-17, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
polszczyzna jest moją mową ojczystą (pl), Is í Gaelainn na Mumhan atá á foghlaim agam (ga) ((ga-M)), mám, myslím, dobrou znalost češtiny, rozumím a něco mluvím (cs), Jeg lærer meg bokmål på Duolingo (no-nb) (og eg ville lære nynorsk ein gong (no-nn))

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-03-17, 15:55

Perhaps it was a literal translation or something. Michael's a native English speaker, but that sentence sounds very peculiar.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2011-03-18, 3:52

I should have clarified that: It was Polish to English. You probably ask, how am I able to convert Polish speech to writing? I don't even know, and my godmother is always in awe whenever I manage to do it; Oh Boże, on także pisze po polsku! O kreskowane, wszystko! :blush: I had to use a dictionary for some words though, I must admit :P But I guess this marks the start of a lifetime full of opportunities with the Polish language for me, and I obviously have an innate knack for it, that will only improve :)

This will be my home thread for all Polish questions I have from now on.
American English (en-us) Neapolitan from Molise (nap) N Italian (it) B2 Spanish (es) Portuguese (pt) French (fr) Greek (el) Albanian (sq) B1 Polish (pl) Romanian (ro) A2 Azerbaijani (az) Turkish (tr) Old English (en_old) A1

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-03-18, 3:59

Polish is rather phonetic, so that is probably why.

Cosi

Postby Cosi » 2011-03-18, 10:06

Michael wrote:Oh Boże, on także pisze po polsku! O kreskowane, wszystko!

:D

Trzymam kciuki! (I'm keeping my fingers crossed)

Polonus

Postby Polonus » 2011-03-20, 20:29

silmeth wrote:
And one additional note: "to tłumaczenie", not "ten tłumaczenie" (about name of the topic).

I guess it's easier for learners of Polish to memorize the fact that any word with the suffix -enie is always neuter. Thus, to mówienie, to tłumaczenie, to pisanie, to czytanie etc.

Milya0

Postby Milya0 » 2011-03-21, 9:01

Polonus wrote:I guess it's easier for learners of Polish to memorize the fact that any word with the suffix -enie is always neuter.

As is almost every word ending with -o, -e, -ę, -um. ;)
Qroo₃₁ kaa₄ cro₂ kraa₃ kaa₄ qo₄₁ cra₄₁ ka₄ qoo₄₂ krá₄₂.

Polonus

Postby Polonus » 2011-03-21, 10:55

Milya0 wrote:As is almost every word ending with -o, -e, -ę, -um. ;)

Very much so. With the exception of TEN książe (E)! Nulla regula sine exeptione. Polish is easy. :D

Let alone; TEN tłum. Ending -um. (I do feel sorry for the foreigners) :)

Milya0

Postby Milya0 » 2011-03-22, 14:12

Polonus wrote:Very much so. With the exception of TEN książe (E)!

Ok, but it has semantic cause I think. Książę has also declension paradigm similar to neuter paradigm (rather than masculine).

NA. książę m, cielę n, mąż m
GA. księcia, cielęcia, męża
D. księciu, cielęciu, mężowi
I. księciem, cielęciem, mężem
L. księciu, cielęciu, mężu
plural
NA. książęta, cielęta, mężowie
GA. książąt, cieląt, mężów
D. książętom, cielętom, mężom
I. książętami, cielętami, mężami
L. książętach, cielętach, mężach

Michael

Re: Proszę sprawdzić to tłumaczenie

Postby Michael » 2011-03-26, 8:29

Thank you so much for those declensions!

Milya0

Postby Milya0 » 2011-03-26, 16:55

There is also vocative - for "książę" and neuter nouns it has the same form as nominative; for masculine nouns it has "-e" or "-u" ending. Vocative of "mąż" is "mężu".

pittmirg

Postby pittmirg » 2011-03-26, 21:29

Polonus wrote:Let alone; TEN tłum. Ending -um. (I do feel sorry for the foreigners)

Well, since the neuters in -um are all Latinate vocabulary, album is a "worse" exception.

Milya0 wrote:for masculine nouns it has "-e" or "-u" ending.

Or -o, for nouns ending in -a in the nominative; and deadjectival ones have Voc = Nom.
Śnieg, zawierucha w nas

Polonus

Postby Polonus » 2011-03-28, 18:44

Now I think you/we have done our best to dissuade foreigners from learning Polish.

"Nie taki diabeł straszny jak go malują" - let them cope with the translation by themselves. :D

Michael

Postby Michael » 2011-05-15, 8:52

I have another question. I'm hearing what are perhaps conjugated pronouns more often than I thought I would. From what I read, this phenomenon was supposedly archaic, but I hear things like tyś jest/był more than their standard counterparts, which would be ty jesteś/byłeś in this case. Could I perhaps get the full scoop on this confusing phenomenon? Dzięki :)

Polonus wrote:Now I think you/we have done our best to dissuade foreigners from learning Polish.

"Nie taki diabeł straszny jak go malują" - let them cope with the translation by themselves. :D
I could be learning Lithuanian instead, ya know.. But Polish is my true love. Just remember that :wink:

Polonus

Postby Polonus » 2011-05-15, 13:24

Michael wrote:I have another question. I'm hearing what are perhaps conjugated pronouns more often than I thought I would. From what I read, this phenomenon was supposedly archaic, but I hear things like tyś jest/był more than their standard counterparts, which would be ty jesteś/byłeś in this case. Could I perhaps get the full scoop on this confusing phenomenon? Dzięki :)

This is a peculiar feature of Polish. I am positively astonished that went that far. Congratulations.

Ty jesteś = tyś jest. The suffix gets disattached from jest and is placed right after ty. Likewise;

Myśmy przyszli < przyszliśmy,
Byście chcieli < chcielibyście,
Toś widział < to widziałeś,
Tom zobaczył < zobaczyłem,
Byś widział < widziałbyś,

Yes, it is a little bit archaic but still in use, quite correct, and contains a certain flavour of Polishness. I like it. To master it for a foreigner is an ... upper shelf of Polish super proficiency.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2011-06-03, 18:09

Random. So I was reviewing some vocabulary flash cards last night, and this just dawned upon me:
doświadczony=experienced, doświadczenie=experience BUT poświadczony=authenticated :lol:

Milya0

Postby Milya0 » 2011-06-04, 17:48

:D They are connected.

świadek - witness
świadczyć - to witness

And then derivation:

doświadczyć - to experience
poświadczyć - to certify

Michael

Re: Michałek - Moje pytania o języku polskim

Postby Michael » 2013-12-19, 21:47

Powinienem ocucić ten wątek, po tylim czasu nie ucząc języka polskiego. Dla następnego Total Annihilation Challenge postanowiłem studiować dwa języki: język polski i język grecki klasyczny. Cieszę się dużo, że jeszcze raz studiuję język polski, po tej dużej nieobecności dwóch lat! :)

Повиненэм оцутить тэн вѫтэк, по тылим часу не учѫц ѩзыка польскего. Для настѧпнэго Total Annihilation Challenge постановнлэм студъёвать два ѩзыки: ѩзык польски и ѩзык грэцки класычны. Тешѧ сѩ дужо, же еще раз студъюѩ ѩзык рольски, по тэй дужей необэцностн двух лат! :)

Proszę wybaczcie mię! Miałem dużą ochotę na przypisać też po cyrylicą pisanie! :lol:

pittmirg

Re: Michałek - Moje pytania o języku polskim

Postby pittmirg » 2013-12-21, 16:11

Witaj ponownie!

Aóristos wrote:Powinienem ocucić ten wątek,

Lepiej brzmi „wskrzesić”, „odnowić” albo coś.

po tylim czasu nie ucząc języka polskiego.

po tak długim zaniechaniu nauki polskiego / po tak długim porzuceniu nauki polskiego / po tym, jak nie uczyłem się polskiego przez tyle czasu

Dla następnego Total Annihilation Challenge postanowiłem studiować dwa języki: język polski i język grecki klasyczny. Cieszę się bardzo, że jeszcze raz studiuję język polski,

Polski czasownik studiować ma bardziej ograniczone zastosowanie niż angielski study. Stosuje się go, gdy ktoś studiuje coś na uczelni (np. jest studentem filologii) albo też, jeżeli ktoś zapoznaje się z czymś bardzo szczegółowo i dogłębnie. Prędzej powiedziałbym np. „poznać dwa języki”, „uczę się języka polskiego”.

po tej dużej nieobecności dwóch lat! :)

po tej dużej dwuletniej nieobecności (na tym podforum) (chyba że miałeś na myśli: po tej dużej dwuletniej przerwie).

Повиненэм оцутить тэн вѫтэк, по тылим часу не учѫц ѩзыка польскего. Для настѧпнэго Total Annihilation Challenge постановнлэм студъёвать два ѩзыки: ѩзык польски и ѩзык грэцки класычны. Тешѧ сѩ дужо, же еще раз студъюѩ ѩзык рольски, по тэй дужей необэцностн двух лат! :)

Rolski? Poza tym nie będę komentował, bo każdy polski „zapaleniec pismowy” nienawidzi cyrylizacji stworzonych przez inne osoby.

Proszę, wybaczcie mi! Miałem dużą ochotę na pisanie cyrylicą! :lol:
Śnieg, zawierucha w nas

Return to “Polish (Polski)”