About the origins of Basque

Zoroa
About the origins of Basque

Postby Zoroa » 2005-10-03, 8:35

This text sums up the research about Basque. It's very interesting, but it's in French. If someone has trouble reading it, I'll be glad to sum it up !

Zoroa ;)
Deviens qui tu es !
Nietzsche "Ainsi parlait Zarathoustra"

skye

Postby skye » 2005-10-03, 11:01

I would appreciate it if you did. Thank you.

Oleksij

Postby Oleksij » 2005-10-15, 19:12

As far as I know, Basque had originated from Old Georgian (!). The settlers from Georgia brought it there a long long long time ago.
Moja ulica murem podzielona - świeci neonami prawa strona, lewa strona cała wygaszona, zza zasłony obserwuję obie strony.
Youtube Channel

skye

Postby skye » 2005-10-16, 16:29

I have been reading recently on another site that there are many theories which try to explain the origins of Basque, but none of these theories has been confirmed as the only valid theory so far.

We were taught that it's a descendant of a ?neolithic? language which was spoken in Europe before the arrival of Indo-European languages (I'm not quite sure if I wrote the right historical period.)

From all I've read and heard so far I think that there is no "one and only" theory about the origins of Basque at the moment. Maybe there's something more in Zoroa's article, but he hasn't summed it up yet, so I don't know.

senatortombstone

Postby senatortombstone » 2006-03-25, 20:13

Didn't Basque evolve from the language dubbed by Romans as "Aquitanian?"

I have read that there are no known Aquitanian texts in existence, but there Latin texts written by Aquitanian speakers and that these texts sometimes refer to Aquitanian personal and place names. These names allegedly are nearly identical in some instances to modern Basque.

pasalupo

Postby pasalupo » 2006-03-26, 11:05

A bit off-topic. I read a sci-fi story many years ago. I am not sure if the writer was Spanish or Basque. They wanted to find out the roots of Basque and embarked on a time travel, but the travel back didn't work out. Does someone remember this story. I have mislaid the reference, :(
Gentles do not reprehend.

pasalupo

Postby pasalupo » 2006-04-03, 14:37

Just in case somebody should be interested. The story I mentioned was written by Magdalena Araceli Moujan Otaño and the title : Gu ta gutarrak.

Would this be correct Basque? Aldiarem zentzunaz euskotarra naiz :?:

Zoroa

Postby Zoroa » 2006-04-03, 15:39

Thx for the books. The name means "We and our counterparts".

I do not understand the first part of your sentence.

I think you wanted to write ... zentzuaz euskatorra naiz (I am a Basque country inhabitant in the sense of...). Aldiarem doesn't sound very Basque. Aldiaren would do more, but I do not understand what it would do here... Do you have the original meaning ?

Zoroa ;)
Deviens qui tu es !

pasalupo

Postby pasalupo » 2006-04-03, 15:49

Oops :oops: - here is someone who cannot type properly. It was "Aldiaren" indeed and it is the motto of the tale I mentioned. It is translated as "I am a Basque and have a sense of humour". I was just interested if the text uses proper Basque.

chocky

Re: About the origins of Basque

Postby chocky » 2006-04-03, 16:16

Zoroa wrote:This text sums up the research about Basque. It's very interesting, but it's in French. If someone has trouble reading it, I'll be glad to sum it up !

Zoroa ;)

Ça va Zoroa.
Je suis espagnol et je veux savoir ton opinion sur l'origine du Basque. Parce que dans le text que je lu il y a beacoup des hypothèses.Avec quelle thèse es tu plus d'accord.Et merci beaucoup par ta réponse
Kandinsky

Zoroa

Postby Zoroa » 2006-04-03, 17:12

Oops - here is someone who cannot type properly. It was "Aldiaren" indeed and it is the motto of the tale I mentioned. It is translated as "I am a Basque and have a sense of humour". I was just interested if the text uses proper Basque.

Well, it doesn't sound right to me, although the construction is 100% OK. A basque would call himself euskaldun, and sense of humour is "umore", aldi meaning "time, period, interval, etc...".

Zoroa ;)
Deviens qui tu es !

theinterpreter87

Yes!!!!!!!!!

Postby theinterpreter87 » 2006-04-20, 8:03

thank god someone agknowledges the basque people on this website. i am no basque myself, but i am very very interested in everything about it. :D that was the first thing that i looked for when i discovered this site in germany. sadly, it let me down, i think someone here who knows basque should start a branch of unilang and start teaching basque. it's hard to get recognition of a people, but atleast you wold be doing what you could!

Zoroa

Postby Zoroa » 2006-04-20, 8:12

Ça va Zoroa.
Je suis espagnol et je veux savoir ton opinion sur l'origine du Basque. Parce que dans le text que je lu il y a beacoup des hypothèses.Avec quelle thèse es tu plus d'accord.Et merci beaucoup par ta réponse

Salut Chocky. Je ne suis pas linguiste, alors je dois seulement prendre ses hypothèses comme un peu toutes vraies. Ce qui est sur, c'est que le Basque descent de l'Aquitain, ce qui est moins sur c'est sa relation avec l'Ibère.

Zoroa ;)
Deviens qui tu es !

Zoroa

Postby Zoroa » 2006-04-20, 8:14

thank god someone agknowledges the basque people on this website. i am no basque myself, but i am very very interested in everything about it. that was the first thing that i looked for when i discovered this site in germany. sadly, it let me down, i think someone here who knows basque should start a branch of unilang and start teaching basque. it's hard to get recognition of a people, but atleast you wold be doing what you could!

Hi ! I can start a course, but I cannot regularly post something in it. But if you really want it, I'll do it, promise, but it will more work on a question answer basis if I don't have time to write much on it.

Zoroa
Deviens qui tu es !

theinterpreter87

great!

Postby theinterpreter87 » 2006-04-21, 5:52

dude that'd be so awesome!!!!!! i'm aching to see what it's going to be like!!! where are you going to start your site?

Zoroa

Postby Zoroa » 2006-04-21, 8:50

I'll open a thread here.
Deviens qui tu es !

chocky

hi

Postby chocky » 2006-05-05, 16:53

Zoroa wrote:
Oops - here is someone who cannot type properly. It was "Aldiaren" indeed and it is the motto of the tale I mentioned. It is translated as "I am a Basque and have a sense of humour". I was just interested if the text uses proper Basque.

Well, it doesn't sound right to me, although the construction is 100% OK. A basque would call himself euskaldun, and sense of humour is "umore", aldi meaning "time, period, interval, etc...".

Zoroa ;)

Merci pour ta reponse.

En Unilang El Euskera no es un idioma extraño como en España,verdad??? Porque aquí hay muchos idiomas :lol:
Kandinsky

yerbamatt

Postby yerbamatt » 2007-06-30, 16:00

Below quite interesting and improbable, some can say a crazy hypothesis about origins of the Basque people:

http://www.aoi.com.au/bcw/neanderbasque.htm

I do hope nobody will get offended here(I'm not the author of the article) - take all this, please, with a grain of salt...

Return to “Basque (Euskara)”