The Basque word "jabe"

Lex1988Spain
The Basque word "jabe"

Postby Lex1988Spain » 2011-08-28, 19:53

Yesterday i heard some kids singing a Basque Christian song at church which said "zu nire jabe" (You my owner, God) so i was thinking about the Basque word "jabe" (owner, landlord) and i wonder if this word is related somehow, to the Hebrew word "Javhe" (God). Do you know something about it?

Prosper_Youplaboum

Re: The Basque word "jabe"

Postby Prosper_Youplaboum » 2011-08-28, 21:04

My Basque-French dictionary says "jabe = propriétaire, maître" (owner, master - I guess you've understood anyway), with no reference to God.
And my etymological dictionary of Basque says :

jaun (c.), xaun (S), jain (LN Z R), jein (R), jin (Z R) n. ‘lord’, TS ‘gentleman’, ‘sir’,
‘mister’. CF jaur-. 14th cent.
OUO. Variants by P56, P69, P48, P47. CF by W10. The word has a strange form for a
noun, and it is very likely the participle of a lost verb, meaning something like ‘exalted’.
See the discussion under andere ‘lady’.
jabe (**), jaube (old B, R&S 54, 286 **) n. ****{‘owner’ Aul.}
Agur Xibe’ua,
Bazter güzietako xokho’ik eijerrena,
Agur sor lekhia,
Zu’i ditit ene ametsik goxuenak.

arabarra
Country:CHSwitzerland (Schweiz / Suisse / Svizzera / Svizra)

Re: The Basque word "jabe"

Postby arabarra » 2011-09-11, 18:30

well, I'm afraid I cannot give any contribution about the ethimology of "jaun" and "jabe" (beyond the apparent common root "ja-")... but I cannot avoid to add that "jaun ta jabe' is a nice basque expression... and also a nice old basque TV show

http://www.eitb.tv/es/#/video/931327571001

... yes, off topic, but I was so happy to see that one of my favorite basque shows was available online :D ...

Return to “Basque (Euskara)”