Esperanto Class - Esperanta Klaso

Strigo
Esperanto Class - Esperanta Klaso

Postby Strigo » 2003-01-08, 20:02

Hello! And welcome to my Esperanto Class! I’m Carlos
Saluton! Kaj Bonvenon al mia Esperanta Klaso! Mi estas Carlos

This is a course for begineers, who doesn't know a word in this International Language, and who wants to know it. :roll:

Let's start.... What is Esperanto?

Esperanto is a language thought up to facilitate the comunication between different cultures, made by a Polish Doctor named Ludwig Zamenhof, in 1887. He lived in a town named Bialystok, in which a lot of inmigrants lived. So, someone who wanted to talk with the whole town had to master German, Yiddish, Polish, English, French, Russian, and more. So, he began to create a language based on romanic, germanic and baltic languages, named ESPERANTO (Who's got Hope).
A famous linguist described Esperanto as :"a language who possess italian's phonetic beauty, English's succint grammar, Spanish's Richness, German's formative structure and French's Expresivity.
In fact, is a suitable language for comunication.
Now, let's write some things in this beautiful language :
"Simpla, fleksebla, belsona, vere internacia en siaj elementoj la lingvo esperanto prezentas al la mondo civilizita, la sole veran solvon de lingvo internacia".(Simple, flexible, of beautiful sound, really international in their elements, Esperanto language presents to the civilized world, the unique true solution of an international language).

Well, this was the introduction, now, let's learn!
I'm going to explain now my teaching's method :

1.- Read the lesson completely.
2.- Read the excersises I'll give.
3.- Do the excersises and send them as a forum message.

Thus, I'll explain all your mistakes. Sorry if my English isn't very well. :o

**************** Lesson one - Leciono unu *********************

I. The pronunciation / La prononco

In Esperanto, each letter has its own sound and pronunciation ALWAYS.
The alphabet consists of 28 letters (5 vowels and 23 consonants).

ABCĈDEFGĜHĤIJĴKLMNOPRSŜTUŬVZ

To spell the consonants, you must pronounce each sound with an "o" sound.

Here is the pronunciation of each vowel :

A : like u in custody.
E : like e in they
I : like i in machine.
O : like o in control.
U : like u in rule.
Ŭ : It's like a mix of U and O. In Spanish, the dipthong Eu in Europa.

J and Ŭ works as dipthongs :

PruJno / Frost = pruJ-no
AŬgusto /August = AŬ-gusto

Now, the consonants :

C : like TS in Pittsburg, the german Z.
Ĉ : like Ch in Championship.
D : like TH in That.
G : always as G in Go.
Ĝ : like G in George, General. Catalan Tg in Viatge.
Ĥ : it's a strong pronunciation, like in the beginning of the throat. Spanish j in Alejandro and jota.
J : pronounced as a y.
Ĵ : like s in usual.
R : Spanish R in murmurar, soft R. It's not English R.
Ŝ : Sh in shower
T : T in tea, even though it is softer.

The other ones have the same pronunciation as English.

Wow! A long explanation, but I hope you could understand it! 8)

II. Personal Pronouns / Personalaj Pronomoj

Singular

Mi = I
Vi = You
Li = He
Ŝi = She
Ĝi = It

Plural

Ni = We
Vi = You
Ili = They (plural for he, she and it)

Specials

Oni = One, they, people (Indefinite personal pronoun, meaning “people, some people, somebody unknown”, used when you don’t want to or cannot say who was involved.

Si = Self (Third person reflexive pronoun (both singular and plural). Refers back to the
SUBJECT of the sentence. SI cannot be the subject.

III. The Verbs / La Verboj

The verbs end in –i . The past tense ends in –is , The present tense in –as, and the future tense in –os . This is ALWAYS.

Now, two important verbs : povi kaj esti (can and to be)

Mi estas / Mi povas = I am / I can
Li estos / Li povos = He will / He will be able to
Ni estis / Ni povis = We were / We could
Oni estas / Oni povas = They, someone is/are / can

Can you understand it? If you can’t, just write me a forum message.

There are two tenses I forgot :

Imperative –u , and subjuntive –us.

ManĜu ! = Eat!
Mi estus instruisto = I’d be teacher.

IV. Adjetives / Adjektivoj

The adjetives ALWAYS end in –a.

Bela = Beautiful
Varma = Hot
Sana = Healthy

And here’s the order :

Mia patrino estas tre bela = My mom’s very beautiful

And it’s first than the subject in these case :

The green elephant.
La verda elefanto.

Understood??

Nouns end in –o : AŬto , Zoo , Filo , Biskvito

V. Plural form

The plural is very easy, it ends with a –j .

The car / La aŬto = The car / La aŬtoj

The modern car / La moderna aŬto = The modern cars / La modernaj aŬtoj.

VI. The Possesive Pronouns / La posesivoj pronomoj.

Just adding an –a in the personal pronoun. If it’s a plural one, just add a –j.

Mia = My, mine Mia(j) trajno(j) / My train(s)
Via = Your, yours Via(j) trajno(j) / Your train(s)
Lia = His
Þia = Her, hers AND THE SAME FOR THE REST :)
Ĝia = Its
Nia = Our, ours

Via = your, yours
Ilia = Their, theirs.

VII . The Articles / La artikoloj

Esperanto hasn’t an indefinite article, and there’s only the article La, which is equivalent to The.

La pano = The bread
Pano = a bread
Panoj = breads

Sentences :

My friends are your friends.
Mia amikoj estas viaj amikoj.

The bread is hot.
La pano estas varma.

A car is fast.
AŬto estas rapida.

Vocabulary / Vortaro : The Family – La Familio

Father/Mather : Patro/Patrino
Grandfather/Grandmother : Avo/Avino
Brother/Sister : Frato/Fratino
Son/Daughter : Filo/Filino
Uncle/Aunt : Onkelo/Onkelino
Brother-in-law/Sister-in-law : Bofrato/Bofratino
Father-in-law/Mother-in-law : Bopatro/Bopatrino
Cousin : Kuzo (male) /Kuzino (female)
Nephew/Niece : Nevo/Nevino

As you relized, the female form ends in –ino and male in –o. But this will be explained in the next lesson if you didn’t understand.

Things / Aferoj

Flower : Floro
Sun : Suno
Chocolate : Ĉokolado
Water : Akvo

Excercises / Ekzercoj

Translate this sentences in ESPERANTO : (Send me your answers in a forum message)

a)The water is hot
b)She is my mother-in-law
c)The train is fast
d) My nieces are your friends
e) The Class is good
f) Someone is your friend

Bye! C’ ya in the next class :!:
Strigo/Carlos.

:)

[/b]
Aquí es donde traduzco diariamente música israelí del hebreo al español

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

darkina

Postby darkina » 2003-01-08, 20:22

Sounds interesting, despite being an artificial stuff... But...is it REALLY so easy, or have i misunderstood soemthing? :shock: Anywa, im printing this page to look at it more carefully, i'll try and make the little exercise if i have time... So wait for my post (hopefully) :)
век живи, век учись, а дураком помрешь

Pleasures remain, so does the pain

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2003-01-08, 23:43

Darkroom, it's really that easy. I learned the basics in a month or so. Too bad that it isn't really very useful if you don't know any other esperantists..

Darkroom, vere estas tiel facila. Mi lernis la bazon en proksimume unu monato. Domagxe ke ne estas tre utila se oni ne konas aliajn esperantistojn..

Axystos.
Native: Nederlands; C2: Deutsch; C1: English;
B1: русский, français, 日本語;
A2: norsk, svenska; A1: português, italiano, español, čeština, polski

darkina

Postby darkina » 2003-01-09, 11:37

Yes, i was exactly wondering last night while re-reading strigo's lesson and doing the little exercise (instead of studying for my exams...uhmm i couldnt wait...): i've never been particularly interested in this language because of what axy said: no native speakers...i guess no evolution as well... Just this lesson was so easy that i thought i could give it a try... seems to be learning some kind of spanish ;)

Anyway, let's try: these are my answers to the exercise:

a) La akvo estas varma
b) Si (i mean the SHi thing...) estas mia bopatrina
c) La trajno estas rapida
d) Miaj nevinoj estas viaj amikoj (??? amikaj? amikoinoj???)
e) La leciono (???) estas bela (???)
f) Oni estas via amiko

Questions:
-is ONI singular or plural? Or does it depend on the meaning? (they/someone, etc...)
-Strigo, when you wrote this:
VI. The Possesive Pronouns / La posesivoj pronomoj.

Just adding an –a in the personal pronoun. If it’s a plural one, just add a –j.
etc...

did you mean, possessive pronouns AND adjectives?

Ok...it feels easy but strange... :roll: 8)

ekalin

Postby ekalin » 2003-01-09, 12:30

Darkroom wrote:no native speakers...

Yes, there are native speakers of Esperanto! They are the children of people who speak Esperanto and spoke it to their children, and thus they've learneat it as a mother tongue.

Darkroom wrote:i guess no evolution as well...

Of course it changes. New words are created when needed (sometimes even when not needed), they way of using words change, ways of expressing something change...

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2003-01-09, 13:50

ekalin wrote:
Darkroom wrote:no native speakers...

Yes, there are native speakers of Esperanto! They are the children of people who speak Esperanto and spoke it to their children, and thus they've learnt it as a mother tongue.

Reminds me of a discussion I once had with my mother. She felt pity with the "poor children" who have Esperanto as their mother language, and thought such parents must be crazy. :shock: I tried to convince her of the reasons (and advantages) of speaking Esperanto to a child...

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-01-09, 15:48

Well, let's not forget that native speakers of Esperanto are bilingual!

At least all the cases I've read were this way. It made no sense, if the child were, for instance, German, that he could speak Esperanto, but not German :shock:

I also read about this Brazilian kid whose father had only talked to him in Esperanto the whole life. But his mother talked to him in Portuguese, naturally. I don't think there are any kids whose native languages is just Esperanto...
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

ekalin

Postby ekalin » 2003-01-09, 17:21

Saaropean wrote:Reminds me of a discussion I once had with my mother. She felt pity with the "poor children" who have Esperanto as their mother language, and thought such parents must be crazy. :shock: I tried to convince her of the reasons (and advantages) of speaking Esperanto to a child...

Well, sometimes it is a necessity: suppose a korean esperantist meets a hungarian she-esperantist in a Universal Congress, and they end up marrying and having kids. Supposing the korean speaks no hungarian and the hungarian speaks no korean, they would need to comunicate in Esperanto (at least until they learn another language), and thus the kids would learn Esperanto as a mother tongue.

Luis wrote:Well, let's not forget that native speakers of Esperanto are bilingual!

At least all the cases I've read were this way. It made no sense, if the child were, for instance, German, that he could speak Esperanto, but not German icon_eek.gif

I also read about this Brazilian kid whose father had only talked to him in Esperanto the whole life. But his mother talked to him in Portuguese, naturally. I don't think there are any kids whose native languages is just Esperanto...

Luis is right. The above kid would have as native languages Esperanto and Hungarian and/or Korean. As far as I know, there are indeed no children (or adults) that speak only Esperanto.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2003-01-09, 17:49

Luis wrote:Well, let's not forget that native speakers of Esperanto are bilingual!

At least all the cases I've read were this way. It made no sense, if the child were, for instance, German, that he could speak Esperanto, but not German :shock:

Excactly. I even happen to know someone who speaks Esperanto as a native language. But Esperanto isn't his only native language, his other one is German.

Strigo

Darkroom

Postby Strigo » 2003-01-09, 20:39

Hi! I see you did the excersices, that's great, but remember, this class is for someone who wants to learn it, not a "try", but if you like, it's great too. It's good to learn something new.

Yes, as many UNILANGs said, there are ESperanto native speakers, but all of them are bilingual. That's because Esperanto hasn't a nation, or something like that, it's just used to a global comunication, and I know it's less important than Russian, English, Spanish, or less-spoken-languages, as Papiamento, Afrikaans, and more.

As about the excersices :

La akvo estas varma. Correct! :D
Shi estas mia bopatrina. Correct! :D
La trajno estas rapida. Correct! :D
Miaj nervinoj estas viaj amikoj. Not amikaj or amikoinoj, the -ino is female, and -o is male, so Trajn is the root and -o is male. -ino's got the ending -o which is noun's form. Understood? , But the sentence was good! :)
La leciono estas bela (bona ne bela), bela is beautiful. :(
Oni estas via amiko. Correct! :D

ONI is plural and singular, it could mean : they, someone, et cetera.
As about the last question, yes I meant adjetives too.

I hope I could resolve all your doubts.

Strigo

[flag]cl[/flag] native; [flag]en[/flag] fluent; [flag]il[/flag] lower advanced ; [flag]pt-BR[/flag] read fluently, understand well, speak not so badly (specially after some Itaipava); recently focusing on [flag]sv[/flag][flag]ar[/flag] and I promised myself to finish my [flag]ru[/flag] New Penguin Russian Course: A Complete Course for Beginners in less than a month (12/oct/2013). Wants to wake up one day speaking [flag]ka[/flag][flag]lt[/flag] and any Turkic language.

darkina

Postby darkina » 2003-01-09, 20:43

Well yes...that's what i meant... Noone who speaks it as the only language, in a place where that langauge is spoken...
And im sure new words get created etc, but i dont think it's a 'real' evolution, like the one of a language where the young people use abbreviations of every word, while the old dont understand that...etc...Well maybe it happens, but it's probably different than any other case...(sudden question: are there any books, eg novels, originally written in esperanto? i guess there are...)

Basically, i'm really not convinced, i'm not a fan of this artificial stuff. But it seems easy and rather nice to learn, and it's culture anyway...But i'm not sure i can believe in its worth...

Strigo

Darkroom

Postby Strigo » 2003-01-09, 20:49

Hi!

Yes, there are many books which were written ORIGINALLY in Esperanto, not translated. I don't know the names now, but there are a lot on the Internet.

Well, Esperanto is easy, but that was Zamenhof's idea.
It had to be easy, because it had to be comunicative..... :D

Well, Bye!
The nest lesson will be in three days or more, I'm waiting for more pupils.

darkina

Postby darkina » 2003-01-09, 21:13

oh i saw now strigo's post.

Miaj nervinoj estas viaj amikoj. Not amikaj or amikoinoj, the -ino is female, and -o is male, so Trajn is the root and -o is male. -ino's got the ending -o which is noun's form. Understood? , But the sentence was good!

My doubt was that the word 'friends' had to be female in that sentence, so how do i say 'female friend'? (you know, like italian 'amica', spanish 'amiga' etc...) I thought it was amikoinoj.... Or is it like English, where 'friend' can be either male or female?

:) Anyway, i understand your point about learning, not 'giving a try', but i've already said that, sadly, i can't usually learn much in this way, i'd need real school lesson etc... I consider this like something i like to do in my free time, when i have some free time, and if it makes me learn soemthing that's ok, but i'd prefer not to have to consider it a school, some kind of 'i have to'-thing. I hope you can understand that i like to do this wehn i enjoy it, i dont like to take it too seriously. Of course this is my point of view and i appreciate your effort in teaching, but personally i dotn want to take it too seriously. I'll follow the lessons if i can, but not like i had to learn it at any cost...
Sorry i didnt want to seem nasty, just i thought i'd made clear the value this thing has to me. :)
(oh and btw...i think i said 'try' because i had tried to make the exercise...didnt know about the result of it yet....;)

Junesun

Postby Junesun » 2003-01-09, 21:20

Darkroom, Esperanto "oni" works just like Italian "uno" or French "on".
Oni estas via amiko = Uno è il tuo amico (or "si è il tuo amico")
Oni ne parolas pri politiko = Uno non parla di politica (or "non si parla di politica")

I personally believe that Esperanto is useful because it has enabled me to get to know many interesting people from around the world. With some of them, I have no other language in common. Esperanto is a good way to meet interesting people not just because of the international events but also because Esperantists tend to be friendly, cosmopolite people - I guess that e. g. racists wouldn't want to learn the language of international friendship.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-01-09, 21:54

I started learning Esperanto when I was about 14 or so and I was really into it... :) - I even met a buch of people from the Portuguese Esperanto Youth.

What happened is that, with time, I started not caring too much about it and changing my mind to 'natural languages'. But so many years have passed now that I'm afraid I have forgotten all of it...

I'm still the founder of the #esperanto channel on the Portuguese IRC Network and it usually gets a lot of people there at night. I used to go there too, but not anymore. And the people I convinced to learn Esperanto back then, speak it now much better than I :wink:

I wonder what happened and if I wish to give it a try again...

P.S. Has anyone here used the Pasporta Servo program?
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

ekalin

Re: Darkroom

Postby ekalin » 2003-01-09, 23:26

Strigo wrote:Shi estas mia bopatrina. Correct! :D

Ne! Ĝxi estas malkorekta! Devas esti "Ŝi estas mia bopatrinO."

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2003-01-10, 9:44

Darkroom wrote:
Miaj nervinoj estas viaj amikoj. Not amikaj or amikoinoj, the -ino is female, and -o is male, so Trajn is the root and -o is male. -ino's got the ending -o which is noun's form. Understood? , But the sentence was good!

My doubt was that the word 'friends' had to be female in that sentence, so how do i say 'female friend'? (you know, like italian 'amica', spanish 'amiga' etc...) I thought it was amikoinoj.... Or is it like English, where 'friend' can be either male or female?

You were almost right with "amikoinoj". The male form (amico) is "amiko", the female form is "amikino" (amica). So you add the "ino" ending to the stem "amik" instead of the "o" ending.
Basically all nouns in Esperanto end in "o", so the female ending is actually "in" (as in German) followed by the noun ending "o".

Luis wrote:Has anyone here used the Pasporta Servo program?

What's that? Sounds kind of interesting. Can anyone tell me more about it?

ekalin

Postby ekalin » 2003-01-10, 10:31

Saaropean wrote:What's that? Sounds kind of interesting. Can anyone tell me more about it?

Sure we can. Here's info in German, in French and in English. And there are other languages too. :-)

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2003-01-10, 10:51

Thanks for link, I'm going to read that while writing some other posts in the UniLang Forum now. :wink:

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2003-01-10, 17:25

Pasporta servo estas interesega projekto... Mi persono ankoraŭ ne partoprenis se mi kredas ke en la futuro mi certe iam vizitos homojn de Pasporta Servo...
Language is the dress of thought -- Samuel Johnson
my homepage

Return to “Esperanto”