attitudinals in esperanto?

xBlackWolfx
attitudinals in esperanto?

Postby xBlackWolfx » 2010-09-27, 22:23

Additudinals (not sure how to write them) are a concept in another auxlang called 'lojban'. Simply they are (mostly) mono-syllabic words that allow you to convey your emotion. How do you do this in esperanto?

For example in english, we have 'wow' and 'ow' and if we're mad we have curse words. Isnt there anyway to convey similar ideas in esperanto?

Formiko

Re: attitudinals in esperanto?

Postby Formiko » 2010-09-27, 23:04

xBlackWolfx wrote:Additudinals (not sure how to write them) are a concept in another auxlang called 'lojban'. Simply they are (mostly) mono-syllabic words that allow you to convey your emotion. How do you do this in esperanto?

For example in english, we have 'wow' and 'ow' and if we're mad we have curse words. Isnt there anyway to convey similar ideas in esperanto?

They exist. I'm not sure if there is a list, but which ones do you want to know?

Wow is Ŭaŭ
and Ah, or Oh, or Ho!
Ouch is aj or
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

xBlackWolfx

Postby xBlackWolfx » 2010-09-28, 0:33

i would like to learn as many as i can.

linguaholic

Postby linguaholic » 2010-09-28, 12:25

Also, there are the affixes fi- and -acx- to express dislike or contempt.
native: Deutsch / advanced: English, Nederlands / intermediate: Esperanto / forgotten: Français / fighting my way through: עברית מקראית / dreaming of: Čeština, עברית / admiring from a safe distance: فارسی

Cosi

Postby Cosi » 2010-09-28, 14:40

And the most popular curse word to say in affect is fek'!. Guess what it means :)

xBlackWolfx

Postby xBlackWolfx » 2010-09-28, 15:16

linguaholic wrote:Also, there are the affixs fi- and -acx- to express dislike or contempt.

i know that, but is there anyway to specify that you like what the word is referring to?

Hallas

Postby Hallas » 2011-01-11, 4:50

Cosi wrote:And the most popular curse word to say in affect is fek'!. Guess what it means :)
What about "fiki"? Not quite sure how it would be conjugated. Also, it doesn't quite hold the same weight as just yelling "fuck" really loud. Not that that's something to be yelled out loud often in everyone's opinion.
Native: Image | Learning: Image Image | Interested In: Image
Feel free to correct any of my Esperanto/Indonesian mistakes
Ne hezitu korekti ĉiujn miajn Esperantajn erarojn
Koreksi sesuka lo apa saja kesalahan bahasa Indonesia gue

Cosi

Postby Cosi » 2011-01-11, 10:05

Hallas wrote:What about "fiki"? Not quite sure how it would be conjugated. Also, it doesn't quite hold the same weight as just yelling "fuck" really loud. Not that that's something to be yelled out loud often in everyone's opinion.

That's why "fek'!" acts as "fuck!" - only one syllable so it can be yelled out loud easily :)
The verb "fiki" might be used e.g. as "forfikiĝu!".

Hallas

Postby Hallas » 2011-01-11, 19:19

Cosi wrote:
Hallas wrote:What about "fiki"? Not quite sure how it would be conjugated. Also, it doesn't quite hold the same weight as just yelling "fuck" really loud. Not that that's something to be yelled out loud often in everyone's opinion.

That's why "fek'!" acts as "fuck!" - only one syllable so it can be yelled out loud easily :)
The verb "fiki" might be used e.g. as "forfikiĝu!".

I'm guessing "fikiĝu" means "get fucked!"? What does to "for" prefix do? Is that like "fuck off!"?
Native: Image | Learning: Image Image | Interested In: Image
Feel free to correct any of my Esperanto/Indonesian mistakes
Ne hezitu korekti ĉiujn miajn Esperantajn erarojn
Koreksi sesuka lo apa saja kesalahan bahasa Indonesia gue

Cosi

Postby Cosi » 2011-01-13, 20:05

Hallas wrote:What does to "for" prefix do? Is that like "fuck off!"?

Bingo :D

xBlackWolfx

Postby xBlackWolfx » 2011-01-13, 20:16

'fuck off' is a non-literal expression. someone not familiar with english wouldn't be able to make any sense of it.

think about it, fiki essentially means 'to have sex', specifically to be physically touching eachother, so how does affixing the word for 'away' actually produce a sensible word?

Cosi

Postby Cosi » 2011-01-13, 20:39

xBlackWolfx wrote:'fuck off' is a non-literal expression. someone not familiar with english wouldn't be able to make any sense of it.

Not really. In Polish there is a (swear) word "spierdalaj", that means "fuck off", but doesn't refer to sexual meaning of "fuck". It rather means something like very, very explicit "get off".

EDIT: Ok, I'm tired and I have problems with expressing myself clearly ;) I meant that the word "spierdalaj" is derivated from "pierdolić" - "to fuck", a word that has similar meanings (not only sexual).

johnH

Postby johnH » 2011-03-25, 11:47

Just wonderful I’ll be spending all my time wrapping my head around ungood, when everything else is the same... Gah~~ I’ll delay this till i’m in mood for such a hypocritical languages... *mumbles*

Narbleh

Postby Narbleh » 2011-06-11, 22:39

johnH wrote:Just wonderful I’ll be spending all my time wrapping my head around ungood, when everything else is the same... Gah~~ I’ll delay this till i’m in mood for such a hypocritical languages... *mumbles*

I don't follow what you mean here.

If you're referring to the word malbona, it doesn't mean ungood. That would be nebona. The prefix mal- is a placeholder that means "the opposite of". It works as a guidepost to point to an idea, which is how language works in general. It's a collection of references to the real and abstract world. How different languages put together these references varies.

I think it's silly to reject Esperanto as a whole because it uses affixes in a way you're not used to.
[flag=]en-us[/flag][flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]eo[/flag][flag=]nl[/flag]Image

Return to “Esperanto”