esperanto pronunciation

kman1
esperanto pronunciation

Postby kman1 » 2009-04-17, 10:21

Hi all! I’ve created a podcast to help improve my language pronunciation and Esperanto is one of the languages that I’m trying to improve my pronunciation. Can someone review my Esperanto pronunciation and let me know if I’m pronouncing anything wrong or if everything is good to go. If you know any of the other languages feel free to comment and/or post corrections that I need to implement also. thanks!

Here is URL:
http://readingproficiency.mypodcast.com/index.html

'''

Re: esperanto pronunciation

Postby ''' » 2009-04-17, 16:12

ok, c is a /ts/ not /tS/ (sorry about the sampa) you pronounced ci as cxi. Not good. Unlike italian, c ang g are NOT palatalised into affricates before front vowels.
Your ti- combinations seem to do the same thing as well.
you also seem to have trouble with gx and jx. Gx is an affricate like Jem, while jx is a fricative like pleaSure. J is NEVER pronounced like pleaSure, always as Yes or Yellow.

the main problems are:
t being palatalised into a sx or cx sound
cx being pronounced as sx
c being palatalised into cx, or hardened into k. (it's ALWAYS a /ts/)
gx being pronounced as jx

I might suggest using circumflexes, they do help reading a bit. I'm not sure whether esperanto pronounces gn as siGNatory, or as miGNon, but from memory you were doing it right. All in all good, but you need to break the habit of pronouncing the words as though this were a real romance language. it just looks like one, and feels like one, (kinda), but sounds don't change based on the surrounding vowels.

However, as far as pronounciation goes, you're all set. Esperanto can take a pretty brutal beating pronounciation wise but yours is quite good.
26/♂/hetero/Hu/★☭/PRESCRIPTIVIST
(en)(hu) - native
(de)(fr)(fa) - intermediate

kman1

Re: esperanto pronunciation

Postby kman1 » 2009-04-17, 23:31

thank you, i'm going to keep practicing to improve what you listed above and i'll post here again when I make another Esperanto recording of myself. :)

Return to “Esperanto”