How to pronounce "uj"

Sean of the Dead
How to pronounce "uj"

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2008-10-17, 4:05

I haven't found anywhere how to pronounce words ending in "uj". Also, I'm guessing "-ej" is pronouced like the "a" sound in "bake", but I could be wrong. :P
Main focuses: [flag]kw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]
Sub focus: Plautdietsch
On my own: [flag]is[/flag]

Formiko

Re: How to pronounce "uj"

Postby Formiko » 2008-10-17, 5:34

sjheiss wrote:I haven't found anywhere how to pronounce words ending in "uj". Also, I'm guessing "-ej" is pronouced like the "a" sound in "bake", but I could be wrong. :P

I've heard 2 primary pronunciations.
1 is the one I think is the proper pronunciation and the other one is more popular.
We'll use the word ĉiuj as an example.
The proper way is like this: chee-ooy. (very close to chee-oy)
The more popular way is to pronounce it like cheewee.

Lately, I've been pronouncing it cheewee, because no one understands when I pronounce it cheeuy :(
Radio Verda pronounces it cheewee too! So this is another example of Esperanto being a living language...
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2008-10-17, 5:41

I think "chee-ooy" sounds better, but I guess if no one says it, I'll have to say "cheewee", even though it sounds childish to me. :D

Steli

Postby Steli » 2008-10-17, 18:22

Luckily there's no "ĉiŭi" so it shouldn't cause confusion. :) I shouldn't think non-English natives would pronounce it the same way though. I assume it's rather an English accent than a general pronounciation, but that's probably better answered by someone who actually has spoken Esperanto already. :wink:

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2008-10-17, 19:45

Steli wrote:Luckily there's no "ĉiŭi" so it shouldn't cause confusion. :) I shouldn't think non-English natives would pronounce it the same way though. I assume it's rather an English accent than a general pronounciation, but that's probably better answered by someone who actually has spoken Esperanto already. :wink:

You're right...it's only Americans who pronounce it as ĉiŭi, neusonanoj pronounce it the correct way, so Steli, I wouldn't get into the habit.
Ne kutimiĝu! :nope:
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

Narbleh

Postby Narbleh » 2008-10-18, 4:18

I also wouldn't advise the "wee" pronunciation. After all, the -j is a glide modifying "u" like in "aj" and "ej".
[flag=]en-us[/flag][flag=]fr[/flag][flag=]eo[/flag][flag=]nl[/flag]Image

Martinbr

Postby Martinbr » 2008-10-19, 13:55

To me the "wee" pronunciation sounds completely unusual, and I've never heard it before.

Shibo77

Postby Shibo77 » 2008-12-21, 18:41

How would -ioj be pronounced?

In my mind the proper way is, cxiuj is "chi-woy/chi-uoj", while had it been cxioj, it would be pronounced "chi-oy". But since there isn't a "cxioj" (is there?), I pronounce cxiuj as "chi-oy". The -uj sounding exactly as how I pronounce a plural suffix, "pomoj". When I later heard the "chi-wi" pronunciation, I thought that was the proper way rather than "chi-woy/chi-uoj" or "chi-oy", because otherwise I found it difficult to distinguish my -oj and -uj endings, and also I think "chi-woy/chi-uoj" would be spelt as "cxiuoj" in Esperanto.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2008-12-21, 19:27

Shibo77 wrote:How would -ioj be pronounced?

In my mind the proper way is, cxiuj is "chi-woy/chi-uoj", while had it been cxioj, it would be pronounced "chi-oy". But since there isn't a "cxioj" (is there?), I pronounce cxiuj as "chi-oy". The -uj sounding exactly as how I pronounce a plural suffix, "pomoj". When I later heard the "chi-wi" pronunciation, I thought that was the proper way rather than "chi-woy/chi-uoj" or "chi-oy", because otherwise I found it difficult to distinguish my -oj and -uj endings, and also I think "chi-woy/chi-uoj" would be spelt as "cxiuoj" in Esperanto.

-ioj should be [ioi] or [ijoi].
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Dov

Postby Dov » 2009-01-31, 5:17

I've heard chiuj pronounced chee-u-ee. But gliding from the u to the ee. "Uj" almost rhymes with the sui in "Woo pig sui"! If you can pronounce sui as almost a single syllable you will have it.

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2009-02-12, 0:19

Merlin Esperanto uses chee-wee, and they're Latin American. I heard it listening to their song "Por la mondo/For the world."
Merlin Esperante uzas ĉi-ŭi:n, kaj ili estas el Latinida Ameriko. Mi aŭdis jenon en ilia kanto "Por la mondo"
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2009-02-12, 0:22

No one really needs to post in here, I gave up learning Esperanto months ago and am never going back to it. ;)

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2009-02-12, 0:23

sjheiss wrote:No one really needs to post in here, I gave up learning Esperanto months ago and am never going back to it. ;)

Why? Kial?
In no particular order

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2009-02-12, 0:27

Because I've lost all interest in it, mostly because of my dislike for Romance languages, how few people speak it (2 million or so?), and because it seems so artificial. :P

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2009-02-12, 2:15

sjheiss wrote:Because I've lost all interest in it, mostly because of my dislike for Romance languages, how few people speak it (2 million or so?), and because it seems so artificial. :P

Lol, mi ekis lerni Esperanton ĉar mi volis scii kial neniu ŝatis ĝin. :P Nun mi tre ŝatas ĝin. Mi akordas ke Esperanto ne estas kiel lingvoj naturaj.
Lol, I started learning Esperanto because I wanted to know why no one liked it. :P Now I love it. I do agree that Esperanto is as good as natural languages.

linguaholic

Postby linguaholic » 2009-02-12, 10:52

Lol, mi ekis lerni Esperanton ĉar mi volis scii kial neniu ŝatis ĝin. :P Nun mi tre ŝatas ĝin. Mi akordas ke Esperanto ne estas kiel lingvoj naturaj.
Lol, I started learning Esperanto because I wanted to know why no one liked it. :P Now I love it. I do agree that Esperanto is as good as natural languages.

Hehe, same mi!

Hehe, same for me!
native: Deutsch / advanced: English, Nederlands / intermediate: Esperanto / forgotten: Français / fighting my way through: עברית מקראית / dreaming of: Čeština, עברית / admiring from a safe distance: فارسی

loqu

Postby loqu » 2009-02-12, 11:53

sjheiss, you're too young to be that sure about the things you'll never do or you'll never like!

In some time you'll come back to Esperanto.

They all do. :lol: :P
Нека људи уживају у стварима.
Let people enjoy things.

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2009-02-12, 15:19

loqu wrote:sjheiss, you're too young to be that sure about the things you'll never do or you'll never like!

Haha! Vi parolas tiel vi estas oldulo! Tiel mi!
In no particular order

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2009-02-12, 23:21

loqu wrote:sjheiss, you're too young to be that sure about the things you'll never do or you'll never like!

That's so true! IALs are like a bug. They are so hard to keep away from. :)

Sean of the Dead

Postby Sean of the Dead » 2009-02-13, 0:31

What the hell are you talking about? There's no specific age where one can decide whether they like something or not, please don't say such bullshit.

Return to “Esperanto”