Passporta Servo anyone?

hollymer

Passporta Servo anyone?

Postby hollymer » 2007-06-15, 18:44

I decided to start studying Esperanto beacuse the idea of travelling to other countries and understanding a bit of the culture through Esperanto speakers appealed to me a lot, as at the moment I have limited language skills (apart from English, French is the only language I've studied to any level and I'm faaaar from fluent) but I'm interested in travel and eventually studying more languages. Also partly because of the chance of pen pals in different countries, which would be interesting too. But I'm at no level yet (exams at the moment, going to focus once they're finished!).

Anyway I'm planning on studying Scandinavia at university so getting to know a bit more about it from an actual Scandinavian person would be useful!However I feel a little resentful having to correspond in English with someone whose language I haven't mastered yet (it almost seems rude), and Esperanto seems like a good bridge.

Passporta Servo seems like a great idea, but I was wondering if anyone had used it and how well they'd got on. So if anyone would like to share their experiences I'd be more than grateful! :D Also I'd like to know if in the directory you can see things like whether the hosts are a family or alone, and their ages and things like that. Anything really :P

Thanks!

pasalupo

Postby pasalupo » 2007-06-22, 17:20

I am in Denmark, where I am listed together with my partner.
You see in PS the names of those who invite. Normally they would list the names of the family members as well and some useful indications, e.g. limited language skill of some mebers, special diets, no smoking in the place etc.
I have had many good experiences with PS, also in Scandinavia. Most people are over-bearing with beginners, if not they might tell you as well. - And you are, of course, welcome to ask, if you have special questions for your future host.

There is also a Yahoo group for PS.
Gentles do not reprehend.

Aphoticom

Postby Aphoticom » 2007-07-03, 1:43

I'm going to sign up for it, once I become more comfortable with the language. And when I get enough money to support buying food for people other than myself... :lol:

hollymer

Postby hollymer » 2007-07-03, 11:21

Aphoticom wrote:I'm going to sign up for it, once I become more comfortable with the language. And when I get enough money to support buying food for people other than myself... :lol:

haha yeah me too! Exactly the same hindrances..

budz888

Postby budz888 » 2008-03-21, 2:59

For anyone that would like to use an online spaced repetition system for learning Esperanto... just send me an email. I'll give you a login and password. (to enable user specific drills)

All the grammar (what little there is) plus all the words of the fundamento with example sentences. Very easy and efficient way to learn Esperanto.

budz888

Postby budz888 » 2008-03-21, 3:00

I've stayed only with two people from the ps but have had offers of accommodation from a few.

I've also used it though to have local contacts in Taiwan, Ukraine, Romania, Bulgaria and Hungary. Superb experience each time.

Formiko

Postby Formiko » 2008-03-23, 2:53

Mi estas gastiganto, plus mi havas domegon, do mi ne mankas spacon. Mi uzis la pasportan servon Germanie, kaj mi havis bonan sperton.

I'm a host, and I have a huge house, so room is not an issue. I've used PS in Germany and had a fantastic time.
Cherokee Indian STILL improving German.
Getting reacquainted with Swahili Msaada!
In no particular order
[flag]eo[/flag][flag]de[/flag][flag]es[/flag][flag]yo[/flag][flag]chr[/flag][flag]ru[/flag]

Return to “Esperanto”