Fiorentino e la sua città

Koko

Fiorentino e la sua città

Postby Koko » 2014-06-09, 7:02

(please correct my italian: i am only writing in both languages for practice 8-) )

Since Florence is the city I will likely move to, I obviously have questions about the dialect. I would like to learn the dialect after I master Italian no matter what (just so I can say I speak two foreign languages :wink: ).

Perché Firenze è la città probabile mi trasferirò (a?), ovviamente ho domande del dialetto. Vorrei che imparerò il dialetto dopo padroneggio l'italiano senza dubbio (I have no clue what the Italian equivalent of no matter what would be.) (solo quindi posso dire che parlo due lingue stranieri.

1) How often is Florentine spoken? Come frequentemente sta Fiorentino parlato?
2) By whom? (friends, family, etc…?) Di chi? (amici, famiglia, ec…?) (What's "et cetera" in Italian?)
3) Is it pointless to learn it if you already know the standard? C'è un punto ad impararlo se si sa già il dialetto normale?

Grazie in anticipo.

~jakip

Re: Fiorentino e la sua città

Postby ~jakip » 2014-06-09, 9:26

Koko wrote:(please correct my italian: i am only writing in both languages for practice 8-) )

Since Florence is the city I will likely move to, I obviously have questions about the dialect. I would like to learn the dialect after I master Italian no matter what (just so I can say I speak two foreign languages :wink: ).

Dal momento che Firenze è la città in cui probabilmente mi trasferirò, ovviamente ho domande sul dialetto. Vorrei imparare il dialetto dopo aver padroneggiato l'italiano senza dubbi (I have no clue what the Italian equivalent of no matter what would be.) (così posso dire che parlo due lingue straniere.

1) How often is Florentine spoken? Quanto frequentemente è parlato il Fiorentino?
2) By whom? (friends, family, etc…?) Da chi? (amici, famiglia, ecc...?) (What's "et cetera" in Italian?) [It's eccetera ;) ]
3) Is it pointless to learn it if you already know the standard? È inutile impararlo se si sa già il dialetto normale?

Grazie in anticipo.

I can't help you since I'm not from Firenze, however I correct your mistakes ;)
Native: Italiano (it) C1: Español (es) English (en) B1: Lombard (lmo) A1: 中文 (zh)
Correct me whenever you want. Helps are more than welcome.
Se te vœret aiudar-m, mi saroo pussee qe content.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-06-09, 10:32

Koko, the Florentine dialect is Italian with a few twists :). We have our pronunciation (look up the Tuscan Gorgia on the net), our idioms and some words that you won't find anywhere else in Italy (some of which are just Tuscan, whereas some others are also Italian but have fallen out of use in the rest of the country). That's all.

I wouldn't suggest you develop active skills of it because a foreign trying to speak the Florentine vernacular would be simply laughed at. But a passive knowledge of it could definitely help you out.

Check this out:

http://www.zainoinspalla.it/varie/vohab ... entino.pdf

And this for pronunciation (I haven't read it but it seems quite good):

http://www.humnet.unipi.it/linguistica/ ... nition.pdf

~jakip wrote:È inutile impararlo se si sa già il dialetto normale?

Il dialetto normale O_o??

I would say l'italiano standard...

melski

Postby melski » 2014-06-09, 19:15

Beh, l'unica hosa che ho notato è che si parla sempre la c home la hacca... quindi non sii sorpreso huando ti hiedono se vuoi una hoha-hola o un'altra hosa :)

Well, the only thing that struck me was that in Tuscany people always pronounce c as an h... therefore don't be surprised when they ask you if you want a hoha-hola (coca-cola) or something else (un'altra cosa)
................Native: French (fr) French
................Fluent: English (en) English , Italian (it) Italian
.........Intermediate: German (de) German, Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Portuguese
.........Conversational: Catalan (ca) Catalan, Spanish (es) Spanish
....................Learning: [flag=Wallisian (East Uvean / faka'uvea)]wls[/flag] Wallisian (topic here)

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-06-09, 19:21

melski wrote:Beh, l'unica hosa che ho notato è che pronunciano/dicono sempre la c home la hacca

Non puoi usare la costruzione col si dal momento che non sei toscano :)

Comunque non è proprio vero, la /k/ diventa [h] solo se è intervocalica :) (intervocalica inteso anche come tra due parole, ad esempio la hasa)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-06-09, 23:03

Haha, so to learn Florentine is pointless.

Capisco che la pronuncia di ce può essere /k/ o [-h-]. (I understand the pronunciation of c can be…)

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-06-09, 23:10

Koko wrote:Haha, so to learn Florentine is pointless.

Capisco che la pronuncia di ce può essere /k/ o [-h-]. (I understand the pronunciation of c can be…)

The pronunciation of the hard C (/k/) becomes [h] when it's intervocalic.

~jakip

Postby ~jakip » 2014-06-10, 7:56

IpseDixit wrote:
~jakip wrote:È inutile impararlo se si sa già il dialetto normale?

Il dialetto normale O_o??

I would say l'italiano standard...

Ah! Non avevo capito cosa volesse dire in questo caso, per questo non l'ho corretto ;)
Native: Italiano (it) C1: Español (es) English (en) B1: Lombard (lmo) A1: 中文 (zh)

Itikar

Postby Itikar » 2014-06-10, 11:00

The author was one of my mother friends! :shock:

Well, the only thing that struck me was that in Tuscany people always pronounce c as an h... therefore don't be surprised when they ask you if you want a hoha-hola (coca-cola) or something else (un'altra cosa)

I find it sincerely a bit depressing. Okay, Florentine was indeed close to literary Italian, even in comparison to other Tuscan varieties, but not only the Italian with aspirated c's that it is turning in now. So sad. :(

IpseDixit wrote:Non puoi usare la costruzione col si dal momento che non sei toscano :)

And there is also this. Tuscans tend to get touchy if someone who hasn't got Tuscan roots tries to use Tuscan vernacular or some words of it.
Well not just Tuscans, also other people in the peninsula, but Tuscans seem to me touchier than the average.

Haha, so to learn Florentine is pointless.

It is never pointless to learn a vernacular. :)
Just learn it passively and you'll learn more about Florence and its inhabitants than you can imagine.
I suggest you to read some texts in Florentine vernacular and enjoy them:
http://archive.org/search.php?query=cre ... 67-1927%22
http://www.attoripercaso.it/copioni-com ... ettali.htm (scroll down to "commedie toscane")
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFJ6lNkakNs
Last edited by Itikar on 2014-06-10, 11:57, edited 1 time in total.
Fletto i muscoli e sono nel vuoto!
All corrections are welcome and appreciated.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-06-10, 11:09

And there is also this. Tuscans tend to get touchy if someone who hasn't got Tuscan roots tries to use Tuscan vernacular or some words of it.
Well not just Tuscans, also other people in the peninsula, but Tuscans seem to me touchier than the average.

The thing that annoys me the most is when people think that we pronounce every hard C as h. I've heard people say tos-hano :blow:

(the dash is there just to mean that they pronounce it as /sh/, not /ʃ/)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-06-10, 23:24

I've never thought that /k/ was always /h/ :? And yes, I am sucking up to Ipse (am I on your good side? Haha)

I find it odd though. For me, I usually realize intervocalic /h/ as null. It's so hard for me to not. Does this happen in Florentine?

Also, if I wanted to sound poetic or literate, could I use archaic words in Italian? Or would I be laughed at like I would be if I spoke florentine vernacular?

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-06-16, 3:27

Ipse, hai mangiato mai la schiacciata alla fiorentina? Il fotografo fa essa sembra molto buonissima.

Ho probabilmente sbagliato molto, ma spero puoi leggere questo.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-06-16, 23:24

Koko wrote:Ipse, hai mai mangiato mai la schiacciata alla fiorentina?

Il fotografo fa essa sembra molto buonissima.

Why the photograher? I mean, either you know the photographer who took the photo(s) you saw or I'd say dalle foto sembra molto buona/buonissima. (meaning "judging from the photos, it looks very tasty").

And you say either molto buona or buonissima, you cannot use molto with the -issimo form.
Ho probabilmente sbagliato molto, ma spero riesca a leggere.

The verb following sperare is usually in the subjunctive form. Riuscire is better than potere in this context.

---

Sì, naturalmente ho mangiato la schiacciata alla fiorentina; è un piatto molto tipico qui. Solitamente la si fa per carnevale. Il resto dell'anno non è molto facile da trovare. A me piace abbastanza, però se non è cucinata bene, c'è il rischio che sia troppo secca visto che non c'è niente al suo interno (né creme né marmellate né nient'altro).

---

Koko wrote:Haha, so to learn Florentine is pointless.

What is pointless is to have active skills of it. But passive skills could definitely help you out while in Florence.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-06-17, 0:56

Hmm, how do you say "the picture made it look very delicious?"

And I used "molto buonissima" to put emphasis? Is the -issim- suffix emphatic enough?

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-06-17, 8:36

Koko wrote:Hmm, how do you say "the picture made it look very delicious?"

Koko, you cannot translate everything word for word. The best way to say that is the sentence I wrote above.

Koko wrote:And I used "molto buonissima" to put emphasis? Is the -issim- suffix emphatic enough?

Yes, it's emphatic enough.

~jakip

Postby ~jakip » 2014-06-17, 8:50

IpseDixit wrote:
Koko wrote:Ho probabilmente sbagliato molto, ma spero si riesca a leggere.

Senza il si sembrerebbe che stia parlando con Ipse dandogli del "lei".

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-06-17, 9:52

Oh, haha. Ho letto la tua traduzione ma suppongo che non l'abbia fatto attenzione. Se facevo questa cosa, avrei capito più presto.

Anche pare che stia diventando peggiore come imparo l'italiano :? Ci sono più sbagli.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-06-17, 12:03

Koko wrote:Pare anche che stia peggiorando più imparo l'italiano :? Ci sono più sbagli.

There's a verb to mean diventare peggiore: peggiorare

Don't worry, IMO there are always ups and downs in the process of learning a language.

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-10-21, 6:39

Ipse, è mai possibile che io sarò benvenuto nella tua città come uno del suo? Oppure sarò sempre uno straniero?

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-10-21, 10:35

Koko wrote:Ipse, è mai possibile che io sarò benvenuto nella tua città come uno del suo? Oppure sarò sempre uno straniero?

Onestamente, secondo me l'idea di dover sembrare un fiorentino è sbagliata. Tu devi solo essere te stesso, e per ingraziarti le simpatie dei fiorentini ti basterà dimostrare di essere un tipo entusiasta e interessato alla cultura del posto, inoltre parlare un po' d'italiano (anche se facendo degli errori) è il modo migliore per essere preso in simpatia. E comunque Firenze, come tutte le maggiori città d'arte italiane, è così abituata agli stranieri che nessuno ci fa più caso.

Return to “Italian (Italiano)”