Some Questions from a Rosetta Stone Italian user

mmm6189

Some Questions from a Rosetta Stone Italian user

Postby mmm6189 » 2012-01-16, 22:03

I took Italian when I was studying abroad in Florence, but I didn't retain enough of it... so last Christmas, my relatives gave me Rosetta Stone Italian, and I've been using it off and on for a year. I think it's really helped for vocabulary and pronunciation, but as predicted by those who review language programs, it's difficult to learn grammatical rules and other rules properly, because there's never an official explanation of what I'm learning. I have a list of questions here that I've compiled over the past few months, mostly stemming from Rosetta Stone Italian Level 2. I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help me clear some of these issues up, but of course, I don't expect anyone to answer all of these...

1) When do I use the word "sia"? Sometimes it seems to mean "is", sometimes "both", but I know how to translate "is" and "both" and it's not "sia", so I'm confused...

2) What does "ció" mean, and when should I use it?

3) What tense is "potrebbero"? Conditional? Same with "riempiranno"?

4) At one point, the sentence is "Questo bilie potrebbero riempire esattamente il bicchiere." Why is it "questo", instead of "queste"?

5) "Quando si fa colazione?" Why isn't it "ha" or "mangia"? Is this a standard rule?

6) When learning about numbers (in the context of geometry), a couple phrases confused me: "dal 5" and "dall'1". Why is this numerical attached to "dall", but 5 not attached to "dal"?

7) "Te se fatto male"? Is this really how you say "Are you hurt"? Including both "te" and "se" confuses me...

8) "Io ti do dei soldi." Why is it not just "i soldi"? Why "dei"? How does the idea of "of/di" come into play here?

9) What does "Certo, te lo toglo volentieri" mean"?

10) Giú dalla strada dell'area di ricreazione. Why is it "dalla" and not "la" after "Giú"? And why is it "dell'area" instead of "dall'area", if the meaning if basically "from"?

I need to buy a textbook soon. Thanks for any help.

Fulgenzio

Re: Some Questions from a Rosetta Stone Italian user

Postby Fulgenzio » 2012-01-17, 1:40

1) When do I use the word "sia"? Sometimes it seems to mean "is", sometimes "both", but I know how to translate "is" and "both" and it's not "sia", so I'm confused...

Sia is either the present subjunctive (third person singular) of essere or a correlative conjunction like the English "and... and...".

2) What does "ció" mean, and when should I use it?

Ciò just means "it".

3) What tense is "potrebbero"? Conditional? Same with "riempiranno"?

Potrebbero is the present conditional of potere (third person plural). Riempiranno is the future tense of riempire, third person plural.

4) At one point, the sentence is "Questo bilie potrebbero riempire esattamente il bicchiere." Why is it "questo", instead of "queste"?

That must be a typo. The adjective is certainly plural, so it’s queste.

5) "Quando si fa colazione?" Why isn't it "ha" or "mangia"? Is this a standard rule?

It’s idiomatic.

6) When learning about numbers (in the context of geometry), a couple phrases confused me: "dal 5" and "dall'1". Why is this numerical attached to "dall", but 5 not attached to "dal"?

Because it works as those numbers were spelt: 5 is cinque so it is preceded by del; 1 is uno, it begins with a vowel, so it’s preceded by dell’(<dello/a)

7) "Te se fatto male"? Is this really how you say "Are you hurt"? Including both "te" and "se" confuses me...

That’s certainly wrong, unless you’re speaking romanesco or some of the other dialects of central Italy: it's Ti sei fatto male. Yes, it’s how we say that, from “farsi male”.

8) "Io ti do dei soldi." Why is it not just "i soldi"? Why "dei"? How does the idea of "of/di" come into play here?

In such cases the preposition (dei/degli/delle) means just “some”: “I give you some money”

9) What does "Certo, te lo toglo tolgo volentieri" mean"?

Literally translating, it's "Of course, I take it away from you/remove from you with pleasure".

10) Giú dalla strada dell'area di ricreazione. Why is it "dalla" and not "la" after "Giú"? And why is it "dell'area" instead of "dall'area", if the meaning if basically "from"?

I don’t see the context, so I can’t get the precise meaning. It sounds weird though.
Arcum instensio frangit, animum remissio.

Return to “Italian (Italiano)”