Help with articles?

acardullo

Help with articles?

Postby acardullo » 2011-06-09, 0:27

I'm having Trouble with knowing when to use which article and in what context; can someone help?
When do you use il, la, i or gli, le, etc. or del, degli, delle or un, una, uno??

Remis

Re: Help with articles?

Postby Remis » 2011-06-09, 9:23

You don't use uno, as far as I know: that's a number, not an article. (someone correct me on this, please?)

un = indefinite masculine singular article. a man; un uomo
una = indefinite feminine singular article. a woman; una donna

il = definite masculine singular article. the man; il uomo
la = definite feminine singular article. the woman; la donna
Then you've also got lo, which is the definitive neuter singular article. Can't think of a neuter word in Italian right now, sorry.
i = definite masculine plural article. the men; i uomini
le = definite feminine plural article. the women; le donne
gli = pretty damn sure this is the definitive neuter plural article.

del, degli and delle are all articles for saying "of the." Del is de + il (del uomo, of the man), degli is de + gli, delle is de + le. Then you've also got de + la = da, de + i = di, de + lo = do.
I'm not completely sure of the del/degli/etc. articles, so it'd be nice if someone could correct me on it if I'm wrong?
Remis Kalvan | art / ˈfɛɪsˌbʊk | L1: [flag]no-nb[/flag] L2: [flag]en[/flag] reading short stories in: [flag]it[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]

TAC 2012 [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]la[/flag] ([flag]es-mx[/flag] [flag]non[/flag])
Of immense interest: [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]akk[/flag] [flag]egy[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]mt[/flag] [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]prg[/flag] [flag]nah[/flag] [flag]qu[/flag] [flag]nv[/flag] [flag]zh.Hant[/flag]
Wanderlustin' for [flag]ain[/flag] [flag]ka[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag] [flag]cy[/flag] [flag]af[/flag]

acardullo

Postby acardullo » 2011-06-09, 16:59

Remis wrote:You don't use uno, as far as I know: that's a number, not an article. (someone correct me on this, please?)

Then you've also got lo, which is the definitive neuter singular article. Can't think of a neuter word in Italian right now, sorry.

del, degli and delle are all articles for saying "of the." Del is de + il (del uomo, of the man), degli is de + gli, delle is de + le. Then you've also got de + la = da, de + i = di, de + lo = do.
I'm not completely sure of the del/degli/etc. articles, so it'd be nice if someone could correct me on it if I'm wrong?

Uno is used (according to textbooks, standard Italian) before S+consonant or Z; uno zaino (a backpack), uno studente (a student)
Lo corresponds to uno; lo zaino lo studente

il, l'(masculine) > i
la, l'(feminine) > le
lo > gli (?)

del, degli, dello, delle, dei are the plural forms of un, una, uno (?) (meaning "some")
lo studente (the student) > gli studenti (the students)... uno studente (a student) > degli studenti (some students)

I think the da, di, etc. mean 'from' or 'of the/them'; sono d'Italia (I'm from Italy), sono da Napoli (I'm from Naples)

I'm currently taking a class on Italian, this is what I've been taught. Obviously it's standard Italian, not a dialect, so it most likely differs from what would be said in actual conversation. If anyone has corrections or more advice, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Remis

Postby Remis » 2011-06-09, 19:15

...Sorry, I don't know how I managed to mess that up. :shock: Yeah, uno/lo/degli/gli are the neuter articles (indefinite singular, definite singular, indefinite plural and definite plural respectively), while da/di/etc. are from/of.

That's what I've been taught too (though through an internet course, not a class), so yeah.

Well, back to reviewing articles for me. :P
Last edited by Remis on 2011-06-09, 22:04, edited 1 time in total.
Remis Kalvan | art / ˈfɛɪsˌbʊk | L1: [flag]no-nb[/flag] L2: [flag]en[/flag] reading short stories in: [flag]it[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]

TAC 2012 [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]la[/flag] ([flag]es-mx[/flag] [flag]non[/flag])
Of immense interest: [flag]grc[/flag] [flag]akk[/flag] [flag]egy[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]mt[/flag] [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]eu[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]prg[/flag] [flag]nah[/flag] [flag]qu[/flag] [flag]nv[/flag] [flag]zh.Hant[/flag]
Wanderlustin' for [flag]ain[/flag] [flag]ka[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag] [flag]cy[/flag] [flag]af[/flag]

acardullo

Postby acardullo » 2011-06-09, 19:39

Hahah yea I keep reviewing and still mix them all up, way too many small words that sound the same and mean the same thing...

EDIT:

You were right about del, et al. I was mixing the del articles and dei articles together.
Di = of ... Lo stadio a destra della biblioteca

Dei, degli, delle mean "some", plural of un, un', uno, una ... Ho una cravatta (I have a tie), hanno delle cravatte (They have some ties)

Massimiliano B

Postby Massimiliano B » 2011-06-15, 23:05

Remis wrote:You don't use uno, as far as I know: that's a number, not an article. (someone correct me on this, please?)

There is no neuter gender in italian. There's only the masculine and the feminine gender.
il, lo, l', are the masculine singular definite articles. Lo is used when a masculine singular word begins with S+consonant(s) (example: lo studente, lo spumante, lo strappo), with z- (lo zucchero, lo zio), with ps- (lo psicologo), and with i (and y-)+vowel (lo yogurt, lo iettatore). You have to use l' when the masculine singular word begins with a vowel: l'orologio, l'albero, l'uomo, l'ospite. Use il with all the other masculine singular words (il treno, il bambino, il fiore, il padre).
La and l' are the feminine singular definite articles. You have to use l' before feminine singular words beginning with a vowel(s): l'amica, l'ora, l'isola, l'aula. Use la with the other feminine words (la strada, la tavola, la madre, la nave, la zia, la iena).
i and gli are the masculine plural definite articles. The first is the plural form of il: il padre (singular), i padri (plural). Gli is the plural form of lo and l': lo studente (singular), gli studenti (plural), lo zio (singular), gli zii (plural), l'albero (singular), gli alberi (plural).
Le is the only feminine plural definite article. You must use it with all the feminine plural words (le amiche, le tavole, le zie, le strade, le mani, le navi).
Un and uno are the indefinite masculine singular articles. Uno is used like lo, that is before words beginning with S+consonant (uno studente), z- (uno zio), ps- (uno psicologo), i- and y- (uno yogurt).Un is used before the other masculine words (un libro, un cane).
Una and un' are the indefinite feminine singular articles. Use un' before a feminine singular word which begins with a vowel (un'amica, un'isola) and una before the other feminine singular words (una tavola, una maglia, una madre...).
Del, dello, della, dell', dei, degli, delle: these words may be used in two different ways. The first meaning is "of the". But they also may be the plural form of the indefinite singular article. In this sense, they have a partitive meaning: del, dello, della, dell' are singular, and are used with singular uncountable nouns, in order to indicate an undetermined quantity: del (di+il) pane (some bread), dello (di+lo) zucchero (some sugar), della (di+la) farina, dell' (di+l') acqua (some water). Dei, degli, delle, before plural countable and uncountable nouns, indicate a little undetermined number: dei bambini (some children), degli studenti (some students), delle penne (some pens), dei pani (some breads=some different kinds of bread).

Return to “Italian (Italiano)”