May I speak to you in English?

Swoph

May I speak to you in English?

Postby Swoph » 2010-07-04, 14:10

Hi there, First of all, I am sorry if there have already been lots of questions similar to mine, I tried to search through the forum but didn't have much luck.

I am visiting Rome next week and unfortunately my Italian is not good - it doesn't go much further than please can I have a cheese sandwich and where is the bank please?!

I would like to be able to at least say "Please may I speak English" so I can at least be polite before launching in to English, I don't want to come across as ignorant and not even try.

Please may somebody tell me how to say "Please may I speak English" or "It is okay to speak English" or something that equates to this. I definitely don't want to just say "Do you speak English" or anything like that, I would like to specifically ask politely if they mind if I speak English to them. As simply as is possible please! Is it also possible to also tell me how to pronounce it properly.

One more thing, how do you casually say hello - like hi. Is it simply Ciao. Are there any other ways of greeting people apart from Good Morning, Good Afternoon etc.

Thanks so much, any other help will be greatly appreciated.

KingHarvest

Re: May I speak to you in English?

Postby KingHarvest » 2010-07-05, 22:37

Most Romans (especially in the presumably touristy places you'll be visiting) speak English, so you really shouldn't have a problem.

Posso parlare inglese? = May I speak English?
Ciao = hi
Buongiorno = good day
Buona sera = good evening
grazie = thank you

Frankly, no one's going to care if you speak English. It makes more sense to ask if they speak English, which is "Parla inglese?"
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

Blondi

Postby Blondi » 2010-07-06, 7:42

ti dispiace se parliamo in inglese? = do you mind speaking in english?
for the pronounciation i can try to send you a voice record, if u want! :whistle:

don't really think most romans speak english, :nope: but i think they can understand you as they're used to tourists asking for information and suggestions.
and - on the other side - in italy we are very skilled in waving and talking by signs! :mrgreen:

enjoy your roman holidays then!
what are you going to visit and see once in rome, then?

KingHarvest

Postby KingHarvest » 2010-07-06, 20:55

I've never had any problem with Romans not speaking English in touristy places in Rome.
Most men are rather stupid, and most of those who are not stupid are, consequently, rather vain.
-A.E. Housman

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-02-16, 16:32

In some parts of Italy, English is understood but not spoken. I've never been to Rome though.

How did you trip go? Were you able to communicate easily?

Return to “Italian (Italiano)”