Keelehuumor

Moderator:aaakknu

Linguaphile
Re: Keelehuumor

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-03-28, 4:01

Original: Kaubavahetus Ukrainaga: Iga Eesti elaniku kohta veame sisse viis kilogrammi sihvkasid.
Translation: Trade with Ukraine: For every resident of Estonia, we import five kilograms of slender cats.

(sihvakaid kassisid = slender cats; sihvkasid = sunflower seeds)

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2022-04-19, 9:11

Interesting! I didn't know that.
By the way, sunflower is the national flower of Ukraine (maybe you already know that). Ukraine is one of the biggest producers of sunflower seeds also (according to the Ukrainian Wikipedia article I checked).
And the national flower of Estonia is cornflower, as far as I remember.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-04-19, 17:11

aaakknu wrote:Interesting! I didn't know that.
By the way, sunflower is the national flower of Ukraine (maybe you already know that). Ukraine is one of the biggest producers of sunflower seeds also (according to the Ukrainian Wikipedia article I checked).
And the national flower of Estonia is cornflower, as far as I remember.

Yes, Estonia's is the cornflower, rukkilill.
I didn't know about the national flower of Ukraine until recently, but I like it! I think I actually learned it from the book Minu Ukraina, but I'm not sure; anyway that book has sunflowers on the cover and then I started seeing lots of sunflowers on Etsy and now it just seems natural to associate sunflowers with Ukraine. I watched a few episodes of Слуга народу recently too, there was a joke about it. I don't remember exactly, but something like this:

"Did you know that Ukraine is the world's largest producer of oil?"
:hmm: [person on screen, as well as me, thinking: no, that can't be right....] "...Olive oil?"
"No, sunflower."
:lol:

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-04-19, 17:50

The menu of a Georgian restaurant in Tallinn machine-translated into English by the Bolt app. (Main dish names are supposed to be Georgian foods: tušuri and imeruli. No idea how they got those translations... "Approaches" for "eelroad" is also quite funny.

Source

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-04-19, 17:56

Elon Mulk ja Kihnu Reeves

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-04-19, 18:12

Satiinist kummiga voodilina, mitte sariinist!! :shock:

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-09-09, 2:08

KAKAO või КАКАО?
Natsionalist ostis poest punased, valgemummulised köögitopsid toiduainete jaoks. Natsionalist tõi topsid koju ja pakkis lahti. Mida ta nägi? Topsid olid plekist ja neid oli kolme moodi: suured, keskmised ja tillukesed. Suuri oli kuus, keskmisi oli kuus ja tillukesi oli ka kuus. Kokku oli 18 topsi. Topsid mahtusid üksteise sisse ja seda selliselt, et tilluke mahtus keskmise sisse ja keskmine suure sisse. Topsid olid varustatud kahekeelsete nimetustega, iga topsi küljel olid eesti- ja venekeelsed sõnad; kahel vastasküljel eestikeelsed ja kahel vastasküljel venekeelsed. Natsionalistile ei meeldinud venekeelsed kirjad. Ta võttis leukoplasti ja kleepis kõik venekeelsed kirjad üle. Ta kleepis üle järgmised sõnad: сахар, мука, рис, крупа, геркулес, манна, сода, кофе, изюм, крахмал, лавровый лист, чай, пряность, гвоздика, корица, тмин ja перец. Kaua mõtles natsionalist ühe topsi juures. Selle nimi oli KAKAO. Ta ei teadnud, millisel küljel on vene- ja millisel eestikeelne kiri. Lõpuks halastas ta kakaotopsile ja jättis selle üle kleepimata.

Šovinist ostis poest punased, valgemummulised köögitopsid toiduainete jaoks. Šovinist tõi topsid koju ja pakkis lahti. Mida ta nägi? Topsid olid plekist ja neid oli kolme moodi: suured, keskmised ja tillukesed. Suuri oli kuus, keskmisi oli kuus ja tillukesi oli ka kuus. Kokku oli 18 topsi. Topsid mahtusid üksteise sisse ja seda selliselt, et tilluke mahtus keskmise sisse ja keskmine suure sisse. Topsid olid varustatud kahekeelsete nimetustega, iga topsi küljel olid eesti- ja venekeelsed sõnad; kahel vastasküljel eestikeelsed ja kahel vastasküljel venekeelsed. Šovinistile ei meeldinud eestikeelsed kirjad. Ta võttis leukoplasti ja kleepis kõik eestikeelsed kirjad üle. Ta kleepis üle järgmised sõnad: suhkur, jahu, riis, tangud, herkulad, manna, soda, kohv, rosinad, tärklis, loorber, tee, vürts, nelk, kaneel, köömned ja pipar. Kaua mõtles šovinist ühe topsi juures. Selle nimi oli KAKAO. Ta ei teadnud, millisel küljel on eesti- ja millisel venekeelne kiri. Lõpuks halastas ta kakaotopsile ja jättis selle üle kleepimata.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-10-04, 3:22

Kunagi mõtlesin, et pastasõltevusele polegi ravi. Aga ravioli.

(allikas - Keiti Vilms)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-11-01, 15:30

I was looking for a translations of välisfilee, and came across this bad translation:

(et) Mõni klient oli üllatunud, et kuidas teil välisfilee otsas on.
(en) A lot of fans were surprised when they found out you're leaving Silicon Valley.*

:rotfl:

*Actually should be:
► Show Spoiler

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2022-11-01, 17:14

Linguaphile wrote:I was looking for a translations of välisfilee, and came across this bad translation:

(en) A lot of fans were surprised when they found out you're leaving Silicon Valley.*

Meanwhile I translated that as "Many clients were surprised how you could have a gap fillet on your forehead." :lol:

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-11-01, 17:30

Naava wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:I was looking for a translations of välisfilee, and came across this bad translation:

Meanwhile I translated that as "Many clients were surprised how you could have a gap fillet on your forehead." :lol:

:rotfl:

Edit: I wonder what you'd make of seavälisfileesteigid then? That word was the reason I was searching for a translation of välisfilee. I've settled on "pork sirloin steak", btw. Techdico was no help at all. :mrgreen:

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2023-11-06, 4:02

Linguaphile wrote:=====

Kas puudel on lehed või koer?

=====

Supi sisse sattunud kokk pidi põgenemiseks kasutama salateid.

=====

Telefonikõne:
- Halloo, kas ma Mona Lisaga saaks rääkida?
- Ei, ta on maal.

These posts are old, I came across them just now while looking for something else. They made me laugh again, and I thought, why not try to translate/explain them? A weird challenge!

Here goes:
Kas puudel on lehed või koer?
This one has a double meaning, namely "kas puudel on" can mean either "do trees have" or "is a poodle". There's really no way to know which meaning is intended until getting to the end of the sentence. So this pun throws a wrench into that by providing both options in the second half of the question and asking the listener to choose.
So it can mean either (A) or (B), ending with (C).
(A) Do trees have... (INTEROG tree-PL-ADE be-3s)
(B) Is a poodle.... (INTEROG poodle-NOM-SING)
(C) .... leaves or a dog? (leaf-NOM-PL or dog-NOM-SING)

Supi sisse sattunud kokk pidi põgenemiseks kasutama salateid.
This one is also a pun with a double meaning. This time the two meanings are:
(A) A cook who has gotten into the soup should use salads in order to escape.
(B) A cook who has gotten into trouble should use secret roads in order to escape.
How?
"Supi sisse sattuma" has the literal meaning "to get into the soup" or "to blunder into the soup" but its idiomatic meaning is "to get caught up in a mess," "to get into trouble". And then "salateid" can be the partitive plural of either "salat" ("salad") or "salatee" ("secret road").
So technically there could be four meanings: the two already mentioned above plus
(C) A cook who has gotten into the soup should use secret roads in order to escape.
(D) A cook who has gotten into trouble should use salads to escape.
Those don't make as much sense as (A) or (B). Not that (A) makes all that much sense either, maybe (D) even makes more sense than (A), but at least (A) is clever and has a sort of cartoonish theme about a hapless cook who falls into the broth and enlists the help of vegetables to get back out. (I hope someday someone makes a cartoon like that. The cook asking for help from the lettuce or the tomatoes and cucumbers and someone else whispering from outside the window: "No, no, no! The roads!" Ei, ei! Teesid! and then the cook could start asking the tea bags for help because that's a whole other pun; teesid is an alternate partitive plural for "tee" meaning "roads", which surely our helpful whisperer would switch to in an attempt be better understood, but is also the partitive plural for the other meaning of "tee", which is "tea"...)
Anyway, I think the possibility of (C) and (D) make the pun even funnier. Some part of your brain still has to consider each and every possibility and discard the less possible ones when hearing the joke and it just adds to the weirdness.

Last one:
- Halloo, kas ma Mona Lisaga saaks rääkida?
- Ei, ta on maal.

The first line is perfectly normal, I mean, assuming Mona Lisa is a living person in the 21st century (or pre-mobile-phone 20th century) then it's perfectly normal. It's the beginning of a telephone call and it means "Hello, is Mona Lisa there?". Anyone might say this on the phone. But its word-for-word literal meaning is important here: literally it means "Hello, can I speak with Mona Lisa?"
So the answer, "Ei, ta on maal" has (as always) a double meaning.
(A) No, she's out [in the country]. (no she be-3s country-ADE-SING)
(B) No, she's a painting. (no she be-3s painting-NOM-SING)
And, I mean... yeah. Either of those is a perfectly good reason for why you can't speak with her right now.

I guess they're probably not quite as funny, or maybe not funny at all, to non-Estonian-speakers who have to rely on the explanations to understand them. Basically, as jokes they're about as untranslatable as you could get since they rely on multiple double meanings. But I think they're quite funny and wanted to try to share them!

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2024-03-03, 16:51

Was reading posts in another forum discussing memorization of the nom/gen/part case forms and came across this list, thought I'd share it here:

esi - ee - ett
kusi - koe - kutt
käsi - käe - kätt
lüsi - löe - lütt
mesi - mee - mett
püsi - poe - pütt
siga - sea - sitt
susi - soe - sutt
süsi - söe - sütt
tõsi - tõe - tõtt
vesi - vee - vett
viga - vea - vitt