Ma and Da infinitive

Moderator:aaakknu

kloie
Ma and Da infinitive

Postby kloie » 2021-04-03, 16:20

I'm learning when to use ma and da and i need some help translating some sentences.
Ma sõidan õppiMA.
Ma lähen õppiMA.
Ma tulen sinu juurde õppiMA.

Linguaphile

Re: Ma and Da infinitive

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-04-03, 16:58

kloie wrote:I'm learning when to use ma and da and i need some help translating some sentences.
Ma sõidan õppiMA.
Ma lähen õppiMA.

Ma sõidan õppima = I go by vehicle to study; I will go by vehicle to study
Ma lähen õppima = I go to study, I'm going to study
Ma tulen sinu juurde õppima = I come to your place to study, I'll come to your place to study

The first one sounds a bit strange, grammatically correct but perhaps an odd thing to say on its own. It makes more sense when we add some context:
Ma sõidan homme hommikul Tartusse õppima = I will go to Tartu (by vehicle) tomorrow morning to study
Ma sõidan autoga/bussiga Tartusse õppima = I go to Tartu by car/bus to study; I will go to Tartu by car/bus to study
Ma sõidan USA-sse õppima = I go to the USA (by vehicle) to study; I will go to the US (by vehicle) to study
Ma sõidan lennukiga USA-sse õppima = I travel to the USA by plane to study; I will fly to the USA to study
In English we'd be more likely to say "I'm driving to Tartu to study" or "I'm taking the bus to Tartu to study" or "I'm flying to the US to study" or "I'm travelling to the United States to study" or something along those lines, so those can be good translations as well, but those details of course depend on the context.

This thread might be useful as well.

ainurakne

Re: Ma and Da infinitive

Postby ainurakne » 2021-04-04, 8:40

kloie wrote:Ma sõidan õppiMA.
Ma lähen õppiMA.
In the context of your sentences, think of the ma-infinitive as the illative form of the verb ~ "into the state of studying".

You generally pick ma-infinitive over da-infinitive if you start doing something, if you physically move to somewhere to do something, if you learn to do something, etc...
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”