kloie
Object case

Postby kloie » 2020-04-24, 20:07

Could someone explain the object case(sihitis) to me? With examples

Linguaphile

Re: Object case

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-04-24, 20:29

kloie wrote:Could someone explain the object case(sihitis) to me? With examples

The examples I would give are probably the ones that are already in the Accusative/partitive thread - it's basically an object case thread, too. For example, you can see the examples I posted a while back here. Is that the kind of thing you are looking for?

I'll re-post what seems to be the most relevant part of it here:
Eesti keeles saab sihitis olla In Estonian, the object can be:
  • ainsuse osastavas in the partitive singular (loen raamatut I read [part of] a book [present tense])
  • mitmuse osastavas in the partitive plural (loen raamatuid I read some books [present tense])
  • ainsuse omastavas in the genitive singular (lugesin raamatu läbi I read a book [all the way through] [past tense])
  • ainsuse nimetavas in the nominative singular (loe raamat läbi read the book [all the way through]! [imperative] )
  • mitmuse nimetavas in the nominative plural (loe raamatud läbi read the books [all the way through]! [imperative])

Also this:
from Estonian Textbook (Tuldava):
The direct object (called sihitis in Estonian) can be considered either as a "total" object or a "partial" object. The total object (täissihitis) may also be called the definite, complete, or whole object. It is used in sentences were all three of the following conditions are met:
1) The sentence is affirmative.
2) The action of the verb leads to completion.
3) The object is effected in its entirety.
In an imperative sentence (where a command is given), the total object is in the nominative case. In a declarative sentence (where a statement of fact is given), the total object is in the genitive case if it is in the singular and in the nominative case if it is in the plural.

Total object examples:
Võta raamat! (nom. sing.) = Take the book!
Võta raamatud! (nom. pl.) = Take the books!
Ma võtsin raamatu. (gen. sing.) = I took the book.
Ma võtsin raamatud. (nom. pl.) = I took the books.
Loe raamat läbi! (nom. sing.) = Read the book [all the way through]!
Ma lugesin raamatu läbi. (gen. sing.) = I read the book [all the way through].
Ma ostan raamatu. (gen. sing.) = I will buy the book.

Partial object examples:
Ära võta raamatut! (part. sing.) = Don't take the book!
Õpilane loeb raamatut. (part. sing.) = The student is [engaged in] reading a book.
Loe raamatut! (part. sing.) = Read [some of] the book! (but not necessarily to the end)
Ma lugesin raamatut. (part. sing.) = I was reading the book. (unfinished)
Ma ostan raamatut. (part. sing.) = I am [engaged in] buying the book.

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”