Kõpsikud (ehk mis juhtub, kui vajun igavusse)

Moderator:aaakknu

Linguaphile
Kõpsikud (ehk mis juhtub, kui vajun igavusse)

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-04-05, 20:01

Originally I was going to post this in Sõnad, mida hiljuti õppisid thread, then in the Küsimus eesti keele kohta or Eesti keele kohvik threads when that didn't work, but due to the SQL error it seems I can no longer post in any of those threads now, so I'm making a new thread for this little word.

So I came across kõpsikud in a book I was reading. I know that means some kind of shoe/footwear. (That's why I was going to post in the thread Sõnad, mida hiljuti õppisid - I've learned at least that much about what it means.)
But, I'm not sure how specific it is (footwear in general? women's heels?), and I can't find it in any of my dictionaries.
The plural is kõpsikud, I suppose the singular should be kõpsik, but I've only encountered the plural.
Well, in the context where I found it, it seems to mean a woman's high-heeled shoes, and a google search comes up with photos of those as well.* So I don't know if it refers only to high-heeled shoes, fancy shoes, shoes that make a kõps-kõps-kõps sound (I suppose that would be women's heels too), or footwear more generally.

These are kõpsikud:

It's not really important for me to know what it means other than "some kind of footwear" and I suspect it's the type of women's heels that make a loud noise or ones similar to that, but I'm rather bored right now and unable to post in other threads at the moment, so... this post happened. :mrgreen:

*The google search came up with several examples of "kõpsikud jalga," which seemed encouraging, but then, as if placed there purely to confuse me, also an example of "kõpsikud ninna". :ohwell: Seems that one was intended entirely to be weird ("Värvi üleni end ära! Kittel selga, vanaema trussikud pähe, kõpsikud ninna ja minek! Kes tahab võib endale kas või peldikupoti pähe monteerida!" - totally not the most useful example to encounter when looking for context that will help to understand what a word means, but it gave me a good laugh when I read the whole sentence after clicking on the link because in the Google search results it didn't show enough context to make that clear, and it actually did make me start to doubt for a moment whether my understanding of it being a type of shoe was right. I mean, really, kõpsikud ninna? :silly:

ainurakne

Re: Kõpsikud (ehk mis juhtub, kui vajun igavusse)

Postby ainurakne » 2020-04-06, 14:41

Kõpsikud is a colloquialism of another colloquialism kõpskingad:
k`õps+k`ing kõrge kontsaga peoking
kõps|king
KÕNEK kõpskontsaga pidulik king. Tikkpeene kontsaga kõpskingad. Ta tantsis valgetes kõpskingades.

Linguaphile wrote:I mean, really, kõpsikud ninna? :silly:
As an Estonian, I can say that kõpsikud ninna is as good as trussikud pähe. Ja see ei tähenda sugugi, et need peaks tervenisti ninna suruma. Piisab, kui vaid kontsad otsapidi ninna torgata.
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-04-06, 15:48

ainurakne wrote:Kõpsikud is a colloquialism of another colloquialism kõpskingad:
k`õps+k`ing kõrge kontsaga peoking
kõps|king
KÕNEK kõpskontsaga pidulik king. Tikkpeene kontsaga kõpskingad. Ta tantsis valgetes kõpskingades.

Aitäh!

ainurakne wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:I mean, really, kõpsikud ninna? :silly:
As an Estonian, I can say that kõpsikud ninna is as good as trussikud pähe. Ja see ei tähenda sugugi, et need peaks tervenisti ninna suruma. Piisab, kui vaid kontsad otsapidi ninna torgata.

:silly:

Muide, mul on selles foorumis SQL-probleeme juba ülemöödunud nädalast praeguseni. Paistab, et ma saan igas teemas üks-kaks korda postitada ja siis enam ei saa isegi seda avata. Näiteks ma näen, et sa kirjutasid midagi Imperative Mood postituses, aga ma ei saa enam seda lugeda ega vastata. Saan hoopis SQL-error sõnumit. Sellepärast ma ei tea, mida sa kirjutasid seal.

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2020-04-06, 16:00

Linguaphile wrote:Muide, mul on selles foorumis SQL-probleeme juba ülemöödunud nädalast praeguseni. Paistab, et ma saan igas teemas üks-kaks korda postitada ja siis enam ei saa isegi seda avata. Näiteks ma näen, et sa kirjutasid midagi Imperative Mood postituses, aga ma ei saa enam seda lugeda ega vastata. Saan hoopis SQL-error sõnumit. Sellepärast ma ei tea, mida sa kirjutasid seal.

You gotta be like

If I had time and knew how to, I'd add ainurakne's name there.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-04-10, 15:05

It's a little better now; I can read (some) posts again. I can read your secrets now! :mrgreen: But when I go to post a reply, most of the time I get the SQL error message instead of the new-post form and can't post. I still can't even open or read the SQL Error thread (or the Imperative Mood thread here in the Estonian forum) either.
It looks like I can post in this thread at the moment :woohoo: , but before posting here I tried to post in the Eesti Muusika and Sõnad, mida hiljuti õppisid threads and couldn't post a reply in either of them.

P.S. Naava, since I can post here and not elsewhere - and can read your meme Eesti Keele Kohvikust:
Naava wrote:Meanwhile in Tampere Jodel...

LOL! He is having way too much fun with that children's book..... I hadn't seen it. His laughter is contagious even though I'm not sure I get the joke. Is it because he thinks the language is funny? Kassipojad must sound quite funny to a Finnish-speaker. But olen väsinud is just olen väsynyt, isn't it?
:silly:

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”