Eesti keele õpperühm

Moderator: aaakknu

User avatar
aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 1196
Joined: 2015-05-10, 12:24
Real Name: Ira
Gender: female
Country: ID Indonesia (Indonesia)

Eesti keele õpperühm

Postby aaakknu » 2019-09-20, 3:20

Tere kõigile!

Unilangis on palju õpperühmi erinevate keelte jaoks, ja ma mõtlesin, et selline rühm eesti keele õppimiseks on ka hea idee.
Mis mõtlete?

See on esimene aasta, kui mul pole eesti keele tunde, ja ma juba tunnen, et mu oskused (eriliselt rääkimine / kirjutamine) halvenevad, millest mul on kahju.

Me võiks arendada oma oskusi üheskoos.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

Linguaphile
Posts: 2384
Joined: 2016-09-17, 5:06

Re: Eesti keele õpperühm

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-09-20, 3:54

aaakknu wrote:Tere kõigile!

Unilangis on palju õpperühmi erinevate keelte jaoks, ja ma mõtlesin, et selline rühm eesti keele õppimiseks on ka hea idee.
Mis mõtlete?

See on esimene aasta, kui mul pole eesti keele tunde, ja ma juba tunnen, et mu oskused (eriliselt rääkimine / kirjutamine) halvenevad, millest mul on kahju.

Me võiks arendada oma oskusi üheskoos.

Olen täitsa nõus. See on hea mõte. Osaleksin heameelega eesti keele õpperühmas! Kuidas alustame? Ja kellega veel koos? Mida rohkem, seda uhkem!

Linguaphile
Posts: 2384
Joined: 2016-09-17, 5:06

Re: Eesti keele õpperühm

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-09-28, 16:18

Is anyone interested in joining an Estonian study group, at any level? I'd be happy to join and discuss any materials with you, or answer questions. If we have beginners, we'll use English; if we only have more advanced learners, siis kasutame eesti keelt.
Aaakknu, kas tahad eesti keelt keeleõppematerjalidega õppida (või õpitud materjale korrata) ja siin õppematerjalide üle arutleda? Missugused materjalid ja millisel tasemel? Või kas sa tahad õpperühmas eesti keelt arutleda ilma õppematerjalideta?

User avatar
Naava
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 1108
Joined: 2012-01-17, 20:24
Gender: female
Country: FI Finland (Suomi)

Re: Eesti keele õpperühm

Postby Naava » 2019-09-29, 7:49

I don't know, I'd like to keep on learning Estonian and I know that that won't happen if I'm trying to do it alone, so a study group could be useful... :hmm: I mean I can study on my own, I just don't. I'm always busy or "busy" with something else lol.

I'm still hesitating because I'm supposed to be writing my thesis this autumn and spring, not to mention all the other courses I have. (For example, one of my professors started his course by saying we're going to write a 12-page essay for him. Hoooray that's exactly what I needed!) Like, am I so crazy that I'd give myself extra work (=Estonian) when I'm already feeling like there's not enough time to do everything? Probably... :)

I have one book, Keelesild, but none of us really liked it and even our teacher basically abandoned it in the last course we had.* Instead, we were writing our own texts (she gave the topics) or translating news from Finnish to Estonian and Estonian to Finnish. It was really frustrating at times, especially when the journalists had used really odd word choices or phrases, but I kinda liked it too because I could just repeat someone else's words. :mrgreen: I could do something like that again, if you'd be interested in checking the texts. Our teacher was awesome and really read through everyone's translations and corrected them for us, which was very helpful. I could translate and/or write texts on my own, of course, but then I wouldn't know if I had made mistakes or if there's a better way to phrase something.

*On top of everything else, it was hilariously outdated. :D The main character phoned the bus station and asked when the buses leave to Tartu. And when I asked the teacher what's the difference between two bus types that were mentioned in the text, she said it doesn't matter because those buses haven't been used for years... :lol: Also, everything was in kroons.

Linguaphile
Posts: 2384
Joined: 2016-09-17, 5:06

Re: Eesti keele õpperühm

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-09-29, 17:16

Naava wrote:Instead, we were writing our own texts (she gave the topics) or translating news from Finnish to Estonian and Estonian to Finnish. It was really frustrating at times, especially when the journalists had used really odd word choices or phrases, but I kinda liked it too because I could just repeat someone else's words. :mrgreen: I could do something like that again, if you'd be interested in checking the texts.

Sure! I wouldn't be able to do it as well as your teacher did, though.

Naava wrote:On top of everything else, it was hilariously outdated. :D The main character phoned the bus station and asked when the buses leave to Tartu. And when I asked the teacher what's the difference between two bus types that were mentioned in the text, she said it doesn't matter because those buses haven't been used for years... :lol: Also, everything was in kroons.

LOL!

If you are interested in actual language-learning materials, in the past couple of weeks I have posted more materials in the Estonian Language Resources thread. I imagine you saw that, but maybe you'd find something there that you could use, in this post or this post. The ones I posted today are textbooks meant to be used in Estonian schools, but they span the whole range of levels - everything from elementary-school Estonian texts meant for native Russian speakers, to high school texts meant for native Estonian speakers. They are all entirely in Estonian, but the lower-level texts have lots of pictures, the higher-level ones don't.
They are just samples of the texts, so each has only about 20 pages or so. But given that none of us have a lot of time, that might be just what we need. If I were to try to go through an entire text (of any kind) at this point I'd probably give up after about 20 pages anyway, due to having too many other things to do.

Some of the links I posted on September 20 are new and good, too. I don't know what levels you two are at though (half the time I don't even know what level I'm at, for that matter! :rotfl: Anyway lately I've mostly reviewed materials that are a bit below my actual level, to keep from forgetting it while not requiring too much mental effort. LOL) Sounds like that might be more or less what you two would be looking for too.

User avatar
Naava
Language Forum Moderator
Posts: 1108
Joined: 2012-01-17, 20:24
Gender: female
Country: FI Finland (Suomi)

Re: Eesti keele õpperühm

Postby Naava » 2019-09-29, 20:07

Linguaphile wrote:
Naava wrote:Instead, we were writing our own texts (she gave the topics) or translating news from Finnish to Estonian and Estonian to Finnish. It was really frustrating at times, especially when the journalists had used really odd word choices or phrases, but I kinda liked it too because I could just repeat someone else's words. :mrgreen: I could do something like that again, if you'd be interested in checking the texts.

Sure! I wouldn't be able to do it as well as your teacher did, though.

Thanks! :) Two heads are better than one. Besides, I'm sure I'll find more phrases and words that I don't know how to translate, so it's nice to have others to ask for help rather than just give up.

If you are interested in actual language-learning materials, in the past couple of weeks I have posted more materials in the Estonian Language Resources thread. I imagine you saw that, but maybe you'd find something there that you could use, in this post or this post.

I saw your post, but I haven't checked the links yet. I'll do that... later... I'm sure! :whistle:

The ones I posted today are textbooks meant to be used in Estonian schools, but they span the whole range of levels - everything from elementary-school Estonian texts meant for native Russian speakers, to high school texts meant for native Estonian speakers. They are all entirely in Estonian, but the lower-level texts have lots of pictures, the higher-level ones don't.

How did you find these? I'm excited. :D And also tired, so I'll read them... later. Kick me if I don't. :lol: You see what my problem with studying on my own is?

I don't know what levels you two are at though (half the time I don't even know what level I'm at, for that matter! :rotfl:

To be honest, I have no idea either. It's my first time learning a Finnic language (well, second, even though I'm not yet convinced I can speak Finnish at all) and I don't know what to think. I'm used to check how much I can understand or write in language X and then compare that to the A1-C2 level descriptions. That's worked fine with Indo-European languages, but not with Estonian. Somehow I'm at all levels at once... :lol:

Sounds like that might be more or less what you two would be looking for too.

Yes, that'd be nice. :D

Linguaphile
Posts: 2384
Joined: 2016-09-17, 5:06

Re: Eesti keele õpperühm

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-09-30, 2:35

Naava wrote:
The ones I posted today are textbooks meant to be used in Estonian schools, but they span the whole range of levels - everything from elementary-school Estonian texts meant for native Russian speakers, to high school texts meant for native Estonian speakers. They are all entirely in Estonian, but the lower-level texts have lots of pictures, the higher-level ones don't.

How did you find these? I'm excited. :D

I just came across one of them by chance because of whatever I had googled, then searched that site for other books that had "näidisleheküljed" online. There are probably more than the ones I posted, too.

Naava wrote:It's my first time learning a Finnic language (well, second, even though I'm not yet convinced I can speak Finnish at all)

Which is maybe funny, maybe sad, and definitely discouraging for us non-Finnish speakers. :mrgreen:

Naava wrote:I'm used to check how much I can understand or write in language X and then compare that to the A1-C2 level descriptions. That's worked fine with Indo-European languages, but not with Estonian. Somehow I'm at all levels at once... :lol:

Oh yeah, I'm at all levels too! Plus my reading/writing is above my listening/speaking, and besides that, my reading is much better than my writing but my speaking is often better than my listening and it depends on the context and the topic and the speaker and how quickly they are speaking and how much slang is used and how I feel that day and....

Linguaphile
Posts: 2384
Joined: 2016-09-17, 5:06

Re: Eesti keele õpperühm

Postby Linguaphile » 2019-11-24, 18:58

If anyone is interested in a study group using any of these materials (or any others you have), let me know! We can create one here. I've used most of these materials before, and can answer questions, or go through them again along with you, as a review.

Online courses (since these include feedback from a teacher, I'm not sure how useful a "study group" would be in adding to that, but just in case....) NB: Flash needs to be enabled on these sites and registration is required (but simple and free).
Keelekliik - level 0-A2 (consists of 16 chapters including animations, grammar videos, exercises and tests)
Keeletee - level B1 (consists of 13 chapters including authentic interviews, grammar videos, exercises and tests)

Image Image


Texts:
E Nagu Eesti - levels A1-A2-B1 (text; companion website has a few related resources)
K Nagu Kihnu - level B2 (text; companion website has a few related resources)
T Nagu Tallinn - level B2 (older text, no companion site)

Image
Image


Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest