Future of Estonian, Finnish and Hungarian subforums

Moderator:aaakknu

What should we do with Estonian, Finnish and Hungarian subforums?

Poll ended at 2018-03-24, 13:10

Merge them and create a common Uralic forum
4%
Keep them separate and reserve the Uralic forum only to minority Uralic languages
96%

Total votes: 25

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator
Future of Estonian, Finnish and Hungarian subforums

Postby aaakknu » 2018-03-07, 13:10

Here is a very important discussion concerning the future of these subforums: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=52635 (look at the last pages)

There was a suggestion to merge all the three subforums and make a general "Uralic languages" subforum. I and other users of our subforum(s) have already expressed their opinion in that discussion, but in case you visit only language-specific subforums and haven't seen it yet, I write about it here.

I think that these languages, being national languages of independed states and having many active Unilang users interested in them, deserve forums of their own.

What do you think about it? Please vote and express your opinion here or in the thread I linked to above.

If you have another suggestion, not listed in the poll variants, write about it here and I'll include it as an option.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

ainurakne

Re: Future of Estonian, Finnish and Hungarian subforums

Postby ainurakne » 2018-03-09, 7:48

I would have understood if they wanted to merge Finnic languages. But lumping together all Uralic languages seems a bit too much. After all, it's a lot of very different languages.

Nonetheless what ever happens in the end, I doubt it will change my life in any way.
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-03-09, 17:15

And in the Uralic forum reserved to the minority languages, couldn’t we have some sub-forums or some organisation for the threads of the different languages? Like for Votic, Karelian, etc :hmm: Or do we have to put all the threads inside corresponding to different languages, « mélangés » ?

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-03-10, 10:13

Antea wrote:And in the Uralic forum reserved to the minority languages, couldn’t we have some sub-forums or some organisation for the threads of the different languages? Like for Votic, Karelian, etc :hmm: Or do we have to put all the threads inside corresponding to different languages, « mélangés » ?

I don't know if it's possible to organize it like that. Maybe you should ask the admins. Somebody asked about this before, but I don't remember what the answer was.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-03-10, 10:18

Should I wait for more votes, or can I already write about the results in the "Subforums management discussion"?
TAC 2019

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-10, 10:26

Irusia wrote:Should I wait for more votes, or can I already write about the results in the "Subforums management discussion"?

Talking about them won't hurt, the sooner the better (at least IMHO). :D
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2018-03-10, 10:38

I agree. It also seems unlikely we'd get enough voters to change the result even if we waited a year.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-03-10, 15:20

atalarikt wrote:
Irusia wrote:Should I wait for more votes, or can I already write about the results in the "Subforums management discussion"?

Talking about them won't hurt, the sooner the better (at least IMHO). :D

I agree. Maybe over there they'll say we should wait longer, but at least they'll know what people here have said. I should probably do the same with the results of the survey on the Saami forum.
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-03-10, 16:22

It can't hurt to talk about the results, but it is possible some users only check the forum every few days. As I said to Linguaphile on the thread in the Info subforum, it can't hurt to wait at least a week before making a determination.

Though given these results, it'll take something crazy to knock out those 15 votes. :P

Irusia wrote:
Antea wrote:And in the Uralic forum reserved to the minority languages, couldn’t we have some sub-forums or some organisation for the threads of the different languages? Like for Votic, Karelian, etc :hmm: Or do we have to put all the threads inside corresponding to different languages, « mélangés » ?

I don't know if it's possible to organize it like that. Maybe you should ask the admins. Somebody asked about this before, but I don't remember what the answer was.

It seems it's possible, given what Luís has said before. But the question is, how would that work, and what would it look like.

Personally, I like the idea (especially for the "bigger" subforums, like mine), but we'd have to hash a few things out first.

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2018-03-12, 8:48

I added the link to the poll on my global announcement.
TAC 2019

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-03-15, 0:35

If anyone here is interested in the "other" Uralic languages which may someday have their own forum (i.e., Uralic languages besides Estonian, Finnish, and Hungarian), this list of links to various threads on Unilang (currently scattered in various forums) was created in the UL Uralic Café and I'd thought I'd post it here.

Uralic (general):
Uralic Languages Word-Association Game
Uralic Music
UL Uralic Café

Finno-Ugric (general)
Same Topic About Finno-Ugric Languages

Saamic (has its own forum)

Finnic (1)
Finnic (2)
Finnic (3)
Finnic (4)
UL Finnic Cafe (on the General Languages forum)
-- Finnish (has its own forum)
-- Estonian (has its own forum)
-- Karelian (Finnic thread)
-- Karelian (new thread)
-- Veps (Finnic thread)
-- Ingrian (Finnic thread)

-- Votic / Votian
-- Ludic
-- Livonian
-- Livonian (resources)
-- Livonian (on the General Language Forum)
-- Võro (thread on Estonian forum)

Mordvinic (Erzya, Moksha)
-- Erzya
-- Moksha

Mari
-- Meadow Mari
-- Hill Mari

Permic (Komi, Udmurt)
-- Komi
-- Udmurt

Hungarian (has its own forum)

Ob-Ugric (Khanty, Mansi)
Khanty and Mansi (on the Hungarian forum)
-- Mansi
-- Khanty

Samoyedic
-- Nenets
-- Enets
-- Selkup
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-03-22, 5:12

So it has been two weeks, and the results of the poll at this point seem fairly conclusive. :yep:
I posted a comment in the Language Subforums Management Discussion thread to share the results of the poll with those who are discussion this sort of thing over there.

atalarikt

Postby atalarikt » 2018-03-22, 5:14

Linguaphile wrote:So it has been two weeks, and the results of the poll at this point seem fairly conclusive. :yep:
I posted a comment in the Language Subforums Management Discussion thread to share the results of the poll with those who are discussion this sort of thing over there.

Thank you very much!
وَمِنْ آيَاتِهِ خَلْقُ السَّمَاوَاتِ وَالْأَرْضِ وَاخْتِلَافُ أَلْسِنَتِكُمْ وَأَلْوَانِكُمْ ۚ إِنَّ فِي ذَٰلِكَ لَآيَاتٍ لِلْعَالِمِينَ۝
"And of His signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth and the diversity of your languages and your colors. Indeed in that are signs for those of knowledge." (Ar-Rum: 22)

Jika saya salah, mohon diperbaiki. If I make some mistake(s), please correct me.
Forever indebted to Robert A. Blust for his contributions to Austronesian linguistics

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”