Words for lgbt related things in Estonian

Moderator:aaakknu

nleor623
Words for lgbt related things in Estonian

Postby nleor623 » 2017-11-25, 7:46

Tere!
I'm wondering if anyone, either through their own research/experience in Estonia or as native speakers can help me out with terms for lgbt related things, or if there are any websites (in Estonian, so that I could try and use context to figure it out). What are the words for gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender, as well as straight/heterosexual, and if there are multiple words, what are the connotations of different ones?
For instance, I have trouble finding a translation for "transgender" except for in google translate, which gives me "transseksuaal". While plenty of English speakers use "transexual" it's actually quite derogatory (although certain people prefer to use it for themselves still). Is there another word in Estonian, or if not, does it not have the same connotation? I also saw somewhere that a possible word for "gay" was just "homo" which could also be derogatory in English depending on context, but I know that doesn't necessarily mean that it would mean the same translated. Any information along these lines would be appreciated :).

ainurakne

Re: Words for lgbt related things in Estonian

Postby ainurakne » 2017-11-25, 8:31

I may be wrong, but I have had the impression that the most neutral would be gei, then comes homo (which could indeed be a bit derogatory) which I think is mostly used for men, and lesbi (or lesbar - derogatory) for women. And then probably the most commonly used of them, but also derogatory and a curse word for general: pede (I think, this goes mainly for men).

I guess transseksuaal is correct, at least I think I haven't heard anything else. Although I haven't heard this one very often either. For straight, I would say just hetero and for bisexual probably biseksuaal.

But I have come in contact with such words in Estonian much less than in English, so if anyone has a better overview of them, please do correct me.
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2017-11-25, 17:21

ainurakne wrote:I guess transseksuaal is correct, at least I think I haven't heard anything else. Although I haven't heard this one very often either.

transsooline, transinimene, trans
I also found this link: Soovitusi sõnakasutuseks (Recommended word usage)

nleor623

Postby nleor623 » 2017-11-28, 0:49

Thanks--I've been able to find a few articles and websites now that I know what words to search. "Transsooline" seems to be most used when trans people are talking about themselves. I also found soovahetus, but I think that's specifically referring to surgery. Thanks for the link @linguaphile, I've been on that site before but only in English, so I didn't see that.

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”