Need help - small text translation

Moderator:aaakknu

DukeThylacine
Need help - small text translation

Postby DukeThylacine » 2017-01-28, 15:13

Tere inimesed! :D

I'm (very) new to this forum...basically created the account to ask this question because I don't know any Estonians on the internet (but will definitely take a look around as this forum is really interesting). Anyway...

I'm a very big fan of an Estonian folk-metal band called Metsatöll and since I'm about to buy my first bass guitar and start learning, I want to learn bass lines for (some) Metsatöll songs. The problem is that I can't find them anywhere (while searching in English), so I was wondering to ask for bass tabs on their official FB page hoping their fans will see. Beside the text in English, I want to post that same text in Estonian (in case some of them don't know English). So I was wondering if you guys could translate that text for me :ohwell:

This is the text:
"Hello! Does anyone know where I can find bass tabs for Metsatöll songs? Thanks in advance!
Also, if you could post your reply in English, I would be very thankful."

Hope you guys can help me out. Thanks in advance :)

PS: the avatar I'm using is used by that band; I also haven't found its meaning anywhere. Does anyone know what it represents? (it's probably a pagan symbol linked to Estonian mythology).
Native: (sr)
Fluent: (en-GB)/(en-US)
Barely managing basic conversation: (de) | (ru)
Interesting languages/Want to learn: (fi) | (et)

Linguaphile

Re: Need help - small text translation

Postby Linguaphile » 2017-01-29, 0:31

DukeThylacine wrote:This is the text:
"Hello! Does anyone know where I can find bass tabs for Metsatöll songs? Thanks in advance!
Also, if you could post your reply in English, I would be very thankful."

Hope you guys can help me out. Thanks in advance :)

PS: the avatar I'm using is used by that band; I also haven't found its meaning anywhere. Does anyone know what it represents? (it's probably a pagan symbol linked to Estonian mythology).

I would say something like this:
Tere! Kas keegi teab, kust ma võiksin Metsatöllu laulude bassi tabulatuure leida? Ette tänades!
Oleksin väga tänulik, kui te kirjutaksite oma vastuse inglise keeles.

I'm not sure it's correct, but hopefully if I post my attempt here, others will take a look at my attempt and improve it into something that you can use. :D
As for the logo, no idea. It definitely seems to be meant to represent or imitate the old Estonian folkloric style but I don't know of a specific meaning for it. I googled it and found this: http://www.folk-metal.nl/interviews/met ... interview/ where it sounds like the band itself doesn't have a specific meaning for it. Maybe four M's with some extra pieces, maybe a windmill. :D
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2017-01-29, 8:13

Hello and welcome!

I think Linguaphile's translation is already good enough.

Also, I couldn't find much about the logo in Estonian either. Either people didn't know what it means or also the story of four M-s was tossed around. Someone though it could be stylized claw marks.

But I also found this:
Metsatöllu "Haisutrummi" logo
See embleem on meie klubi kingitus bändile Metsatöll, nende 9.ndaks sünnipäevaks! Kannavad seda kõik bändiliikmed ja need klubilised, kes tunnistavad Töllud oma konkurentsituks lemmikbändiks!
Metsatöll's "Smelly-Drum"s logo
This emblem is our club's gift to the band Metsatöll for their 9th birthday! It is worn by all members of the band and those clubsters (club members) who think of the band as their absolute favorite!

But I'm not sure whether they mean combining the logo with paw prints or did they made up the whole thing.

There was also some story about a hand-made drum (given as a gift) which had some problems or miscalculations during the making of it, so now it smells all the time.
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

DukeThylacine

Postby DukeThylacine » 2017-01-29, 17:53

Thanks for replying guys!

I asked the question on their FB page and the band did respond....saying they don't have tabs :(
Ah well...I'll have to learn from YT videos somehow xD

And thanks for the help around the logo as well!
Native: (sr)
Fluent: (en-GB)/(en-US)
Barely managing basic conversation: (de) | (ru)
Interesting languages/Want to learn: (fi) | (et)

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”