Untranslatable words / tõlkimatuid sõnu

Moderator: Salajane

Linguaphile

Re: Untranslatable words / tõlkimatuid sõnu

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-11-22, 18:44

I'm not sure whether to put this one here or on the Sõnad, mida hiljuti õppisid thread.

ekraniseerima to adapt a literary work into a film; to make a movie from a literary work
In Russian it's экранизировать (which I'm sure must the source of the word in Estonian as well, especially given the way it's spelled), but if there is an English word that means exactly the same thing, I don't know what it is. Maybe to dramatize is close enough? (Is ekraniseerima always from a literary work? The EKSS definition indicates that it is: kirjandusteose alusel filmi valmistama. Hakati ekraniseerima L. Tolstoi „Sõda ja rahu”. So what if you are making a movie dramatizing real-life events that haven't been made into a "literary work" - could you also use ekraniseerima then?
Ekraniseering would be a film adaptation or dramatization of a literary work.

Prantsis

Postby Prantsis » 2018-11-22, 19:33

Linguaphile wrote:but if there is an English word that means exactly the same thing, I don't know what it is. Maybe to dramatize is close enough?

to bring [a work] to the screen?

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-11-23, 3:24

Prantsis wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:but if there is an English word that means exactly the same thing, I don't know what it is. Maybe to dramatize is close enough?

to bring [a work] to the screen?

You are right, or even more colloquially (and more common) "to bring [a work] to the big screen".
Aitäh!

ükssakslane

Postby ükssakslane » 2018-11-26, 21:13

Võbelus või võbelema = approximately "to shiver very gently, hardly noticeably"

Minu teades ei ole selleks inglise tõlge, aga ma võin eksida...
Google arvab, et seda tähendab 'wander' mis on kindlasti vale.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-11-27, 1:24

ükssakslane wrote:Võbelus või võbelema = approximately "to shiver very gently, hardly noticeably"

Minu teades ei ole selleks inglise tõlge, aga ma võin eksida...
Google arvab, et seda tähendab 'wander' mis on kindlasti vale.

Yeah, definitely not "wander." Google Translate doesn't really know Estonian, it just thinks it does.* :mrgreen:
I think you're right that võbelus and võbelema don't have exact equivalents in English. One of my dictionaries suggests flicker as a translation, another suggestions quiver and tremble, another shiver, another shimmer. These all seem to be fairly good translations but in English they don't seem to have quite the same connotation and they are also rather different from each other ("flicker" and "shimmer" for light; "quiver" and "shiver" for motion; "quiver" and "shake" for sound/voice) - I don't think English has any word that combines those meanings.

Võbelev leek = a flickering flame
Vana televiisori pilt võbeleb tugevasti. = the old television's picture flickers strongly/severely / the old tv screen really flickers a lot.
Mõõteriistade osutid võbelesid. = the needle on the measuring device shivered / the meter's needle quivered
Puulehed võbelevad vaevumärgatavas tuules. = the leaves quivered in the slightest (lit. barely-noticeable) wind
Hääles võbeles hirm. = his voice quivered/shook with fear (lit. in the voice quivered fear)

*speaking of Google Translate, just for fun I put the sentences above into Google Translate to see what it would come up with, and got this delightful gem (see my own translations above for comparison):
-- Original Estonian: Mõõteriistade osutid võbelesid.
-- Google Translate's translation: Instrument handles for doorbells. :noclue:
Also:
-- Original: Puulehed võbelevad vaevumärgatavas tuules.
-- Google Translate: The boulevards are scratching in a barely noticeable wind. :noclue:
And:
-- Original: Hääles võbeles hirm
-- Google Translate: Waiting for the wings of fear :noclue:
:dunno: :lolhuh:
I mean it does get a word or two right in each phrase, but... that's about it.
:ohwell:
Google Translate is fun!

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-12-09, 19:30

How about loivama?
to move with the help of flippers; to creep, to crawl, to slog, to plod, to move slowly
I think it's the relation to loib that makes me see this as difficult to translate. Nad loivasid gives me a different sort of image than he crawled or he plodded does, so those translations don't seem quite right.

Prantsis

Postby Prantsis » 2018-12-14, 1:46

Linguaphile wrote:How about loivama?
to move with the help of flippers; to creep, to crawl, to slog, to plod, to move slowly
I think it's the relation to loib that makes me see this as difficult to translate. Nad loivasid gives me a different sort of image than he crawled or he plodded does, so those translations don't seem quite right.

I would have said to drag oneself (at least, that's what I'd say in French: se traîner), but it doesn't seem very different from the translations you gave.

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”