Tiina equivalent to Melissa?

Moderator:aaakknu

Naava
Forum Administrator
Re: Tiina equivalent to Melissa?

Postby Naava » 2017-07-06, 6:58

Linguaphile, I like your translations. I can't decide which one is my favourite - maybe E. Squishy's touching poem about hollows and hatchets.

Let's see what I'll get.

Estonian -> English gives me
"A dull-looking, hollow-hole stick saw on the hollow body. E. Särgava."
...?

Let's try next Estonian -> Finnish because hey maybe google could handle it better?
"Taskmaster kimmoisa Pihlakas suhahtaa seuran toi puoli-kuollut sielu. E. Särgava."
-> Taskmaster (definitely a Finnish word) springy Pihlakas whishes the company brought by a half dead soul.

Ok.

It's also strange how it gives different translations when you add words there one by one vs when you add the complete sentence.
And the translation changes when the language changes. Apparently "pihlakas" is "Tricky" in English but "rowan" in Finnish. :D I love google translate!

Ps. I still like Linguaphile's translations more than mine.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2017-07-06, 7:27

Naava wrote:Linguaphile, I like your translations. I can't decide which one is my favourite - maybe E. Squishy's touching poem about hollows and hatchets.

Yes, that one has such lovely alliteration, doesn't it?
"a hatchet hatchet hatchet hinged on the hollow of a hollow" :mrgreen:
We could invent a whole new genre: "Google Translate poetry."

Naava wrote:Let's see what I'll get.

Estonian -> English gives me
"A dull-looking, hollow-hole stick saw on the hollow body. E. Särgava."
...?

Let's try next Estonian -> Finnish because hey maybe google could handle it better?
"Taskmaster kimmoisa Pihlakas suhahtaa seuran toi puoli-kuollut sielu. E. Särgava."
-> Taskmaster (definitely a Finnish word) springy Pihlakas whishes the company brought by a half dead soul.

Ok.

I love how your Finnish translation has an English word that didn't show up in the English translation. (And a randomly-capitalized Pihlakas, too.)

Naava wrote:It's also strange how it gives different translations when you add words there one by one vs when you add the complete sentence.
And the translation changes when the language changes. Apparently "pihlakas" is "Tricky" in English but "rowan" in Finnish. :D I love google translate!

Ps. I still like Linguaphile's translations more than mine.

No, yours are great! :rotfl:
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

littlepond

Postby littlepond » 2017-07-06, 8:23

I guess "squishy" is quite often associated with "hollow", and "smooth" with "hatchet", so as to make those different translations of the author name.
Yeah, Google Translate can produce some lovely poetry in the absurd genre!
[flag=]hi[/flag] born in it, [flag=]en[/flag] first love, [flag=]fr[/flag] can discuss philosophy in it, [flag=]gu[/flag] can hear garba all night long, [flag=]it[/flag] can just about manage in it, [flag=]de[/flag] remnants of forgotten basics, [flag=]et[/flag] learning with zest, [flag=]sa[/flag] was in school and now want to re-learn, [flag=]no[/flag][flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag][flag=]ta[/flag] next on radar

Lumilintu

Postby Lumilintu » 2019-06-13, 19:12

I know, I'm a bit late... :whistle:

But I just stumbled upon this thread and just thought I have to leave this link here: https://www.stat.ee/public/apps/nimed/
On that website, you can search for statistics of names in Estonia. Just search for a name and it gives you the number of men or women who carry this name. In addition to that, it also shows the distribution of the name according to age, place of living and the month of birth.

Might come in handy if you're not sure about what gender to associate with an Estonian name. :wink:

ainurakne wrote:Aive seems to be so rare that I hadn't even heard it before. :oops:

Now that stroke me as really odd. :shock:
To me Aive sounds a bit old-fashioned and it might not be the most common name, but I know at least one Aive personally and definitely have also heard the name in other contexts.
I also looked it up on the statistics page, it has about the same distribution as my own name. I'd say they both fall into the category "not among the most common names, but yet names Estonians have heard before/would recognize as Estonian names". Just like some of the before-mentioned names, e.g. Agu or Madli.
Image native mother tongue | Image wannabe mother tongue
Image speaking | Image Image Image studying | Image some day...

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-03-26, 6:53

Lumilintu wrote:I know, I'm a bit late... :whistle:

But I just stumbled upon this thread and just thought I have to leave this link here: https://www.stat.ee/public/apps/nimed/
On that website, you can search for statistics of names in Estonia. Just search for a name and it gives you the number of men or women who carry this name. In addition to that, it also shows the distribution of the name according to age, place of living and the month of birth.

Might come in handy if you're not sure about what gender to associate with an Estonian name. :wink:

ainurakne wrote:Aive seems to be so rare that I hadn't even heard it before. :oops:

Now that stroke me as really odd. :shock:
To me Aive sounds a bit old-fashioned and it might not be the most common name, but I know at least one Aive personally and definitely have also heard the name in other contexts.
I also looked it up on the statistics page, it has about the same distribution as my own name. I'd say they both fall into the category "not among the most common names, but yet names Estonians have heard before/would recognize as Estonian names". Just like some of the before-mentioned names, e.g. Agu or Madli.

I just came across this page again and thought I'd post the updated link, since the link above no longer works but the site is still there:
Nimede statistika
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

Naava
Forum Administrator

Re: Google'i tõlge

Postby Naava » 2022-03-26, 14:53

Linguaphile wrote:Original: *.. kupja vetruva pihlakase kepi nähvak tõi poolsurnule hinge sisse .. E. Särgava.

I decided to try and see if the meaning of this sentence had changed since the last time. And yes, yes it had! Here's what it means now:

Estonian -> Finnish:
Möykkyisen kevätmarjan purema toi puolikuolleen hengityksen.
The bite of a lumpy springberry brought with it the breath of a/the half-dead [person].

Estonian -> English:
The bite of a sticky springberry brought a half-dead breath.

...at least the Finnish translation doesn't have English in it anymore. That counts as an improvement, right?

// Edit: I noticed Google translate tried to correct my spelling and write poolsurnule as pool surnule. If I let it separate the words, the translation changes:

Estonian -> Finnish:
Tahmean kevätmarjan purema toi puolet kuolleista sieluun.
The bite of a sticky springberry brought half of the dead into the soul.

// Edit #2: I wrote this post on my phone, which made me curious to see if I'd get a different translation on my laptop. Lo and behold...

Estonian -> Finnish (laptop)
tahmean kevätmarjan paskiainen toi puolikuolleen hengityksen
the bastard of a sticky springberry brought the breath of a/the half-dead [person]

And if written as pool surnule:
tahmean kevätmarjan pamaus toi puolet kuolleiden sielusta
the bang of a sticky springberry brought half of the soul of [each] dead [person]

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-03-26, 18:47

Naava wrote:
Linguaphile wrote:Original: *.. kupja vetruva pihlakase kepi nähvak tõi poolsurnule hinge sisse .. E. Särgava.

I decided to try and see if the meaning of this sentence had changed since the last time. And yes, yes it had! Here's what it means now:

Estonian -> Finnish:
Möykkyisen kevätmarjan purema toi puolikuolleen hengityksen.
The bite of a lumpy springberry brought with it the breath of a/the half-dead [person].

Estonian -> English:
The bite of a sticky springberry brought a half-dead breath.

...at least the Finnish translation doesn't have English in it anymore. That counts as an improvement, right?

// Edit: I noticed Google translate tried to correct my spelling and write poolsurnule as pool surnule. If I let it separate the words, the translation changes:

Estonian -> Finnish:
Tahmean kevätmarjan purema toi puolet kuolleista sieluun.
The bite of a sticky springberry brought half of the dead into the soul.

// Edit #2: I wrote this post on my phone, which made me curious to see if I'd get a different translation on my laptop. Lo and behold...

Estonian -> Finnish (laptop)
tahmean kevätmarjan paskiainen toi puolikuolleen hengityksen
the bastard of a sticky springberry brought the breath of a/the half-dead [person]

And if written as pool surnule:
tahmean kevätmarjan pamaus toi puolet kuolleiden sielusta
the bang of a sticky springberry brought half of the soul of [each] dead [person]

:rotfl:
I'm wondering about that springberry, though. At first I thought maybe "springberry" was an alternate name for "rowan". But actually I think it's getting the "spring" part from vetruva and the "berry" part maybe from pihlakase :?: since rowans have berry-like fruits, and deciding to put them together for our entertainment. :noclue:

In the thread in the "what made you laugh" thread I posted this, which I thought I'd posted here before in some form but can't find already so I'll post it again in this forum, too:

In Estonian there is a rather well-known poorly-Google-translated Navy song for which we have historical data. :wink:
Here is the song (I'm just posting the refrain because that's the only part for which there is that "historical data"):

Original:
Jää vabaks, Eesti meri,
jää vabaks, Eesti pind!
Siis tuisku ega tormi
ei karda Eesti rind.

Actual meaning (me):
► Show Spoiler

Google's translation in March of 2009 went viral:

Google tried to fix it. By December of 2009 had been "improved" to this:
► Show Spoiler

February 2010, still trying...
► Show Spoiler

November 2010:
► Show Spoiler

The ice and the boobs didn't disappear until sometime around May 2015:
► Show Spoiler

Current translation from Google (March 2022):
► Show Spoiler

This also led to this discussion (below) about "Eesti rind"; does anyone have any thoughts on how it should be translated? I could not find any genuine English translation for this song, everything just references the google ones, and some sources online identify the current one as "correct". It's close, but I wonder if by saying it's correct it's more like saying "Okay Google, you can stop messing with it now, please just leave it alone before you make it worse again". :mrgreen:

Linguaphile wrote:
dEhiN wrote:Why the mix up between ice and stay, and blizzard and boobs? Are those pairs of homonyms?

"Ice" and "stay" are homonyms (jää as a noun means "ice", and as a verb form means "stay" or "remain").
"Blizzard" is tuisk(u) and doesn't have another meaning, but the issue causing the problem is the word rind at the very end, which means "front, bosom, breast, chest" (etc), including things like military or political fronts (and boobs, but it's not slang). So "Eesti rind" means "Estonian front", but here it just refers to something along the lines of facing the storms or maybe the military sense since it's a military song. It could have been left out if it were not for the desire to rhyme with pind, so I felt it works better untranslated (i.e., translated just as "Estonia"). I can see why Google had trouble; I debated myself whether to translate it as "the Estonian front will have no fear" or "Estonia will not face [a blizzard or storm] with fear" or just "Estonia will not fear".

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2022-03-27, 22:40

Linguaphile wrote:
I'm wondering about that springberry, though. At first I thought maybe "springberry" was an alternate name for "rowan". But actually I think it's getting the "spring" part from vetruva and the "berry" part maybe from pihlakase :?: since rowans have berry-like fruits, and deciding to put them together for our entertainment. :noclue:

No idea. :silly:

In Estonian there is a rather well-known poorly-Google-translated Navy song for which we have historical data. :wink:

That's amazing! And hilarious :lol:

This also led to this discussion (below) about "Eesti rind"; does anyone have any thoughts on how it should be translated?

Well, I don't know enough Estonian to say if it's the same there, but at least in Finnish we feel emotions in our chests (rinta). I suppose "heart" might be a good translation for that in English? Here's some examples from Google:

► Show Spoiler

There's also this military march, Jäger March, composed in 1917 by Sibelius. Here's the lines that I was reminded of when I read the Estonian military song:

► Show Spoiler

And because of all that, I thought the Estonian song would also mean "the hearts of Estonians won't be startled by winds nor storms". Now that I've read your explanation about rind and how it can mean "front", I wonder if the lyrics could have double meaning or if I was just wrong... :hmm:

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-03-28, 0:41

Naava wrote:And because of all that, I thought the Estonian song would also mean "the hearts of Estonians won't be startled by winds nor storms". Now that I've read your explanation about rind and how it can mean "front", I wonder if the lyrics could have double meaning or if I was just wrong... :hmm:

Yes, it could be! I think it was included in order to rhyme with pind, so I feel like it could be any of those, or a double meaning, like you said.

By the way, it occurred to me to try the original sentence that started this thread - "Tiina abiellub rootslasega". Google translates it correctly now, "Tiina is marrying a Swede." But.... under the Estonian sentence, it says: "Did you mean Tiina abiellun rootslasega?"and it also translates that as "Tiina is marrying a Swede." :ohwell:

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2022-04-19, 9:04

"Chest /heart" was my first thought too when I read that verse.
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”