Mis on kõige pikem sõna eesti keeles?

Moderator:aaakknu

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator
Mis on kõige pikem sõna eesti keeles?

Postby aaakknu » 2016-01-11, 21:48

Täna ma lugesin üks raamatut soome keele kohta, ja seal oli üks näide väga pika sõna: järjestelmällistyttämättömyydellänsäkään ‘not even with his/her lack of
systematization’. Ma tahan teada kas sellised sõnad on ka eesti keeles?
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

sergejsibilev

Re: Mis on kõige pikem sõna eesti keeles?

Postby sergejsibilev » 2016-01-11, 22:00

Irusia wrote:Täna ma lugesin üks raamatut soome keele kohta, ja seal oli üks näide väga pika sõna: järjestelmällistyttämättömyydellänsäkään ‘not even with his/her lack of

Mina leidsin seda: Elevandilondikondiüdi. See on eesti sõnastikus.
[flag=]ru[/flag]native [flag=]fr[/flag]C2 [flag=]sv[/flag]B1 [flag=]et[/flag]A2 [flag=]en[/flag]A1

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2016-01-15, 14:00

Kõige lihtsam on vast moodustada pikki liitsõnu. Liitsõnadeks saad kokku kirjutada peaaegu igasuguseid sõnu, kui vaid suudad ära põhjendada, miks nad tuleb kokku kirjutada. :P

Peamiselt kirjutatakse sõnad kokku siis, kui tulemusena tekib uus mõiste, mingit kindlat tüüpi asi. Näiteks:
"suure puu leht" (leaf of a large tree) vs. "suur puuleht" (large tree-leaf; tree-leaf is a specific type of leaf)

Üks tuntuim liitsõna, mis on samas ka palindroom, on vast:
"kuulilennuteetunneliluuk"

kuul - bullet, non-soft ball
lend - flight
tee - path, road, way
> lennutee - flight path, trajectory
tunnel - tunnel
luuk - hatch

> kuulilennuteetunneliluuk - the hatch of the tunnel of the flight path of a/the bullet

Aga selliseid sõnu, mis ei oleks liitsõnad, vaid lihtsalt kasutaksid mitmesuguseid liiteid, vist ei saa nii pikki teha kui soome keeles. Soome keeles on tunduvalt rohkem liiteid olemas kui eesti keeles.

Kuid midagi võib siiski välja mõelda. Näiteks "tegema" (to do):
  1. active present participle: tegev - doing (the one that is doing), active (the one that is active)
  2. turn it into a noun that describes activity: tegevus - action, activity, what can be done, what is being done
  3. add -tu suffix that indicates lack of a property: tegevusetu - idle, the one that doesn't do anything, the one that has nothing to do
  4. now turn that into a noun again: tegevusetus - idleness, inaction, inactivity
  5. put that in comitative case: tegevusetusega - with idleness/inactivity
  6. add -gi/ki suffix: tegevusetusegagi - even with idleness/inactivity

"tegevusetusegagi" ei ole just väga pikk, kuid sisaldab sellegipoolest palju informatsiooni.
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2016-02-21, 20:53

Tänan!
Здайся на Господа у твоїх справах, і задуми твої здійсняться. (Приповідки 16, 3)
TAC 2019

aaakknu
Language Forum Moderator

Postby aaakknu » 2016-02-21, 21:01

ainurakne wrote:[*]add -gi/ki suffix: tegevusetusegagi - even with idleness/inactivity[/list]

How common are such words?
TAC 2019

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2016-03-12, 15:58

Võta heaks!
Irusia wrote:
ainurakne wrote:add -gi/ki suffix: tegevusetusegagi - even with idleness/inactivity

How common are such words?
"Tegevusetus" is not at all a rare word. So, finding it in different cases and having "-gi/ki" suffix appended to it, is not rare either.

I think actually most native words in Estonian are some kind of derivatives or composites of shorter and simpler words, even if it doesn't seem obvious at first.
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2016-09-24, 22:29

Irusia wrote:Täna ma lugesin üks raamatut soome keele kohta, ja seal oli üks näide väga pika sõna: järjestelmällistyttämättömyydellänsäkään ‘not even with his/her lack of

Tuletõrjekompaniitervishoiukindlustuskassalaekur.
But you won't find it in the dictionary, just in a book by Alexander Theroux.
I think it's not actually quite normal to make this all one word, but it's:
Tule+tõrje+kompanii+tervishoiu+kindlustus+kassa+laekur = treasurer of the firefighters' company health insurance fund

tuletõrje = fire department; firefighters (as an organization)
kompanii = company
tervishoiu < tervishoid = healthcare
kindlustus = insurance
kassa = fund
laekur = treasurer

The ones that really fascinate me are the ones with triple or quadruple letters, like jäääär (jää+äär, edge of the ice), pulmaaastapäev (pulma+aasta+päev, wedding anniversary), kutseeetika (kutse+eetika, work ethics), plekkkarp (plekk+karp, tin box). (I'm easily amused.) :whistle:
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2016-09-25, 6:52

Compounds with lots of different vowels in a row are probably also "interesting" for foreigners to pronounce.

For example õueaiaäär (õue+aia+äär, edge of a yard's fence):
õue - gen. of õu (yard)
aia - gen. of aed (=tara in this context: fence)
äär (edge)

I also found this by googling:
Ao äia õe uue oaõieaia õueaua ööau.
Ao - gen. of Agu (a male name, also means dawn)
äia - gen. of äi (father-in-law)
õe - gen. of õde (sister)
uue - gen. of uus (new)
oa - gen. of uba (bean)
õie - gen. of õis (flower, bloom, blossom)
aia - gen. of aed (garden in this context)
õue - gen. of õu (yard)
aua (dog in children's language, also actually gen. in this context)
öö (night, also actually gen. in this context)
au (honour)

:D

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2016-09-25, 8:02

ainurakne wrote:Ao äia õe uue oaõieaia õueaua ööau.

I've heard people say that Estonian is like drunken Finnish but I've never understood why. I see the point now... :lol:

Thanks for translating that btw. I've seen it before but couldn't figure out what is going on there - too many words I've never seen before. Also, I think aua is the same words as hauva in Finnish and that made me so very happy for some reason. What a cute word to have!

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2016-09-25, 15:33

ainurakne wrote:Compounds with lots of different vowels in a row are probably also "interesting" for foreigners to pronounce.

For example õueaiaäär (õue+aia+äär, edge of a yard's fence):
õue - gen. of õu (yard)
aia - gen. of aed (=tara in this context: fence)
äär (edge)

How about aiaäärne? Because the title of the song ""Meil aiaäärne tänavas" is usually translated to English as "Our Childhood Village Lane," some time ago I got the idea that aiaäärne was an adjective specifically meaning "childhood village." But Saagpakk's dictionary simply says "near or close to the fence" for aiaäärne and "grass strip between the road and the fence" for aiaäär (EKSS aiaäär: taraäärne maariba, aiaäärne, aiaveer; Aiaääred peavad olema umbrohust puhtad. Ja aiaäärne: Kõik aiaäärsed on korralikult niidetud. Aiaäärsed põõsad, puud.). So the literal translation of the song title must be more like "the lane along the edge of our fence".

It's a bit disappointing though - I thought the idea of aiaäärne describing a "childhood village" sounded so poetic. Does it ever have this connotation at all? I liked thinking that the childhood village is the village you see from the edges of your own yard's fence when you are little, before you've gone out into the bigger world....

aia > aed: fence
äär edge
-ne adjective-forming suffix

For anyone who wants to hear the song, or how aiaäärne is pronounced (second word of the song), here are two versions - one with written lyrics, the other a bit easier to hear the pronunciation. There are lots of versions....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G47vXyt62no
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaEJgdtDVFY
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2016-09-26, 7:06

I think for the English title they have summarized pretty much the whole poem - I'm taking this as a reference here.
Linguaphile wrote:So the literal translation of the song title must be more like "the lane along the edge of our fence".
Now, I have always had trouble with translating/deciphering poems, they are often quite vague and only make sense as whole or they could contain grammatical mistakes to make it rhyme, but I would translate (explain) it approximately:
We had a "fence-side" in the street we were living in.

meil - roughly equivalent to English to have (compare: meil on, meil oli), but since there is no verb, the actual tense (time) is unknown and must be deduced from the context (or is not important at all).
aiaäärne - fence-side*
tänavas - in a/the street

Linguaphile wrote:It's a bit disappointing though - I thought the idea of aiaäärne describing a "childhood village" sounded so poetic. Does it ever have this connotation at all?
No.

* Aiaäärne, as an adjective, refers to something that is located (either temporarily or permanently) close to or near a fence, or along a fence. When aiaäärne doesn't modify a noun then it acts kind of like a noun itself and means either the one that is close/near/along a fence (when you are talking about something specific but you omit the actual noun) or the space/area that is close/near/along a fence (when you are talking about aiaäärne in general).

Amongst your EKSS examples I also noticed "grass strip between the road and the fence", but from the lines "Küll üle aia tahtsin siis | ta kombel vaadata" I'm assuming that the child was playing inside the yard at the inner side of aiaäärne and she had (never) actually seen the outside (or at least she hadn't gone to the outside of aiaäärne by herself).

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-03-08, 2:25

This one appears on several sites as a "longest word," but it's obviously pretty contrived (not to mention nonsensical):

isapaabulinnusabakattesulesilmamunavärvivabrikukuldväravaauvahtkonnaülemapühapäevajakirinnataskusisevoodrivahe
(isa-paabu-linnu-saba-katte-sule-silma-muna-värvi-vabriku-kuld-värava-au-vaht-konna-ülema-püha-päeva-jaki-rinna-tasku-sise-voodri-vahe)
("the peacock's tail's cover feather's eyeball's color factory's golden gate's head honor guard's Sunday jacket's breast pocket's inner lining gap")

In real life I happened across these a while back - more normal than the monstrosity above, and not the longest, but good examples of word-formation:

hüvastijätutseremooniaks (hüvasti-jätu-tseremoonia-ks) ("for a farewell ceremony")
viinamarjaistandustega (viina-marja-istanduste-ga) ("with vineyards")
mosaiikbussipeatustest (mosaiik-bussi-peatuste-st) ("of bus stops decorated with mosaics")
saagikoristusmosaiigi (saagi-koristus-mosaiigi) ("mosaic about harvesting")
poolebaseaduslikult (pool-eba-seadus-liku-lt) ("semi-illegally")
allveehokinaiskonna (all-vee-hoki-nais-konna) ("of the women's underwater hockey team")

The problem sometimes is breaking them into the wrong parts, like when I ran across suveräänsus recently and initially thought it had something to do with "summer". (Honestly, it made sense at the time.) Only when I couldn't find räänsus in the dictionary did I realize I should have looked up the full word instead. (Or just plain recognized that it was a cognate and not needed the dictionary. But I was so certain about suve that it didn't occur to me not to break it into parts, and I wasn't expecting a loanword.) :roll:

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2018-03-09, 8:00

Linguaphile wrote:The problem sometimes is breaking them into the wrong parts, like when I ran across suveräänsus recently and initially thought it had something to do with "summer". (Honestly, it made sense at the time.) Only when I couldn't find räänsus in the dictionary did I realize I should have looked up the full word instead. (Or just plain recognized that it was a cognate and not needed the dictionary. But I was so certain about suve that it didn't occur to me not to break it into parts, and I wasn't expecting a loanword.) :roll:
Haha, I bet this has happened to many Estonians when they were kids. Unfortunately I can't remember any specific examples, but I'm certain I have had the very same problems with loanwords.
Sometimes even all the parts of a word make sense, so you end up believing the word means totally something else than what it really means, until you finally learn the bitter truth.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-03-10, 5:55

ainurakne wrote:Haha, I bet this has happened to many Estonians when they were kids. Unfortunately I can't remember any specific examples, but I'm certain I have had the very same problems with loanwords.
Sometimes even all the parts of a word make sense, so you end up believing the word means totally something else than what it really means, until you finally learn the bitter truth.

Salamander.... :mrgreen:

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-04-11, 0:00

These are among the longest words in the EKSS dictionary:

standardiseerimisorganisatsioon (standardization organization)
massikommunikatsioonivahend (mass-communication tool)
kopsutuberkuloosisanatoorium (pulmonary tuberculosis sanatorium)
kergejõustikumeistrivõistlused (track and field championships)
kiiruisutamismeistrivõistlused (speed-skating championships)
tehnoloogiadokumentatsioon (technological documentation)
desarmeerimisläbirääkimised (disarmament negotiations)
kaheksateistkümneaastaselt (as an eighteen-year-old)
meteoroloogiatehiskaaslane (meteorological satellite)
kohtupsühhiaatriaekspertiis (legal psychiatric expertise)
ratsionaliseerimisettepanek (labor-saving proposal)
signalisatsiooniseadmestik (burglar alarm equipment)
võrkpallimeistrivõistlused (volleyball championships)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-07-07, 6:16

I came across these today:

kartulikoorimiskummikindad (rubber gloves for peeling potatoes)
elevandilondikondiluuotsaüdi (bone marrow from the tip of the elephant's trunk's bone)
allmaaraudteejaamasisevalgustuslambisisselülitusnupp (subway station's interior lighting power button)
:D

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2020-01-25, 17:56

I didn't know there was an older, quite old, thread related to this topic, but here it is: Suured Sõnad (within the posts it clarifies that they actually mean pikimad sõnad here too, just like this thread).
But there aren't many words in that thread, and most of the ones that are there aren't entirely translated. Here's my attempt to translate those (I'm not an expert on cars by any means, or their lexicons in any language including my native one, so this is an interesting challenge for me):

topeltõõtshoobvedrustus = double wishbone suspension
järjestiklülitusega = with sequential shift (tiptronic transmission?)
käiguvahetusrežiim = gear-changing regime (for this one, this is the translation already given in the other thread, and I think it seems to be correct as is)

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2022-05-19, 3:35

Here's one I came across today that's fairly long:
täisterakaerahelbeküpsised whole grain oatmeal cookies

Not the longest, but long enough to require two hyphens on the box:

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”