hüüdmas on mu hääl

Moderator: aaakknu

Suvi

hüüdmas on mu hääl

Postby Suvi » 2012-09-23, 7:22

This is from the lyrics of an Estonian song Kuula.
Sa kuula, hüüdmas on mu hääl. I am confused about the usage of hüüdmas, because hüüdma is a -ma infinitive verb that cannot plus a -s case. Is there anyone could tell me in this sentence what kind of grammatical rules are used? Suur tänu! :)

ainurakne

Re: hüüdmas on mu hääl

Postby ainurakne » 2012-09-23, 9:16

Although the -ma form is called (and may seem similar to) an infinitive in contemporary Estonian, actually in Finnic languages the true infinitive is da-infinitive (or just infinitive), and the -ma form is the illative form of the verb. That's why there are also -mas (inessive) and -mast (elative).

These forms describe going into, being in and coming from some kind of state:
  • Lähen jooksma. - I am going (into the state of) running. or I will go (into the state of) running.
  • Olen jooksmas. - I am (in the state of) running.
  • Tulen jooksmast. - I am coming from (the state of) running.
Or going to, being in and coming from somekind of physical location where you do something:
  • Lähen metsa jooksma. - I am going (/will go) into the forest to run. or I am going (/will go) running in the forest.
  • Olen metsas jooksmas. - I am running in the forest. (/I am in the forest, running.)
  • Tulen metsast jooksmast. - I am coming from the forest where I was running.

So 'Sa kuula, hüüdmas on mu hääl' can be translated simply as:
Listen! My voice is calling/yelling. (couldn't find a better translation for hüüdma)
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2012-09-24, 10:17

Actually for pure state changes, it would be better to use hakkama and lakkama, because minema (to go) and tulema (to come) are inevitably associated with somekind of physical movement.
  • hakkama ~ become, begin, going to, etc...
  • lakkama - cease
For example:
  • hakkab olema ~ it's going to be
  • lakkab olemast ~ it ceases to exist
Or as in my previous post:
  • Hakkan jooksma. - I'm going to run; I will start running; (I am entering (/will enter) the state of running).
  • Olen jooksmas. ~ I am (being in the state of) running.
  • Lakkan jooksmast. = Lõpetan jooksmise. - I am stopping the running process; I will stop running; (I am exiting (will exit) the state of running)
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

Suvi

Postby Suvi » 2012-09-25, 15:57

ainurakne Aitäh! :)

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”