Estonian Language Blog on Blogger and Tumblr

Moderator: aaakknu

corcaighist

Estonian Language Blog on Blogger and Tumblr

Postby corcaighist » 2010-02-28, 10:52

Tere kõigile!

Laikige, järgige, jagage!

The existing Estonian Language Blog on blogspot has just been joined by its sister blog on Tumblr! The fun continues here.

I will write different posts on the two, shorter ones on Tumblr and longer ones on Blogger.

Mul on uus eesti keele blogi, leiate selle Tumblrist. Vana eesti keele blogi leiate samast kohast, kust ennegi. Kirjutan kahes blogis erinevaid postitusi, lühemaid Tumblrisse, pikemaid Bloggerisse.
Last edited by corcaighist on 2013-09-07, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.

kloie

Re: An Estonian Language Blog

Postby kloie » 2011-10-24, 11:20

i love the site

hashi

Postby hashi » 2011-10-24, 22:10

I've seen this before and I like it :)

Loiks

Postby Loiks » 2011-11-06, 11:32

Read your blog. Everthing is very well explained, but... We have the forth case which is partitive plural. The native speakers always think how it is "correct". It was even a question in national memory game what is the part. pl. of vesi? The answer: vesi :D You have to go into Finnish to understand it, it-s vesi: vesiä and probably in proto-Finnic veti:vetitä.

corcaighist

Postby corcaighist » 2012-05-27, 20:45

I've added Finnish to the list of languages I am dabbing in and so I have made a new blog where I translate everything I learn in Finnish into Estonian. So if anyone is interested in what's the same, what's similar and what's different they could check out the blog. It's only just started today so I have only two posts written thus far but I hope to have more as the weeks go on and I learn more. Aitäh kõigile ja kiitos!

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2012-06-01, 14:15

Two nice blogs! Once my exams are over, and I take up Estonian again, I'm going to look into them more thoroughly. Any chance you're going to continue updating your first blog? :)
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Understands (sv) Understands (dk) Studied (ja)
[flag=Mom's side of the family]fo[/flag] Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs) Playing with (ga)

corcaighist

Postby corcaighist » 2012-06-01, 14:34

I should update it soon yes! :-) It's been a while now. I will after having handed in my final assignments next week.

Aleco

Postby Aleco » 2012-06-02, 18:16

Take your time! Like I said, I've got my own things to do. Besides, I'm just a beginner, so I'll have tons to go through anyway :)
Native (no) Fluent (en-us)
Understands (sv) Understands (dk) Studied (ja)
[flag=Mom's side of the family]fo[/flag] Study now and then (et) Curious about (cs) Playing with (ga)

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2012-06-03, 12:06

First of all your Finnish and Estonian blog is awesome. :waytogo:
I am learning Finnish myself also, a little, and I have already found quite many things in your blog that I didn't know yet. So, many thanks for sharing.

I have also couple of comments about your blog, if you don't mind:

Mä pidän

Actually, when I started to learn Finnish and heard phrases minä pidän/en pidä, then for some reason I knew instantly what they meant. It seems to me that I have heard something similar in Estonian (maybe in some dialects), especially in negative sentences, for example:
'Ma ei pea sinust palju.' or 'Ma ei pea eriti piimast.' (maybe someone wiser than me can elaborate on this one), although, maybe I just confuse it with a phrase '(kellest/millest) lugu pidama', which nowadays means mostly 'to respect someone/something', but is also widely used like this: 'Ma ei pea piimast eriti lugu.' = I don't like milk very much / I am not very fond of milk / milk is not one of my favorites.

Also mieluummin is meelsamini in Estonian (meelsasti - meelsamini - kõige meelsamini or meelsaimini), so your sentences can be in Estonian also:
'Mulle meeldib televisioon, aga ma kuulan meelsamini raadiot.' and 'Neile meeldib vesi, aga nad joovad meelsamini viina.'
Eelistama seems to be more formal word.

Question words

'Milliselt maalt sa pärit oled?', also possible 'Kust maalt sa pärit oled?' and 'Mis maalt sa pärit oled?'
'Millises linnas sa elad?', but also 'Kus linnas sa elad?' and 'Mis linnas sa elad?'

Also you are omitting some case endings of some pronouns (sellel nädalal, sellel laual; selle is genitive) and adjectives (väikeses külas, again väikese is genitive).
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

corcaighist

Postby corcaighist » 2012-06-07, 13:49

Thanks for the comments, help and corrections! I should proofread more so as not to embarrass myself with stupid errors :-)

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2012-06-18, 16:21

No problemo! I've got always bunch of errors even in my texts that I write in Estonian, always have to re-read many times to find all the words that I have forgotten and left out (this kind of mistakes are difficult to notice).

I also read your blog again, after a long time - standard Finnish grammar is not very difficult for me, but that colloquial Finnish is just so weird and strange. I am not sure if I ever get a hang on it.

Also some comments, since I had trouble to post them there (into your blog):

mennääks

• Haluamme or we want is tahame. Tahaksime is conditional and means 'we would want' / 'we would like to...'
  • Soja has only 'j' in it.
  • Ooper has no 'a' in it.

more excercises

• 'Nad sundisid mind seda tegema'. But if you really want to use finished action, then 'Nad sundisid mind seda ära tegema' and maybe even 'Nad sundisid mind see ära teha' is possible, but the safest bet would be then 'Nad sundisid mind, et ma selle ära teeksin'.
  • 'Ta kandideerib ülikooli (õppima)' - '-ma' infinitive is also illative, like Finnish third infinitive in the illative case.
  • 'Jookse sinna (or sinnapoole) vaatama'; sinna(to there) - seal(there) - sealt(from there); vaatlema means to observe.

laktoositon & privatives and past passive participles

vigadeta (veata) - there is also veatu.
There is actually some differences between '-ta' of abessive and '-tu' suffix (although it's difficult to explain, since English doesn't seem to distinguish the meanings that much):

In case of some words, the first one means 'without something' or 'doesn't have something' (for example veata - without a flaw, doesn't have a flaw) and the second one makes a new concept from the word ('veatu' - flawless, perfect).

But the meaning of other words (mostly verbs, it seems) changes like this:
  • olemata - not happened (yet); olematu - non-existent
  • kirjutamata - not written, unwritten; kirjutamatu - unwritable
  • pesemata - unwahed; pesematu (or maybe even pestamatu) - unwashable

There are also words like:
  • lugemata - unread, (uncounted)
  • lugematu(loendamatu) - uncountable
  • loetamatu - unreadable

Actually verbs seem to follow this rule: '...matu' = 'mitte ...v' (for example: teostamatu = mitte teostatav (not accomplishable/achieveble))

EDIT: there was a mistake above, '...matu' is correct.
Also: '...mata' = 'mitte ...tud'/'ei ole ...tud' (for example: teostamata = mitte teostatud / ei ole teostatud (not accomplished/achieved))

Finnish present perfect

• 'Ma olen alati unistanud elust teatris'
  • 'Me oleme kõik õlled ära joonud'(we have drunk all the beers, all the bottles/cans are empty now) or 'Me oleme kogu õlle ära joonud'(we have drunk all of the beer) - notice that finished action (achievement) of jooma requires also ära.

exercise on the perfect

• 'Ma avan akna' - it depends on the context, but I think the best translation for it would be 'I will open the window'. 'I am opening the window' requires partitive: 'Ma avan akent'. Same with 'me avame akna'.
  • I guess in colloquial language it doesn't matter, but otherwise 'kust kohast' would be better than 'kus kohast'.
  • 'Kas sa oled teate jätnud' - genitive.
  • 'Ma olen seda märganud' - märkamine is always a process, for some reason.
  • 'Ma olen temaga kohtunud' or 'Ma olen teda kohanud'. Same with the negative sentence.

pappi raiskama

There are two different words of raisk. One declenates raisk - raisu - raisku and is the short form of raiskamine (for example: ajaraisk = waste of time), the other declenates raisk - raisa - raiska and is used, as you said, for swearing/cursing (another word with the same meaning is raibe), but its original meaning should be something like 'not very fresh corpse' (raisasööja/raipesööja = an animal who doesn't usually kill, but eats already dead animals).

Loss is most likely a German loan, native (and probably older) words for a castle are for example linnus and kindlus - those two are mostly defensive structures, but, for me, loss is more like a pompous building for kings and such.

Also, to violate is not the only meaning of vägistama. Vägistamine is mostly 'millegi vägisi tegemine' = using force to do or achieve something, doing something forcefully / with (brute) force.
It comes from vägi, which is like force or strength (either physical or magical) and nowadays also an armed force or an army.
For example, if you are a person who uses brute force to tighten nuts and bolts, then you 'vägistad mutreid ja polte' - an action that usually causes something to break :D

Sorry for such a long post :oops:
I just love to explain...
Last edited by ainurakne on 2012-06-20, 20:32, edited 2 times in total.
Eesti keel (et) native, English (en) I can manage, Suomi (fi) trying to learn, Pусский (ru)&Deutsch (de) unfortunately, slowly fading away

corcaighist

Postby corcaighist » 2012-06-20, 19:33

No. Don't be! I like explanations. :-) I'll make those changes tomorrow. Suur aitäh! Edukat soome keele õppimist sulle!

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2012-06-20, 20:40

You're welcome!
And thanks, I'll try to do my best... after I get the new antenna up... to watch Finnish channels without large green and purple pixels :D

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2012-06-25, 22:38

Hei, I may be able to help you with that '' (Colloquial Estonian question marker in The Estonian Language Blog). I'm pretty sure it has evolved from 'või'(or) - at least I sometimes use 'või' that way, since '' sounds so very childish.

I think it has evolved like this (I took your sentence, although I think it's not the best for this example):
  • 'Kas sa lähed koju või mitte?' or maybe even 'Lähed (sa) koju või ei (lähe)?'
  • This has contracted to '(Kas sa) lähed koju või?'
  • And now some people use '' instead of 'või': 'Lähed koju vä?'

But I haven't heard anyone use just 'ä' instead of '', yet.

'Kas vajatakse autot Tallinnas?' - I think that adessive + 'on vaja' is used more often than the verb 'vajama': 'mul on vaja', 'sul on vaja', etc..., (actually allative (mulle on vaja), ablative (mult on vaja) and elative (must on vaja) forms exist also).
This can be transformed to passive very easily by omitting the person(or whatever is used) and just using 'on vaja', for example: 'Kas on vaja autot Tallinnas?' or 'Kas on autot vaja Tallinnas?'

corcaighist

Postby corcaighist » 2012-09-27, 19:38

Wow! Can't believe I missed this post! Anna andeks! Suur aitäh abi eest!

gelled01

Postby gelled01 » 2013-01-17, 13:05

I am looking to learn Estonian from a long time but not gating any teacher but now..
When i got this site with this topic got lots of things here and now starting again .
teach

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2013-04-06, 10:08

Vaatasin jälle üle pika aja sinu eesti keele blogi. Palju õnne ka minu poolt tasemeeksami eduka sooritamise puhul! :D

Üks kommentaar su viimase postituse kohta: musa mitmuse osastav ei ole tegelikult mussi, need on täiesti iseseisvad sõnad (nom. - gen. - part.):
ainsus: musa - musa - musa; mitmus: musad - musade - musasid (muse*)
Aga kuna esimese kolme käände ainsuse vormidel ei ole võimalik ilma kontekstita vahet teha, siis võib-olla just seetõttu on tekkinud ka teistsugune vorm:
ainsus: muss - mussi - .mussi; mitmus: mussid - .musside (musse*) - .musse (.mussisi(d))

* tärniga on sõnade vormid, mis on põhimõtteliselt võimalikud, aga mida sa ei pruugi kunagi kuulda.
----------

Pikemad võõrsõnad, millel on rõhk kusagil sõna tagaosas, eriti just kahekordse täishäälikuga puhul, näiteks -ioon ja -eerima - need ei ole ilmselt inglise keelest pärit. Varem ma arvasin, et äkki osad neist on tulnud vene keelest, aga keegi siin foorumis tõi välja hoopis saksa keele.
Tegelikult see ongi palju loogilisem: näiteks sõna traditsioon; saksa keeles on see Tradition, kuid viimast o-d hääldatakse pea sama pikalt kui eesti keeleski. Seega võivad sellised sõnad olla eesti keeles juba üsna vanad.

Aga kuna eestlastele meeldivad lühikesed sõnad, mille rõhk asetseb esimesel silbil, siis see võibki olla üheks põhjuseks, miks tänapäeval tekib nii palju uusi ja väga lühikesi inglise keelest üle võetud sõnu.
Näiteks skännima on minu meelest palju mugavam öelda kui skaneerima; samuti on palju suupärasem kopima sõna kopeerima asemel.
Lühikestel, kuni kahesilbilistel sõnadel on ka see hea omadus, et neid on väga mõnus käänata ja pöörata, kuna saab kasutada astmevaheldust (pika/ülipika astme vahetumist) ilma, et sõnarõhk liiguks esimselt silbilt mujale. Näiteks sõna cheat eestikeelne variant:
ainsus: tsiit - tsiidi - .tsiiti; mitmus: tsiidid - .tsiitide - .tsiite/.tsiitisid
.tsiitima/.tsiitida: tsiidin, tsiidid, tsiidib, ..., .tsiitisin, .tsiitisid, .tsiitis, ...

P.S. Ma loodan, et kui ma eesti keeles kirjutan, on see nüüd juba sinu jaoks täiesti arusaadav.

corcaighist

Re: Estonian Language Blog on Blogger and Tumblr

Postby corcaighist » 2013-09-07, 13:00

Bump with a new blog.

ainurakne

Postby ainurakne » 2013-09-10, 21:42

Hei, I read your blog post about "Lase oma sisemine sportlane välja." from your older blog and I started thinking that isn't ".välja" actually just the illative form of "väli"? And not an adverb.

Especially considering that inessive (väljas) and elative (väljast) forms also exist. And they all look just like the respective forms of "väli". It seems to me that in this case "väli" was originally "large open space/area" as an opposite to small confined space, and so ".välja"/"väljas"/"väljast" has over time become the general word for 'out'.

There is also this "väli-" prefix, for example "välitöö" (work that is done outdoors / can be done outdoors only) and "välikäimla" (toilet which is located outside the house).

nhanvan

Postby nhanvan » 2014-09-14, 4:02

Hi everyone,
I am beginner to study Estonian language, I am struggling so searching the resources through internet but still not available. I am looking for some share link books with audios for reference.
I really need your help. Thank you!

Return to “Estonian (Eesti keel)”